Honda CRF250L Rally

• Administrators

So not an XL but more #XSADV, the new CRF250L Rally from Honda is out.

I get to go play with one at Johnny Campbell's house!  How cool is that?

CRF250L_2017_01.jpg

From an adventure perspective, many have looked at this bike as an ideal round the world adventure bike given it's fairing and bigger gas tank.  Sure it's weak on power but @One Steph Beyond seems to enjoy hers and she's been to every continent!

I'm anxious to check it out and will report back here as well as over at ThumperTalk.

• Like 1

This is a interesting concept, I'm already hearing all kinds of BS anecdotal examples of why small bikes are not a good idea. 

Here's an analogy;

If at one point you had 1 ton Super Duty as a service truck, and then you changed it to a Toyota pick up truck for what ever the reasons. You still work in the same field, you do the same job...

From personal experience, you would have to reconsider what it is your packing for tools, the Toyota will not carry what the Super Duty will. That's not to say it couldn't for some cases when you just have to make it happen, but in general it's not happening. 

I figure this holds true to the 250 ADV bike concept.

Yes/No? 

• Administrators

no doubt you'd have to carry a lot less with a 250.  With panniers, racks then tools, tubes, water, oil, bag, pad, cooking gear, etc... you hit 60 lbs really fast.

I think more likely it's used as a first bike or an extra bike for local trail stuff.

Some guy on the FB post said he's doing the TAT on his

I see both sides of the coin for this.

I spent a month aboard an XT225 and loved it, even doing some weekend camping trips off it. I wouldn't complain about using the new rally for a solo RTW trip but I'd be mindful of what I'm bringing (plus I dig the looks).

On the other hand I  test rode a WR250R and found it pretty underwhelming compared  to what I thought it would be. I imagine the CRF falls between the XT and WR in terms of power and suspension.

I think it comes down to what are your expectations for it. It's no race bike or touring mule, but it can probably reluctantly do both if you ask it to.

• Like 1

Potentially good attributes; 

-great fuel mileage

- Low price point

- low cost tires

- vast tire options

- light weight 

- lower cost parts

- little to no electronics 

- no extra gadgets 

- Honda's legendary reliability 

The 250 platform strikes me as almost an endurance type set up, it's like owning a 4 cylinder Toyota. Can the 250L be the 4 cylinder Toyota of the ADV market? With that in mind, Toyota trucks only appeal to certain people. I think it's going to be the same with the moto community. 

• Like 2

When I talk to other riders, or people that show interest in the idea of ADV type stuff I share a few things. 

- I have the bike I have, when I picked it up, I liked it for all kinds of reasons. Living in the Oceanside at the time, and all the riding I did for a few years, I realized that I could have done that on any number of smaller bikes. Meaning, In my mind I told myself I needed the ultimate 2 wheeled machine to mash my 3 mile "commute" down the PCH to work. I would have had a good time making that same ride on Honda Ruckus, that's just me though. 

- I did at best a couple trips a year that were 200+ miles, usually one trip in the 1000 range. 

- Fast Forward, I live in the High Desert now. A smaller platform could open up a lot trails based on fuel mileage alone. 

I'm curious if the 250 Rally will hit dealerships in the same way the Africa Twin did. Meaning, will the small dealers get any real numbers? I was curious about the AT, naturally I went to my local Honda dealer and asked, their response; "Where lucky if we get 1 AT, and by the time it gets here they might as well call it a 2017". 

If it is anything like the weapons industry, all the big dealers get the bikes. Mom and Pop dealers get to fight for the scraps. Then you'll see them for sale over MSRP...

• Like 1

• Administrators

The CRF250L is the #1 selling dual sport bike in the US with about a 20% share.  I'll have pics of the L model shortly too but there are some updated looks for it as well.  Probably the best trail bike in the world.  Nothing like a 990 or a 450 rally bike; this Rally model is referred to as a "rally replica" and is still basically a trail bike.  I'd liken it to a Honda CRV in desert tan with black rims and off road tires.  Review shortly linked from ThumperTalk.

• Like 1