Motorcycle Brokers for importing A motorcycle bike from Canada to US.

• 1 month later...
Did you find any? 

Saw on old post from a fella that suggested applying baby powder to the boxer to find a source of the leak and yes I did! Two actually after I took a long ride and had it parked for about 10 minutes. One coming from the filler cap (slight sweat, could be just the o ring and also one at the head gasket. Looks like I'll be doing some more wrenching. Need to research some old R1100GS threads!
  • Like 1

i confirm, as far as the o-rings are concerned.

to stop the leak (at least this worked on my 1150 GSA), i replaced the oil filler plug and its o-ring (part 7 + 8 in the diagram). but also (this one is often forgotten) the filler pipe, which has its own o-ring (part 5 and 6).

make sure that the cylinder head is cleaned thoroughly before inserting the new filler pipe and o-ring.

and after refilling the oil, make sure that everything is clean and free of oil where the oil filler plug comes. if you have any traces of oil there or on the plug and/or o-ring, it will seep out of the cylinder.

i tried oil filler plugs from other brands - they all leaked, so i went back to the BMW OEM parts.

oil filler plug.png

oil - 1.jpg

oil - 2.jpg

oil - 3.jpg

oil - 4.JPG

Edited by beemer bunny

B0000222.png?v=12082016

@beemer_bunny Thanks for the tips on the oil filler cap.  After the short ride home I did notice the oiler filler cap was spraying oil on my shin ever so slightly.  There are a couple of brand out there like Wunderlich and Touratech that do boast thay their oil filler cap will solve the leak, but i'm not sure yet which one to buy.   Still the OEM in there.  

As for the the oring I believe I have narrowed the location.  it appears to be right on the side of the engine.  May be number 10 in the picture.  It is about a $50.00 cylinder head gasket.  It may also be coming form the sensor below just above the sight glass.   Still need to do some more investigation.  I have ruled out the oil cooler and the o ring head gasket  I appreciate you help!  looks like I may be pulling out the whole cyclinder head to get in there?59533abbd91fd_BabyPowdertryingtofindoilleak.jpg.002f7100f9d0b1f319d0c68a03dc2b53.jpg

• Like 1

@motochefarwi

never had any issues ( so far) on the right side. i suppose that sometimes it is probably worth taking the whole lot apart, cleaning it up and checking everything. and replacing the o-rings, etc., while it's in pieces. just did a major overhaul on my 1150 GSA (2002), bought a few months ago. no big or bad surprises, but a few things that needed to be dealt with.

we also changed all the fuel lines and connectors. she probably would have started leaking fuel in the coming months.

to come back to the leak at the plug level...

from what i have read - and this was so annoying, i really researched it a lot... the only oil filler plug system that seems to be really leak proof is this one:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8500064.html

so far, by replacing the plug, the pipe and both o-rings, the OEM parts seems to be doing there job on mine. i now carry some spare o-rings, just in case.

should it start again, i'll probably relent and get this wunderlich kit.

hope this helps :)

Edited by beemer bunny

too funny!  I was just watching this vid the other day!  That is a great idea to keep a few bits on the bike with you.  Probably a couple of litres of extra oil is not a bad idea other! :)

I'm slowly building this bike with farkles to get to where I feel it will be ready to ride to its potential.  I'm staring for the ground up.  Litterally at the pegs (Black Dog Cycle Works are on the way), Baseplate (found a used one on Ebay, not too many folks make aftermarket ones)  and crash bars on the way too (Heed Brand).

I supposed I should insert this thread in a different section now?

Edited by motochefarwi
  • Like 1