Honda CRF250L Rally

• Administrators

So not an XL but more #XSADV, the new CRF250L Rally from Honda is out.

I get to go play with one at Johnny Campbell's house!  How cool is that?

CRF250L_2017_01.jpg

From an adventure perspective, many have looked at this bike as an ideal round the world adventure bike given it's fairing and bigger gas tank.  Sure it's weak on power but @One Steph Beyond seems to enjoy hers and she's been to every continent!

I'm anxious to check it out and will report back here as well as over at ThumperTalk.

• Like 1

• Administrators

no doubt you'd have to carry a lot less with a 250.  With panniers, racks then tools, tubes, water, oil, bag, pad, cooking gear, etc... you hit 60 lbs really fast.

I think more likely it's used as a first bike or an extra bike for local trail stuff.

Some guy on the FB post said he's doing the TAT on his

I see both sides of the coin for this.

I spent a month aboard an XT225 and loved it, even doing some weekend camping trips off it. I wouldn't complain about using the new rally for a solo RTW trip but I'd be mindful of what I'm bringing (plus I dig the looks).

On the other hand I  test rode a WR250R and found it pretty underwhelming compared  to what I thought it would be. I imagine the CRF falls between the XT and WR in terms of power and suspension.

I think it comes down to what are your expectations for it. It's no race bike or touring mule, but it can probably reluctantly do both if you ask it to.

• Like 1

• Administrators

The CRF250L is the #1 selling dual sport bike in the US with about a 20% share.  I'll have pics of the L model shortly too but there are some updated looks for it as well.  Probably the best trail bike in the world.  Nothing like a 990 or a 450 rally bike; this Rally model is referred to as a "rally replica" and is still basically a trail bike.  I'd liken it to a Honda CRV in desert tan with black rims and off road tires.  Review shortly linked from ThumperTalk.

• Like 1

If you ride these Honda 250s within their means they are probably some of the best bikes out there.  Only giving it up to the wr250r because of suspension.  It's the heavy loads and freeway speeds that are always the compromise between big bikes and smaller ones.  6 speeds get these 250s up to highway speeds...eventually.   Not a lot of room for error, passing speeds, high winds, etc.. When you add heavy loads it just magnifies the short comings.  I don't think your going to be able to stretch out gears with sprocket changes on this one, because of the lower power, and if anything dual sporters probably want the more low end grunt and will want to gear a bit lower.  

Ive searched for the perfect do it all and it's hard and I've wasted plenty of money and time. Buying and selling bikes. I bet if your honest with yourself and how you ride this, it's could be one of the best bikes out there.  minimum freeway, lighter loads, no king of the motos routes, and ride around the 50 miles of whoops in San Felipe.   

• Like 2

I applaud Honda for making these affordable bikes. I'm really trying to get more younger people into dual sport/adventure riding so we can grow the recreation and sustain it. Having affordable bikes and gear is important. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kojack06 said:

I applaud Honda for making these affordable bikes. I'm really trying to get more younger people into dual sport/adventure riding so we can grow the recreation and sustain it. Having affordable bikes and gear is important. 

Totally agree. I think it's easy to get caught up in the reviews, mags, forums, and advertising making you think anything other then a $10k+ bike is sub standard.  And that's where the young guys flock for info.  I've been there, done that.  You get sucked in that worm hole and it's easy to be discouraged.  

Just waiting for that affordable mid size to get here.  Or some of those mid sized bikes from the euro market to show up on out shores...one day....I hope.

Edited by AdvRob
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...