The Drone Thread

• Administrators

Drones are becoming a lot more popular so I thought it might be nice to have a place to talk about them.

@OrangeBeast had me order him a DJI Mavic drone and I got to play with that a few times before he showed up.  Unfortunately, he lost it in the jungle in Mexico or Guatemala recently :(

Here's a story out about how a court struck down the FAA requirement that people register their drones with the government.  I realize drones are becoming much more popular and people are doing stupid stuff with them but I typically prefer less regulation than more.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I fly a DJI Mavic Pro for work and it is awesome! I am going to take it to the beach and shoot some footage of the kids playing at the lake this summer. It is small enough to put in a back pack with an extra battery. It will be a go to for many in the off-road world. They have a new cheaper and smaller one called the Spark that looks cool as well. For many of us that already have a Go Pro, the KARMA is a cool machine and it includes a gimbal accessory so that you can hand hold for steady footage. Just check your local regulations before you take it out and get some videos on the site!

• Like 1

Transport Canada and the FAA's rules are very similar. With the growing popularity of drones the regulations are changing constantly. My understanding is in the US you really have to check right down to your local county for bylaws of drone use. As long as you are responsible, respect the rules and others it shouldn't be an issue. Check your local Craigslist, there are some good deals out there. Get a drone! It is fun, then you can get some great shots and videos!

RPM

• 2 weeks later...

|my first post on the forum so hello:)|

Regarding drones and bikes - last month I did my first motorcycle trip together with the DJI Mavic Pro and IMO it is awesome for biker's due to small size and video quality. Check my short film from European Alps below

sXhDGpAWfxY

• Like 2