Ryan from MD

Hi all,

I have a Versys and a Grom (and a few other bikes) that I've been using to commute and tour all over the US for the last 3 years. Last November I finally put some knobbies on the Versys and have been off-roading all over the east coast hitting all the events I can. I've been enjoying the XLADV Instagram account and figured this would be a good, like-minded forum for those who actually hit the dirt. My versys motor died last week after ingesting a ton of dirt then losing oil pressure, but I've procured a low-mile used one for cheap. Hopefully I'll see some of you guys out there!

Here's a picture from exploring Big Bend NP

IMG_20151109_173735.thumb.jpg.f6bc5ed897d46d2b79e2715191b7fb13.jpg

One from the way of riding my grom up to Canada:

One from riding the Dirty Santa event in PA:

Here is one from racing Sandblast Rally in SC:

70695742-RallyGirlRacingPhotos_SandblastRally2017_12.2-226.jpg.604aa78b0f356aad809b320e320087aa.jpg

One last one from exploring Florida:

DSC01548.thumb.JPG.6261a78ce97c9ae32496320498942502.JPG

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:28 PM, 556baller said:

Welcome aboard, looks like some awesome riding. I've been reading about the Sand Blast Rally, get some!!!

Sandblast is awesome fun. NASA holds some rallies out on the west coast too. If they are anything like the ones here then they are definitely worth checking out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ride at BBNP frequently.  If you took your Versys with those tires(from your Big Bend photo)on Black Gap, Old Ore and River Road(portion along Rio Grande) in the park, you're downright manly!

Edited by kojack06

19 minutes ago, kojack06 said:

I ride at BBNP frequently.  If you took your Versys with those tires (from your Big Bend photo)on Black Gap, Old Ore and River Road(portion along Rio Grande) in the park, you're downright manly!

Sadly my trip to BBNP was a rushed weekend trip from Louisiana so I only rode one jeep road/trail after checking out some tourist stuff; I will have to check a map to see which one it was. I know it wasn't River Road, which I thick has a section of steps to it. Its on my list to go back and ride them all though.

21 minutes ago, onewheelwheatley said:

Sadly my trip to BBNP was a rushed weekend trip from Louisiana so I only rode one jeep road/trail after checking out some tourist stuff; I will have to check a map to see which one it was. I know it wasn't River Road, which I thick has a section of steps to it. Its on my list to go back and ride them all though.

You might have taken Old Maverick Rd to Santa Elena pass. Thats the dirt road to the right of the park entrance coming from Study Butte. I'm still looking at your photo and trying to place it in the park.

I really like the Versys. Just wish it had spoked wheels and the front was nineteen inches. I congratulate you on taking trips while you're young. I was married to the US Army and fully engaged with that proverbial career...

Edited by kojack06
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kojack06 said:

You might have taken Old Maverick Rd to El Selena pass. Thats the dirt road to the right of the park entrance coming from Study Butte. I'm still looking at your photo and trying to place it in the park.

I really like the Versys. Just wish it had spoked wheels and the front was nineteen inches. I congratulate you on taking trips while you're young. I was married to the US Army and fully engaged that proverbial career...

I forgot about Old Maverick, I rode that too. I just looked over a map of the NP, the picture is from the north section of Old Ore. I rode it on Sunday as I was exiting the park. Made it about 6 miles in before checking my map and realizing that it was 20 more miles in the wrong direction and decided to turn back. The part I rode was easy but I hear the southern part of it is harder. I wish I had planned better so that I could of rode it south to north on my way out.

I agree about the versys, they need to offer an adventure model of it. I figured I should make the best use of my youth and travel, but I see the benefits of setting up a nice retirement plan where you have full freedom.