GPX 5.5 Enduro Jacket from Leatt

• Administrators

I shared this photo of Leatt's GPX 5.5 Enduro jacket on Instagram last year and it really blew up.  I shared it twice actually.  The first time it got 72.5k impressions then the second time it was 72.4k impressions.  I guess just the look is very compelling!

Before you hear my initial observations, please check out their product page here and then Chaparral has a video review here:

Leatt did send us one to review and I finally got the chance to wear it but before I review it I want to get more time with it.  I wore it this past weekend for the first time and want to wear it some more before I write a more complete review.

Here are some preliminary observations...

• This is truly designed as an ENDURO jacket meaning the most important features are going to be fit, flexibility, air flow and the ability to incorporate an armor vest/jacket as a base layer.
  • So like a review on a 70/30 dirt/street tire, I'm not going to spend much time complaining how badly it performs on the pavement.  Likewise, I'm not going to spend a lot of time on how it may not be as comfortable a jacket for touring.  This for getting busy in the DIRT!
  • It's designed to be very neck brace-friendly and lives up to that 100%
  • Hydration-friendly and will integrate a 3l bladder and will suspend that bladder keeping it from sagging down too low
  • It's designed to be worn with an under layer of armor which I wore my Leatt Body Protector 5.5 (will review separately)
  • It ventilates VERY well (front, back, sleeves), especially by removing the sleeves.  I absolutely was loving that feature last weekend in the 80 degree temps
  • It's quite stretchy which makes it very comfortable on the bike when you're moving around a lot
  • Adjustable sleeves, hip and torso
  • Quite a few functional pockets, especially the rear where you can store the sleeves

I will give this jacket some more time to use and provide a more thorough review with likes and dislikes.

• Like 4

I tried using the slots, but then you can't zip the jacket up all the way.  That's pointless then.  So I tried to put the jacket over the roost then put the neck brace on the outside.  Nope.  Sits up too high.  But, if I use my A-Star chest/back protector instead everything lines up fine.  That's w/ the neck brace on the outside of the jacket.

• Like 1

I guess I really don't understand enduro jackets. I get so hot riding enduro that I am usually in a jersey and a chest protector. If it had the protection built in and would be good as a light adventure jacket then I may get interested.

I bought one to try it out and ending up sending it back. Like HeavyHustler says, the fact that you had to wear the neck brace over the jacket and not in the body protector slots was a deal breaker for me. 

The zip off collar makes it look like the jacket accommodates the neck brace/ body armor integration, but it just doesn't. It just zips off revealing a regular jacket collar. I guess it's designed more as a dust/rain cover and to keep you warmer in cold weather.  

Everything else was great about the jacket, but I couldn't get past the wonky neck brace integration.  I'm looking for a Acerbis Desertika or Fox legion Brace jacket at the moment. 

• Administrators

Mark Sicola riding LAB2V last year.  I saw him at the start and asked him how he likes the jacket.  He says "we'll see!"

He just posted up on our FB page: "Worked well for me too... It was crazy cold at Lab2v2016 and I wore it with Leatt body armor and next brace... Absolutely no issues.. Took sleeves off later in the day."

17760918_10154630167743924_2279327701374401984_o.jpg

• Administrators

When I write the review I'm going to use this analogy...  This is more an ENDURO than ADV jacket.  Some of the comments on FB point out what a lousy ADV jacket this is (too cold, no pavement abrasion resistance certification, etc...) but it's apples vs oranges.  It'd be like complaining the Motoz Tractionator Adventure tire, a 70/30 tire, doesn't handle as well on the pavement.  IT'S A 70/30 TIRE!  IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO HANDLE WELL ON THE PAVEMENT!  The things that make it such a great enduro jacket are things that make it not such a great adv jacket.  If those are your concerns then you're just not the enduro jacket customer is all.

Things I don't like about some ADV jackets I've worn is that they're really bulky, don't vent well, don't have as great an armor coverage, etc...  Like my Klim Overland jacket is great but the sleeves don't vent well.  

This type of jacket is better "suited" for me.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Mark (pictured above) just spoke w/Leatt and got some additional info about one of the pockets and its intended use vis a vis their neck brace:

I just spoke to Leatt. You can use the hard or soft armor with this jacket. The little pockets on the 5.5 hard armor are NOT for the neck brace. Leatt said you actually push those in to indent them against the armor so the neck brace will work and fit correctly. Also, you do the same on the back of the brace and you REMOVE the small pad where the neck brace would sit. (the pad is there for those who don't use a neck brace) Leatt said everyone thinks those are pockets for the neck brace when actually they aren't. Then put the 5.5 Enduro jacket over it, and then put the neck brace on how they tell you to with the pocket on the back of the jacket for the neck brace and the red clips that are built into the jacket. The neck brace actually sits on this jacket quite well when fitted correctly.

I got mine fitted this way when I picked it up at their office