New Guy in L.A.

• Administrators

Welcome Justin!  Glad to see another local here.  That's a classic bike too you got there.   It would be a shame to see it get dirty.

I hope we get to ride together soon.  Keep your eye on the Southwest forum for upcoming rides.  We have our High Sierra event Labor Day weekend but there will be lots of other stuff too.

Thanks Eric.  She's begging for a little dirt.  Doing the Dual Sport/ADV Ride 4 Kids on Saturday for her initial mud bath (looks like rain in the forecast at Lake Arrowhead).  I will keep my eyes open for rides here as well.  Looking forward to being part of the group.

• Like 1

I am loving the welcome wagon!  I have ridden every thing from 250 - GS 1200/Super Tenere off road on various terrains.  I look forward to gaining more experience both here and in the great outdoors.  I am pretty set on gear and the previous owner of the GS added some sweet farkles to make off roading a little more convenient and comfortable.  I am however new to using the navigation system (BMW/Garmin I think), so at the right time and place will have lots of questions on that. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Justin can get some Anakee Wild's but anyone can see they're a 60/40 tire.  My guess is Michelin did their market research though and realized that most big bike riders buy in the 50/50 segment and might think 60/40's are too aggressive.  That, and they tried to pull off a Jedi mind trick that because it "performed so well on the street" that it was really a 50/50 tire.  They actually said "it's really so great off road AND on-road we'd call it a 60/60 tire but that's not really possible." (eyes rolling)  Two years earlier they were calling them a 70/30 tire in development.

They have them in 21" and I hear the 18" rear is coming this year.  I'm willing to try a set to see for myself but they haven't gotten very good ratings here or at Revzilla.

• Like 1

It was more than an "Big Bike Friendly" ride should have been in my opinion.  Lots of ruts, washouts, and rough terrain.  If I was on a smaller bike it would have been a blast, but it was not a course for an intermediate big bike rider.   Nonetheless, it was a good time.  I had to turn around on one section (along with a few other big bikes) due to a steep rocky area that was not going to be worth the potential damage of not making it up. 

I look forward to a friendlier ride soon!

• Like 1