EnduroGuard Suit from BMW Motorrad

• Administrators

BMW has a new "whale foreskin" suit out called the EnduroGuard.  I had their Rallye 3 suit and it was actually very good.  This one appears to have more of an enduro or off-road functionality, which I welcome given the type of riding I prefer.

What do you think?

Video:

And another featuring Adventure Brothers' Shawn Thomas

From their press release:

Product Highlights:

New generation suit for off-road use, waterproof
Highly abrasion-resistant shell of dynatec and dynatec stretch, with a ceraspace layer in some areas, a BMW innovation in cooperation with Schoeller Textil AG
3-layer laminate with BMW Climate Membrane™ membrane, wind and waterproof, highly breathable
NP2 protectors on back, shoulders, elbows, hips and knees (infinitely height-adjustable)
Coccyx protector, retrofittable
Extremely good all-round ventilation through many generously sized ventilation options, double front zipper as an AirVent system
Lining – 100% polyester; Mesh lining in jacket and pants and 3D-Mesh on the back, breathable and elastic
8 jacket pockets, 7 of which are waterproof, men's jacket with additional breast pocket, 3 pants pockets, 1 of which is a key holder (ideal for Keyless Ride)
Sleeves and legs can be opened wide, recessed cuffs provide protection in foul weather
Wind guards and recessed cuffs in the jacket provides effective protection against wind and rain
Waterproof storm hood integrated into the collar
Leather patches on the insides of the knees for a secure grip on the tank when riding off-road
Snap buttons on the jacket front are concealed to avoid scratching the tank; and hook-and-loop straps allow a variety of width adjustments and ventilation openings
Reflective print on the jacket
Attachment zipper: all-around and 40 cm
Comfort fit
Colors: Men’s jacket in grey or black, women’s jacket in grey, both pants in black
Ladies' sizes: 34-48, 72-88, 18-22
Men's sizes: 46-66, 98-118, 24-32
MSRP: Jacket - $949.00   Pants - $649.00
EnduroGuard Gloves for men and women also available, featuring ceraspace and two-chamber technology, in sizes 6/6.5 – 12/12.5

• Administrators

These higher end jackets get pretty spendy.  Klim's adventure rally jacket is $1700!

Couple observations:

• Note they say "externally waterproof" and no need for liners.  That was a huge complaint on the Rallye 3; only the liner was waterproof so you'd have this soaking wet shell still cooling your body when you don't want it and it would just make you cold and miserable, not to mention heavy and then hoping it dried overnight
  • The badging is subdued but maybe too much.  Admittedly I stopped wearing the Rallye 3 because I didn't want to look like everyone else or a noob but this look is a bit odd.  I think they could have embossed it or something like I've seen in other jackets.
  • I think a suit that's designed for off road should play up the armor, flexibility and air flow first and foremost and then showcase the other options.  This kind of had a laundry list of features they wanted to bang out with no kind of priority to it.  I get it but I think they missed an opportunity.
  • I think their boots sucked but BMW tends to make pretty good suits.  A huge advantage for them though is their dealer network and selling this at the same time a motorcycle is purchased.  They have invested quite a bit in merchandising so you can bet they're getting big margins on this and will require their dealers to stock, probably at the expense of other brands.

• Administrators

Another glaring omission is there's no integrated hydration option.  Sure, many riders address that with number of after-market over the shoulder options but I don't know who rides off road who doesn't need at least 3 liters of water somewhere accessible.  I did see a strap on the front that looks like it might be to hold down a hydration tube.

Another interesting angle is that if this suit is more enduro/off road focussed then why the RT bike?  It's BMW saying well this is a do-it-all jacket you can use for anything.  Not sure about that.  When you try to be everything how good can you be at one thing?

Still, I think this will sell well to the typical BMW customer who isn't that dirt savvy to begin with.  I sure wasn't when I bought mine in 2011.

Another glaring omission is there's no integrated hydration option.  Sure, many riders address that with number of after-market over the shoulder options but I don't know who rides off road who doesn't need at least 3 liters of water somewhere accessible.  I did see a strap on the front that looks like it might be to hold down a hydration tube.
Another interesting angle is that if this suit is more enduro/off road focussed then why the RT bike?  It's BMW saying well this is a do-it-all jacket you can use for anything.  Not sure about that.  When you try to be everything how good can you be at one thing?
Still, I think this will sell well to the typical BMW customer who isn't that dirt savvy to begin with.  I sure wasn't when I bought mine in 2011.

I like the minimal look, good ventilation, advanced fabric--in my Klim gear I feel often like an astronaut
  • Like 1