GS/GSA Fork Stanchion Problems

This is potentially a very dangerous issue and with the serious injuries that riders have suffered in South Africa. ...one wonders whether the UK Journalist - Kevin Ash's death after crashing during the LC Launch in 2013 has anything to do with the Stanchions failing....but of course instead of an Independent investigation being done. ....BMW did the check into the failure and refused to release the results of the findings. ....Kevin was a very accomplished rider.

What concerns us all is the fact that the "Service Bulletin" which a lot if people mistakenly sees as a recall (it's not!) Also seems to place the cause of failure on the Rider (if you read the paragraph ) THIS is unacceptable and there's now a petition to get BMW to admit there's a design fault and a Class Action is now imminent...

Check out this link and please get as many as possible LC owners to sign. 

Www.BMWFATALFLAW. com

By the way...the one chap that' had a serious accident at 45kph ....His story is there as well...however guess what...FB have blocked his account from further sharing or posting his story....now HOW and WHO has that sort of influence. ...makes you wonder!

• Like 1

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Peter Van Der Linden said:

This is potentially a very dangerous issue and with the serious injuries that riders have suffered in South Africa. ...one wonders whether the UK Journalist - Kevin Ash's death after crashing during the LC Launch in 2013 has anything to do with the Stanchions failing....but of course instead of an Independent investigation being done. ....BMW did the check into the failure and refused to release the results of the findings. ....Kevin was a very accomplished rider.

What concerns us all is the fact that the "Service Bulletin" which a lot if people mistakenly sees as a recall (it's not!) Also seems to place the cause of failure on the Rider (if you read the paragraph ) THIS is unacceptable and there's now a petition to get BMW to admit there's a design fault and a Class Action is now imminent...

Check out this link and please get as many as possible LC owners to sign. 

Www.BMWFATALFLAW. com

By the way...the one chap that' had a serious accident at 45kph ....His story is there as well...however guess what...FB have blocked his account from further sharing or posting his story....now HOW and WHO has that sort of influence. ...makes you wonder!

Could not agree with you more, @Peter Van Der Linden.  Thank you for posting up.  I'll have to make it a point to share that link far and wide.

• Administrators

I saw this image and it made me laugh, not at the injured woman of course; only that it seems to represent a lot of the apologists out there bending over backwards to let BMW off the hook over this.

Sure, there are questions of how long did BMW know this was a problem but I'm glad they seem to be fixing it finally. They deserve some credit.

But consider the long list of issues this model line has faced. I can't even seem to find a definitive listing but here's what I've seen:

Frame cracks
Wheel flange cracks
Fuel connector cracks
Throttle signal
Transmission
Clutch slave
Forks

Missing anything?

After that many issues it would seem like most would be wise to it but apparently not.
IMG_0877.JPG

have a friend here in switzerland who recently took his 2015 GSA LC to the local BMW dealership to book an apointment for a service and because of a leaking front shock.

while there, they quickly checked the bike and noticed that it also has the issue with the fork stanchions.

when he asked if he could leave with the bike or not (service appointment was booked for a later date), BMW told him that he could... if he signed a paper that would clear them of any responsibility, should something happen.

needless to say, he told them to sod off and left the GSA sitting there.

....when he asked if he could leave with the bike or not (service appointment was booked for a later date), BMW told him that he could... if he signed a paper that would clear them of any responsibility, should something happen.
needless to say, he told them to sod off and left the GSA sitting there.

Our shop would have done the same thing, only because it's a sue happy world.

• Administrators

Clown show alert:  The Facebook page, MW GS 1200 Stanchion Separation Issue, is reporting:

Interesting note from my BMW Dealer. They called me today and said that they were going to wait on ordering the parts as BMW told them today that they were pulling back the Service Bulletin and that they (The Dealer) was not suppose to fix any bikes until a new Bulletin was released.
He could not give the full details but said it had something to do with BMW finding another issue and that the parts and tools being sent out were going to be changed or were wrong.

Seems like a proper recall
http://www.motofire.com/2017/07//breaking-bmw-to-recall-bmw-r-1200-gs-motorcycles-over-major-fork-issue/

BREAKING: BMW to recall BMW R 1200 GS motorcycles over major fork issue.

It is now believed that German manufacturer BMW Motorrad WILL RECALL every BMW R 1200 GS and GS Adventure after reports of major fork damage have become known worldwide.Anecdotal reports online and across social media had been running rampant of late, with many riders appearing to confirm the suspicions of a significant design flaw with regards to a failure of the of the fixed fork tube, showing itself through a gap between the pipe and the pressed in top seal plugs.

Following a ‘Service Campaign‘ – itself initiated after campaign work fromBMWFatalFlaw.com and Belgian motorcycle website MaxxMoto.be – it is now believed that this potential defect has today been considered serious enough by BMW for a full recall campaign to be set in motion.

Motofire understands that the announcement of a full recall for BMW R GS 1200 and R GS 1200 Adventure will take place within days and although it may appear to be semantics at play, the difference between a named ‘service campaign’ compared to a full recall is substantial.

A named recall – something which would be authorised through the various transport agencies withing the recognised countries concerned, elevates the service procedure from one that is undertaken at an owner’s choice to a process that essentially becomes mandatory.  And, whilst a ‘service campaign’ allows riders to continue using their motorcycles and then  only take their bikes into dealers if they so wish, a recall would almost certainly recommend that owners cease from riding their machines until the issue has been fixed by a recognised engineer.

With BMW being suspiciously quiet as the furore over the fork damage issue grew during recent weeks, it’s pleasing to hear rumblings of the company starting to take the steps required to fix the issue.
We’ll update this story once the final details of the recall have been released.BMW forced to check every R1200 GS bike in the world after reports of critical ‘fork damage’.
Edited by michnus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now they say this? 

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2017/july/bmw-r1200gs-recall-suspension/

BMW have issued a major recall for all R1200GS and R1200GS Adventure models manufactured between November 2013 and June 2017. BMW say that the fork stanchion can suffer damage if subjected to “momentary high stress”, which can result in the fork tube coming loose. In worst case scenarios this can result in the fork becoming completely separated from the yoke, resulting in an immediate front-end failure.

• Like 1

My guess would be due to the nature of most Adventure type riders being overly obsessed with being ATGATT, that if this were to happen to say Harley Davidson, the outcome would be Ambulance rides and funeral planning* instead of head scratching on the side of the road trying to figure out "how can I get this back together and finish the rest of my trip?". Maybe me any how :)

*Except states with mandatory helmet laws

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...