What Route planning software are you using?

I'm using garmin base camp.   Just routed about 350 miles for my next trip and it can be painful!  I literally trace every trail, turn, switchback, etc over the entire route.  The advantage is I know for sure it works with the California trail maps overlays.  

What are you guys using?

I'm using a handheld Garmin Etrex.  

• Like 1

Google Earth.  I trace the routes I want out in Google Earth and then export into Basecamp and on my Montana.  I generally only do tracks as most of the things I want to ride won't route.  I'll throw in some waypoints to keep bearings as sometimes my picked tracks don't always work out and you find your way out with the braille method.

It is tedious, but when you are exploring the backcountry I find it works best.

I have not progressed to app-based navigation on my phone.  I did check out the Rever site and it looks pretty slick.  I might have to try it out in parallel with my current method.  I think the track I make in Google Earth would drop right into Rever, so it should be slick.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tss118 said:

Google Earth.  I trace the routes I want out in Google Earth and then export into Basecamp and on my Montana.  I generally only do tracks as most of the things I want to ride won't route.  I'll throw in some waypoints to keep bearings as sometimes my picked tracks don't always work out and you find your way out with the braille method.

It is tedious, but when you are exploring the backcountry I find it works best.

I have not progressed to app-based navigation on my phone.  I did check out the Rever site and it looks pretty slick.  I might have to try it out in parallel with my current method.  I think the track I make in Google Earth would drop right into Rever, so it should be slick.  

Thats pretty much what I do in basecamp.  Ive moved on from google earth to california trail maps overlays.  picks up nearly all the unmarked trails/roads on google earth.  Also tells you if its a legal trail for bikes.  Different colors for hiking trails, horse trails, private property, etc.  made searching the back roads a lot more interesting.  I will check out Rever.  I haven't worked off phone apps either.  something about relying on my phone for directions doesn't sit well with me. 

@AdvRob I like to do my initial planning in Google Earth.  The satellite imagery helps me find cutlines and trails.  Once I have the track drawn in Google Earth I bring it into Basecamp.  Up here in Canada I am running the Backroads Mapbooks Western Canada gps chip for my Garmin.  I then compare it to the labeled trails and do my editing/cutting/splicing in Basecamp.  I find Basecamp a very powerful tool to edit my tracks and get everything organized for use.

I spent 5 years living in North Africa and if wanted to find trails, the satellite imagery was the way to go as there was no solid mapping software at the time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gaia gps has been excellent, I use my phone as a gps platform with either the internal gps or an external device. Gaia is an app for Apple or Android and has an online planning tool that has photo layers forest service maps and street maps. So far has worked perfectly. Well worth the $20. Anyone else been using this?

• 2 weeks later...

rever app

navigon cruiser app (made by garmin)

google maps - both app and web, transferring directly to phone and/or converting and sending to GPS through basecamp

basecamp - together with garmin zumo

• Administrators
3 hours ago, beemer bunny said:

rever app

navigon cruiser app (made by garmin)

google maps - both app and web, transferring directly to phone and/or converting and sending to GPS through basecamp

basecamp - together with garmin zumo

Did you get the new REVER version uploaded and tried out yet?  I used it in Utah (3.0) and had troubles.  They say 3.01 fixed it but I haven't tried yet.

@Eric Hall

i have version 3.0.1 on the phone right now. also had issues with this version (somewhat less than with version 3.0), which i reported to rever.

on a one day ride, it worked fine in the morning, but in the afternoon, despite the fact that it was obviously adding up the number of kilometers and time, the map itself was hopelessly frozen and i couldn't follow my route.

still waiting for the next update. haven't used it since the last one.

• 2 months later...

There are two programs I use--Basecamp with my 62 STC, MS Streets and Trips for routes on pavement with the 395 Zumo.. 

Neither are perfect, but very usable and effective. 

Haven't tried it yet, but it seems the 395 Zumo may work with tracks while using Basecamp. This would be ideal for me and the AT. Then, the 62 STC would be a backup with paper maps.

• Like 1