PRODUCT REVIEW: TwinMax carb balancer

I recently used a TwinMax balancer to calibrate my throttle bodies. I'm extremely pleased.

I've used a SyncPro in the past with good results (or so I thought), but my unit needs to have the fluid replaced again. It can evaporate if you forget to cap it off in storage (or the guy you lent it to doesn't cap it off). It's kind of a hassle to replace the fluid. And the readings are not as fine as I would really like. So I looked into the TwinMax, which is highly recommended by a lot of other BMW wrenchers.
I used it a couple of days ago to balance the throttle bodies on my '06 R1200GS.

The TwinMax is a lot easier to use than a manometer because it doesn't have to be vertical. You can hold it in your hand or set it down nearby. I set it on the under-seat storage while working, I could see it clearly while I had both hands on the cable adjusters.
The TwinMax also appears to be a lot more sensitive than a manometer, giving very fine readings in vacuum differential and being easy to calibrate before use. I was able to rough-in the adjustment on the TwinMax's medium sensitivity level, and then fine tune it until I had good readings at the highest sensitivity.

Today I took the bike for a test ride.
WOW.
The bike runs better than it has since I've owned it. It's never been this smooth, not even after what I thought was a really good balance on the throttle bodies using the SyncPro.
I don't think it was very far out of balance before, but when you can get it JUST RIGHT, the smoothness is incredible.

I highly recommend this for balancing the boxer.

Sierra Twinmax.jpg

• Like 1

Short version: calibrate the TwinMax (set it at max sensitivity and zero the meter without connecting it to anything. There are other procedures, but this is the quickest), connect to throttle bodies, adjust them at appx. 2500-3500rpm. That's about it, other than bike specific stuff.
On my bike (2006 R1200GS) I also calibrated the idle actuators with a GS-911. On a triple, you will do two cylinders first, then the third by using one of the first two as a guide. You can then check each one against each other one. The TwinMax is a two-input device only. The SyncPro is up to four cylinders.
At max sensitivity, the needle will be deflecting back and forth a lot, just try to get the deflection to average out in the center. Also, if the bike gets too hot while doing the adjustments, shut it down and let it cool for a while before returning. If your bike is water cooled, this might not be an issue.
So...I rode a Triumph 1050 Speed Triple last year...at Wheelie University...and crashed it. Got a bit overconfident, but holy crap I was having a good time! HAHA!

• Like 2