Traction Control: gotta have it or no thanks?

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Dragos Stefan said:

You own the most complex and full of electronics dual sport on the market. It has throttle by wire, ABS and it's one step from getting TC. It's bigger brother, the Duke 690, already has TC, riding modes, corner ABS and so on. Why did you choose that bike, then?

Sure thing.

What else competes with it? Nothing. XR650L is close, and so is the KLR 650.... not. ;) The only electronic aid is ABS, it gets turned off when off the pavement and I conceded it's flat out better on the street. Just kiillin' you that that I don't agree with you on TC, isn't it. :P Hey, ok if you need nanny control vs. throttle & clutch control. ;)

5 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Just kiillin' you that that I don't agree with you on TC, isn't it. :P Hey, ok if you need nanny control vs. throttle & clutch control. ;)

I couldn't care less. I'm just trying to have a real, documented, conversation that should be useful.

In the end it's you who actually started this thread that you're simply not able to carry, so you resort to silly "put downs" instead of actually offering arguments or at least showing that you know what you are talking about.

• Administrators

Could have fooled me. ;) Try not to lose too much sleep over the fact that some riders simply don't want TC and this personal preference is all that matters. Read the topic title... I shared my preferences and you proceed to try to convince me how wrong I am. You win. You know more than me and must ride better that me. Better? ;)

1 minute ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Could have fooled me. ;) Try not to lose too much sleep over the fact that some riders simply don't want TC and this personal preference is all that matters. Read the topic title... I shared my preferences and you proceed to try to convince me how wrong I am. You win. You know more than me and must ride better that me. Better? ;)

I'm certainly a much worse rider than you. I do probably know more than you, at least about this.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just to have a conversation. And you do spread some false info, so yes, I addressed that.

It's you who are trying to convince me that it's stupid to like TC.

You started this thread, and your words were:

How do you feel about computer controlled traction? Love? Hate? Take it or leave it? I'd very much prefer it be an option only.

It looked like the start of a conversation. Well, I told you how I feel and you don't seem to take it well, for some reason. Also, it is an option only.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

TC is lame.  I've only ridden a handful of bikes equipped with it off road, but every time it gives me the feeling of being disconnected from the bike.  Effective throttle control across multiple surfaces is one of the best skills a rider can develop and I feel TC steals that from you.  I bet you can guess how I feel about ABS...

I don't need it but its presence doesn't make me blow a gasket either. I'm like a throttle whisperer so I can make it slide even when it doesn't want to.

I really like what the electronic nannies do for my insurance rates though. It makes a noticeable difference in my premium.

TC offroad is not a bad thing, the times when you are outside your tired, putting in long connections between fun trails or when you need to ride home.

But you gotta ride with it and see how it works on your bike. While I enjoy slipping and sliding the big bike, sometimes traction control keeps you in check.