GPX 5.5 Enduro Jacket from Leatt

• 2 months later...

Has anyone played with this jacket some more?

Just got mine today, so just fitting it and stuff now.  First tried it on without armour and it felt HUGE! but with my leatt Airfit 3DF suit it feels really good.  Used the adjster tabs to get if pretty fitted.  The sleeves are really long though! Wow!   I guess it's to help with manoeuvrability when riding.

Just struggling with the brace integration.  The little booklet has some diagrams telling you told the collar over on itself and tie it back like that, then put the brace on and hook the "brace-on" tabs over it's wings.  I cannot get that to work.   Leaving the collar as it is the brace fits pretty good but there's no way the brace-on tabs are hooking over the wings.  I figure it's close enough though I'll add some pics later.

• Like 1

Just using the brace over the jacket (rear strut in the rear pocket provided:

CFF7F847-E78F-4AF4-8D02-DFCA3DB08E10_zps

Tried folding the collar like in the booklet

22249FF9-8B21-491F-83D2-95079FAD62CE_zps

47529C29-437A-4E36-8FEA-529B2D5F579B_zps

It;s ugly but I guess it works.  Still battle to get the tabs over the NB wings nice and securely

809F57F8-8D41-4594-816A-CE0441445CA2_zps

915FD397-CAA6-4BB8-ABB3-903E22EC9351_zps

Edited by Roadhawg011
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

leatt GPX 5.5 enduro jacket + leatt 3DF airfit body protector have landed in switzerland and gone through customs ($60 to be paid in import taxes).

should have them at the beginning of next week.

just can't wait to test these out together.

woo hoo! package got delivered today (it left the USA on Aug 3 - fast!) :wub:

first impressions.

in the package was a Leatt GPX 5.5 Enduro Jacket, black/grey color, and a Leatt 3DF Airfit Body Protector.

it was sooooo light, i was sure they had forgotten to pack the jacket or the body protector. or had just shipped thin air ^^

but no, everything was in there. the weight difference of both pieces together as opposed to the Klim Adventure Rally is just astounding - although i am going to be fair and not compare both jackets.

the jacket i took is a size L, chosen as per Leatt's recommendation that customers should go with their usual size. the jacket is designed to accommodate the body armor underneath and there is therefore no need to size up. upon trying it with just a t-shirt, it was a "perfect" fit... taking into consideration that the body armor still needed to be added underneath. it has a nice cut and doesn't look baggy or bulky or awkward either.

the body protector is the L/XL size, chosen as per the recommendation on the leatt website (based on height). again a perfect fit, i kept my thin and slim fit t-shirt underneath. i suppose these are mostly designed with guys in mind - but i may be wrong. and well us girls have some differences, notably in the chest and hip area. but it remains comfortable. and doesn't press or compress or else.

and upon trying the jacket over it, everything falls into place. it is still roomy enough and certainly does not hinder movement in any way. and means i could very easily wear a jersey over the body protector and, if needed, still add an extra layer of technical clothing, in case of cold weather.

i think that i actually like the feeling of having the body armor directly on me and not "floating" about in a jacket.

only tried it in my flat for now. tomorrow, it will be on the bike!

so far, so good.

598dcf77d15f4_LeattGPX5.5EnduroJacketL.thumb.jpg.0d3fccaedff34c56236114710a04567f.jpg

598dcf72ba1fe_Leatt3DFAirFitBodyProtectorL-XL.thumb.jpg.12d70b5e88443e14633c26a2b7c0e097.jpg

Edited by beemer bunny

I'm still enjoying mine.  I've used it on pretty cold mornings, and then up to afternoons in the mid 20degC region and its comfortable for both  (South African winters are pretty mild though)

I do get frustrated trying to get the back of the bloody neck brace into the pocket sometimes, and also getting the "Brace-On" tabs to clip into the necbrace nicely.  You either need to be a contortionist or ask a friend for help....Which I don't do, because, ya know....I'm a stubborn man.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 4/3/2017 at 1:07 PM, Eric Hall said:

I shared this photo of Leatt's GPX 5.5 Enduro jacket on Instagram last year and it really blew up.  I shared it twice actually.  The first time it got 72.5k impressions then the second time it was 72.4k impressions.  I guess just the look is very compelling!

Before you hear my initial observations, please check out their product page here and then Chaparral has a video review here:

Leatt did send us one to review and I finally got the chance to wear it but before I review it I want to get more time with it.  I wore it this past weekend for the first time and want to wear it some more before I write a more complete review.

Here are some preliminary observations...

• This is truly designed as an ENDURO jacket meaning the most important features are going to be fit, flexibility, air flow and the ability to incorporate an armor vest/jacket as a base layer.
  • So like a review on a 70/30 dirt/street tire, I'm not going to spend much time complaining how badly it performs on the pavement.  Likewise, I'm not going to spend a lot of time on how it may not be as comfortable a jacket for touring.  This for getting busy in the DIRT!
  • It's designed to be very neck brace-friendly and lives up to that 100%
  • Hydration-friendly and will integrate a 3l bladder and will suspend that bladder keeping it from sagging down too low
  • It's designed to be worn with an under layer of armor which I wore my Leatt Body Protector 5.5 (will review separately)
  • It ventilates VERY well (front, back, sleeves), especially by removing the sleeves.  I absolutely was loving that feature last weekend in the 80 degree temps
  • It's quite stretchy which makes it very comfortable on the bike when you're moving around a lot
  • Adjustable sleeves, hip and torso
  • Quite a few functional pockets, especially the rear where you can store the sleeves

I will give this jacket some more time to use and provide a more thorough review with likes and dislikes.

FYI - the link to this jacket has changed to this:  https://www.chapmoto.com/leatt-gpx-5-5-enduro-jacket-parent-3007501781034   and the old link may stop working in the near future. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thought about starting another thread for my question but even though this one is old, its got a lot of good related info already existing, so here we go...

I have a Leatt GPX 5.5 neck brace and Leatt Adventure body armor (same as the 5.5 armor but w/o the extra flank protection).  Taking out the removable sections of upper armor makes the neck brace lock into the suit perfectly, super secure and very comfortable.  Here is the problem,  you can't wear a jersey over top of the armor due to the way the brace locks into it.  You also can't wear a jersey under the armor because of the compression suit, second skin fit.  So what is everyone else doing?  I can cut the neck out of my jerseys to make it fit, but why am I spending $50 on a nice one just to cut it up?