BITD Vegas to Reno '17

An update on Alex from Oregon who caused me to activate my SPOT.

Here is the latest update that I've seen

Hi Folks, (this from Ron Kollitz via Mom)

Quick update... we had a wreck halfway thru the Best in the Desert Vegas to Reno race. Don't know the details of the cause yet, but Alex ended up being on the wrong end of the quad and had to be air evac'd to Reno.

He ended up with a fractured scapula, multiple fractures on the spine (upper and lower back), a few fractured ribs, and a couple of minor bleeds in the head. He is dazed and confused (more than usual), has moments of clarity, but at last check, thought that it was 1976 and that Ford is president

The good news... looks like none of the fractures will require any invasive surgery. He will be in a brace (or two), for a few months, but that should be about it. They will be doing another CAT scan soon to see how the brain is doing. This will help tell us what to expect for his mental recovery (and this needs to be stabilized prior to ANY other treatment). They are waking him every hour and running him thru the mental tests. He has his moments of clarity, but time will tell...Will keep you updated here.

Desert racing while fun can be very dangerous, and you are at the mercy of your fellow racers. I stayed with him for 45 minutes and the clarity rings true while I was on location waiving cars around and reassuring him that help was on the way. I departed with 2 helicopters, but neither was a medical transport. That took longer still, we all need to pray for his speedy recovery
  • Like 1

Some carnage photos of my XR. Final tally I am down 5 spokes with a 6th about to break.

Bent my protaper bars, twisted front end, rough/bent vanguard.

Helmet is a bit crashed up from my high side at mile 98 or 100, and a massive bruise from landing on a softball sized rock with bumm91ab53381088e06f5cdb77733252e757.jpgb6113d4012b322d8df969d7a69ed0813.jpg120c23cf478faabef5e9c46161332c8a.jpg62283b86b0f875d7005abdbfc84c8bf4.jpg8aa938f4003797692808c1418f9725a6.jpg

• Like 2

Got my video together from pitting for Ken this past weekend.  This should give you an idea of what it's like from the pit side!

Nice to see the pit side too. You guys put in a lot of work and stress trying to help a racer get to the finish line.
  • Like 1

nice video! thanks for sharing 👍

true, the pit side view of not one we are used to seeing when race videos are put together. super interesting.

and again, well done to everyone! :ride:

• Administrators
9 hours ago, NavyNuke said:
10 hours ago, Eric Hall said:
Got my video together from pitting for Ken this past weekend.  This should give you an idea of what it's like from the pit side!

Nice to see the pit side too. You guys put in a lot of work and stress trying to help a racer get to the finish line.

Just a bit of stress when you activated your SPOT but other than that it was really cool!  You made it very easy on us too because you had put so much into prep on the front side.

I pitted next to the Redbull guys in pit 6 and their recommendation for hydration was 1 part pedialyte, 3 parts water.  I may do that for Baja Rally.