BITD Vegas to Reno '17

I think both the ADV and the Dual Sport community has a lot of things to gain in this endeavor which is what prompted my idea and I believe Eric's as well. I have thought about doing this race for several years but I have recently formed No Limit Dual Sport and part of my reason for creating the brand is to break the dual sport stigma that dual sport riders only ride the "easy stuff, roads, etc." but as the readers of this forum know this is not the case. We ride EVERYTHING! thats the difference so showing we can compete in an event like this I suspect will be an eye opener. I will be blogging my efforts both over on my site and I will post here is Eric will allow. 

Competing with multiple bikes/teams will only help in my opinion.... To those who wish to ride and would like some help let me know I have some resources to help with prep, logistics, etc

• Like 4

• Administrators

To raise some funds I was thinking of making some t-shirts and stickers.  $50 gets you a shirt and sticker or something like that.

I'm also going to put out a call for sponsor support.  This race is an investment and I'm sure will get lots of eyeballs (as did Baja Rally) here, our Facebook page and Instagram feed.  I already have lots of sponsor logos on the bike that will be seen many more times so I'll start with them and then reach out further.  Goal would be like 13 sponsors for $250 each.

its totally doable.  Lots of ride reports from guys who have NEVER rode desert,  or very limited trail riding experience.  Its desert racing, just need to find your pace, race your own race, and have a bit of luck.  some stuff you just cant predict....weird stuff.  First year I tried to race it was going to be on a KX500.  2 other KX500s were racing, neither finished.  One snapped a peg off the frame (how do you prep for that?) and the other split 2 pipes and eventually cooked the motor. 

Having a scavenge bike handy to pull parts is a huge plus for all the weird stuff.  You never expect to have to swap things like calipers, forks, triples, subframes, etc but you will be amazed at how many people do and how many people could have finished if they had that odd ball spare.

• Like 4

Anyone heard if Johnny Campbell is coming back this year on another Africa twin?  With a rally bike winning last year, wonder how many more guys are going to cross the pond with factory rally bikes. 

Edited by AdvRob
  • Like 2

• Administrators

jacket_gpx_4.5_x-flow_black-red_1_.jpg

Here's the details on the 4.5 X Flow Jacket from Leatt:

Super Vented, X-Flow Mesh Off-Road Jacket 

The lighter off-road jacket, the GPX 4.5 is made of a lightweight shell as well as front and rear panels made of X-Flow mesh material, and a Spandura stretch panel on sides of jacket enables comfortable movement.

Its neck collar was made specifically for your neck brace to be worn over the collar, to go around your neck brace, the neck brace to be covered by the collar, or to be worn without a neck brace. It is also designed to be worn with or without your body armor. It has pre-curved, zip-off arms and for added protection the elbows are reinforced with brush guard, an ultra-thin flex film that is feather-light and increases scratch and abrasion resistance properties of the jacket’s base material.

And then specs on the 5.5 Body Armor:

Optimal Hard Shell Body Protector with 3DF AirFit Impact Foam

The hard shell 5.5 Body Protector offers chest, back, elbow, shoulder and flank protection. CE tested and certified, it scores a total of 25 points in the Leatt protection rating system. The maximum level of full-body protection that we offer riders currently, the 5.5 is the ideal piece of safety gear for any rider.

It has a 3D multi-layer, multi-plate articulating design that proves to be comfortable as well as ventilated with 53 ventilation slots. Premium hard shell protection integrated with 3D AirFit soft impact foam, the protector will conform to your body’s shape, yet the soft foam will harden immediately when subjected to impact, protecting you during a crash. The hard shell areas are made of made of high density poly ethylene (HDPE) for high impact or stone deflection. A new feature is that it has a mesh base layer as well as new anti-odor MoistureCool and AirMesh wicking fabrics. It is also compatible with Leatt neck braces.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Probably going with the Desert H/T rear (140/80-18) but I think it's tube type.  I'll see if they have tubeless or will have to go with a tube.

909-110-100-18.jpg

And Enduro I/T front in 90/100-21

MOTEI80100-21.jpg

Pacific Powersports, the Motoz distributor, says mousse in rear not a good choice given weight and heat. Maybe up front but they have a 4mm Uber Duty tube.

• Like 2

Well thought out jacket offering from Leatt. Glad they put a focus on the ventilation as this is key for me out here in the Mojave.

Those tires look very durable especially the rear! I have never ran a moose but have had huge success with the Bridgestone UHD offering..

Edited by No Limit Dual Sport
  • Like 1

If it were me, I would rather run a tube.  Ive heard issues with tubeless tires and systems that don't seal if you ding the wheel.  Its a high possibility with lots of rocks, seen and unseen, and the speeds you are going to be running.  Or at least carry a tube to get you to the next pit.

Ive also had good luck with bridgestone UHD tubes.  Only run mousse for a short time in a bike that came with them.  They were old and just felt too soft.  A buddy of mine had issues with mousse at last years vegas to reno.  2 time, it over heated, and I think they expand when they get to that point and it blew the bead off the wheel.  I will have to dig up the pics and details on it.  He ended up trashing 2 rears though.  Tubes seems like a simple reliable solution, easily fixed if anything pops up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AdvRob said:

If it were me, I would rather run a tube.  Ive heard issues with tubeless tires and systems that don't seal if you ding the wheel.  Its a high possibility with lots of rocks, seen and unseen, and the speeds you are going to be running.  Or at least carry a tube to get you to the next pit.

Ive also had good luck with bridgestone UHD tubes.  Only run mousse for a short time in a bike that came with them.  They were old and just felt too soft.  A buddy of mine had issues with mousse at last years vegas to reno.  2 time, it over heated, and I think they expand when they get to that point and it blew the bead off the wheel.  I will have to dig up the pics and details on it.  He ended up trashing 2 rears though.  Tubes seems like a simple reliable solution, easily fixed if anything pops up.

I run Tubliss in my 350 and have been very happy with it.  Only downside is using a tyre with a thin carcass, sharp rocks make for many holes.  I also add slime to fill the smaller punctures.  The Maxxis Desert IT has been the best so far.  Not sure about BB's though. 

Edited by HeavyHustler
urmum

My concern would be the high potential for a heavy bike at high speed to bend/ding a wheel.  To the point where you might not be able to seat/seal the bead. 

Last years vegas to Reno. 450x. Super high ambient temps, high speeds, and probably some bad luck.  Mousse overheated and expanded.  Caused the tire to pop the bead. They weren't the only ones this happened to either.  Had to ride to the next pit this way.

I like my simple tubes. 

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

Edited by AdvRob
  • Like 2