KTM 1090 R Issues

• Administrators

Lots of us fanboys getting excited for the new 1090 R coming out but let's all pause and take a more realistic look now so we have a more informed position so we're not as let down later.

To be fair, we are getting a bike with stiffer suspension or at least more dirt-worthy. We are also getting wheels that aren't made from sticks of real butter.

But do you think the air box, fuel pump, ethanol sensitive tank and fuel gauge and side stand issues have really been properly addressed?

Probably not.

Did you know there's no center stand? I was going to point out the dry weight is actually 2kg less than my 990 was new but that's essentially a center stand.

That the delivery has been delayed?

No 12v port?

That the damper is probably only suited for street use?

Sure you still don't want that Africa Twin after all?

Relax! I'm sure it's all going to be fine but this is the chatter I'm hearing from quite a few sources who prefer not to be named.

Do you have any concerns I've left out? Please share.

IMG_0186.JPG.31d0f51bd2ed735d362ea1918adb1268.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

Sure you still don't want that Africa Twin after all?

Some quality trolling there, Eric :P

Yeah, they took some things from Honda's book (don't include accessories and pretend the bike is light while still overprice it).

It still has crashbars and it's a better bike and value than the AT.

There were lots of Honda fanbois that pointed to it's lack of centerstand as a "feature" :D

• Like 1

I very rarely find myself wishing I had a centerstand on the 950SE.  If it's absolutely a must, there's a dude on AOLRider Vendors selling an adjustable prop that works as a right side stand.  Good enough for the field.  Anywhere else, I probably have a stand or a big log or a sturdy wall.  

12V?  Don't really care.  I run an SAE pigtail up front and another to the battery since the vast majority of stuff I'd plug in is USB.  Combine that with a $12 USB adaptor from Deltran (Battery Tender), and I'm happy.  SAE is more versatile and smaller anyway.  

Side stand issue?  As in, a dummy switch?  Is that even an option not to have anymore?  Too many dipshits ride away with their sidestands and crash? It's a wonder any of us survived older bikes.  Fear not, it's easily remedied in under 10min.  Snip and twist if it's a switch (probably not a switch--they break too easy), remove the magnet and epoxy together of it's a HAL effect sensor.  Or spend $30 at KTMTwins for a purpose-built dongle.  

What's the deal with the fuel gauge?  Not accurate?  So long as the reserve light comes on, I'm good.  I suspect that the vast majority of users won't really care.  Then again, I ran the 950SE at 15mpg last weekend racing the Desert100 and was on reserve from a 4-gal tank by the time I hit the pits at 50 miles.  Yowza!

What's the airbox problem?  Performance-oriented lunatics such as me will be clamoring for Rottweiler to give us a solution anyway.  Ain't nobody got time for bullshit paper filters and a corked up motor.  

How many people NEED a high performance steering damper?  I use a Scotts and I know roughly how to use it.  Most riding doesn't require it.  High speed desert stuff does, and new knobs on grooved pavement have me cranking it to the max.  Otherwise...meh.  

Edited by brian.havoc1
  • Like 1

Hey guys.  Just signed up to weigh in here.    Stu from South Africa (1190R wannabe)

I've been having this argument with guys on local forums about the 1090R.  Firstly the  "New bike!!!" thing is a bit of a stretch.....It's an 1190R with less bits and less power....Look at it. It's an 1190 with a different sticker kit.

Then there's a bunch of guys going   "YES!!! This is the KTM I've been waiting for!! Lightweight and more dirt oriented!!!"       

Uhm.....Really?  Lightweight? It's like 5kgs lighter than the 1190.  Or you could say, the weight of a Centrestand, TPMS  system and leanable ABS system lighter:D all of which it's missing. At the moment any 1190Rs you find on a showroom floor will be heavily discounted so the dealers can shift em before the new bikes come in...at the same price roughly. So even on pricing you're not winning.

I checked part numbers on the parts list and the 1090R rims are the exact same part number as the new Akront rims the 2016 1190R came with. So no  upgrade there. 

I'll bet my whole life the Airbox is the same as the 2015 1190.

The forks are the same with 1 part number different, which apparently counts for stiffer springs.  Same travel.

Rear shock does seem to be the biggest thing changed being a PDS setup.  I'll give em that.  (Hopefully it'll be a nice upgrade for the 1190 someday, although there was a new shock for the 2016 1190 which they say doesn't bottom out as easy as previous years)

While looking at the parts diagrams I noticed that there wasn't even a steering damper listed (where it is specifically shown on the 1190 page)......So maybe it doesn't come with one???? 

Edited by Roadhawg011
  • Like 3

On 4/9/2017 at 1:35 PM, 556baller said:

I like the info from these reviews. Does anyone personally know any of these guys? I'm curious about there backgrounds, and interest in relation to the industry. 

I personally know almost all the reviewers. On this press launch.  They are all moto journos.  Rob and Rennie are both great guys and do honest work.  

• Administrators

Review by Scott Hoffman of DirtBikeTest.  I've taken Jimmy Lewis' class twice and had Scott teach me quite a bit there, so he knows what he's talking about for sure. 

He did mention his wheels were still round after the end of the test, so that's nice to hear.  Had I been there I would have inspected each bike on the last morning to see what percent were without major dings.

FirstRide-KTM1090R-static-1.jpg

FirstRide-KTM1090R-act-11.jpg

• 4 months later...