BITD Vegas to Reno '17

• Administrators

So I'm considering doing this.  Lots to think about.  I need some sponsors ($3200 goal), pit crew, training, etc...  PayPal to fudgypup at yahoo dot com if interested.

Lots of weight could still come off the bike too:  center stand, crash bars, pannier rack, panniers, rear rack, Rottweiler Endurocell aux gas tank (won't need it), ABS pump, some internal plastics.

Fitness-wise, I could lose about 20lbs and have actually been back to the gym for 6 weeks after a year long absence (busted my wrist last year).  I was a spinning instructor for about 6 years so I know how to train to get my anaerobic threshold up to the level that this kind of endurance requires.  It's really a matter of hydration and calories after that.  Minimum 1 liter per hour (more probably) which is drinking through a 3 liter bladder at least 6 times.  I'd have to use an electrolyte supplement as well.

Looking for new parts as well: tires, suspension re-fresh/adjustment, mousse (?), real hand guards (HDB?), new levers (Midwest Mountain Engineering), Emig Racing triple clamps w/damper & riser, engine stuff from CJ Designs (fuel filter fix, water pump, thermostat, second fan)

Sponsors (adding more each day)

ADV+Addicts+Logo+150dpi.png

logo.png?6979492382600259499

Fasst-Co-2011-Logo.jpg

sena-logo.jpg

www.rottweilerperformance.com.png

e4a55e_d81d4291c1dceeb49fa0cf77a99f82cc.png

• Like 4

• Administrators

Let's not kid ourselves though, this race has also been quite dangerous.  Jacque Carrizosa was badly injured training for this event and Chris Blais was during pre-running.

My goal is to ride smart and finish.  My average LAB2V pace was 36 mph and I have to do this one at 39 mph to finish by my goal of 14 hours.   There are longer straighter faster sections of this too so +3 mph seems possible.  But I'm not blasting down roads I'm not familiar with at 70+mph in dust like a maniac.

• Like 2

Smaller bike. No offense but a 450 size is more than enough and the extra nimble handling/less fighting the pounds will result in a much better finish. Iron man raced a few BITD races and wouldn't want to on a bigger bike.( I rode a WR450 and XR650R)

Bib mousse up fronts were working, however the rears tended to overheat and melt. Not sure if this has been addressed and changed though.

Tires =more aggressive, I normally ran long races on Maxxis Desert IT tires, although if you run the bigger bike needs may be different

• Like 1

I'd be down to help chase, train, wrench, ride with when I can.  Ive wanted to do this for almost 8 years now.  Done a lot of research, but either partners bailed, bike issues, or just bad timing with life.  Its actually a fairly good "moderate" event.  Its a relatively flat and high speed course.  It can be chased with 1 vehicle and out side of rawhide, you can drive a minivan to each pit.  Max distance between pits over the years has been about 70 miles max, but average about 50.  You dont have to worry traps, medical emergencies out of the country, and its affordable.  Train for the heat.  Everything becomes harder in the heat.  Almost as bad as altitude.  One of those things where the only way to train for it is to immerse yourself in it.

Ive got the XRR now and its on the list to do one of these years.  You want race training in sand, whoops, and high speed, get out to a district 38 race.  They average about 100 miles each race out in superstition.  Its all about high speed sections out there.  You dont have to necessarily maintain high speeds, but it mentally trains you to maintain a speed your body can sustain, even though a dry lake bed is screaming to you to do 100 mph.

I'd love to help where I can.

• Like 5

Eric I am too making a bid to do this race this year although on my 450x. I ha e some of the logistic info needed if you need some help there Eric. If interested I plan to begin training on the bike in the coming weeks and you are more than welcome to tag along. I will be riding under my No Limit Dual Sport name to create some exposure or buzz around the dual sport community. I can help with somethings if you want just reach out. Going to be a wild ride!

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, NavyNuke said:

Want to put a group together to do this race? I can be talked into it, just gotta hit the bicycle/training hard starting now

I was going to enter the Ironman class but you could form a team if you'd like?  My goal is to raise awareness and participation for the big bike class so the more the merrier

• Like 2