Alaskan shakedown ride on my new Africa Twin

Over the last week I was finally able to get out with my kit, old and new items, to do a shakedown ride on my Africa Twin.  I'm in Alaska so I figured I'd just check off a couple of the locations that I usually do annual camping trips to.  I rode from Palmer to Homer, stayed the night and continued to McCarthy.  As I was leaving McCarthy, a brother told me he was going to fly to a nearby airstrip and wanted to take his kids camping.  I decided to try to get my AT back to the campsite knowing he was going to be using a UTV in 4WD to get there.  I made it.  It wasn't easy riding though.  If it was, I'd have been bored anyway.  Several steep climbs that are covered with fist sized round rocks that offer little to no traction and love to kick your tires in different directions.  Most of the trail was ATV troughs that you can't ride the crown between and are forced to be beaten by the brush while riding down in the rut on one side or the other.  Several muddles that were completely rutted forcing you to ride down in a rut, the bottom of the holes are mud and the rear tire just churns it's way through while you walk and push with your feet as well.  

Overall, it was a freaking blast.  I wasn't able to continue my trip up on to the Denali Highway because the days that I was going to go, it snowed.  Not just a small flurry, a few inches.  hahah.  Welcome to Alaska.  

Picture captions:

1- Bike prep shop rate with your buddy equals whiskey.

2- Fresh tires that will hopefully last for the shakedown ride as well as my ride from Alaska to Key West, Florida in a couple weeks.

3- Homer, Alaska offers some truly incredible views.  

4- Beauty and the Beast.  The AT looking pretty and the lady growling at a bottle of wine trying to open it.  She hates mototravel and wants to overland in a kitted out 4Runner.  I fully support having a support vehicle for my mototravels.  hahaha

5- Even in the COLD ocean winds here, Homer shoreline campsites are incredibly peaceful.  

6- Staying properly hydrated is important.  First watering hole while riding north from Homer. St. Elias Brewing, decent beer but not my favorite.  It'll do.

7- Off road a bit to warm me up by getting the blood flowing.  It snowed on me as I rode through the pass.  

8- Second watering hole while continuing northbound.  Girdwood Brewing, GREAT BEER! If you come to Alaska and find yourself in the area, you must stop in.  

9- Third watering hole.  I'm thirsty.  Stop judging me.  Midnight Sun Brewery, great beer, great food, awesome place.  Don't miss it.

10- Continuing north via the Glenn Highway to work my way to McCarthy/Kennicott.  Orange Mountain.  Highly creative name.

11- Yes, that's another bottle of wine she has.  That's how she tolerates me.  

12- I made a fire with grass and twigs without the use of a road flare and gasoline.  I cooked meat on a stick over the fire.  I drank beer and hung out with my motorcycle.  This was all a manliness checklist according to the lady.  haha!

13- The departure morning.  I was all packed up and ready to leave but just felt like hanging out a bit longer.  The grey and hazy skies weren't much to look at but just chilling on a river bank sure can clear your mind though.

14- "I wonder where this trail goes." It was just a short distance and lead to the old railway that used to run all the way to the Kennicott copper mine.  At one point, the largest copper mine in the world.  

15- When we got to our campsite, my nephew asks if he can pull his tooth out because it's loose and annoying him.  Then he did.  He went full savage on his mouth and ripped it out.  Lil' stud.  

16- I tried to capture a little moment of the boys and their dad enjoying the fire, overlooking the valley and the mountains just poking through the one opening in the clouds.

17 & 18- The kids love fishing but it's a serious test of patience with the constant "Dad, it's snagged again." "Dad, somethings wrong." "Dad, it's tangled again." Luckily, they kept asking their dad to help and I was free to continue playing with the camera. haha

19- 'Seeing your friend off at the airport' is a little different in rural Alaska.  He and I are best friends but have very different preferences in preferred mode of travel.  However, he's recently been saying that he wants to try out bikes and see what it's all about.  Muahaha.. I'm a good influence on others.  ;-)

20- Alaska has mountains.  This is just a small one too.

21- I stole fruit packets from the ladies' cooler she had in her SUV before she left.  

22- I love exploring the abandoned sections of old highways.  This section was part of the old Glenn Highway and I actually remember driving on it as a kid when the family would make a trip to Anchorage.

23 & 24- Matanuska Glacier shots.  

IMG_5261.jpg

IMG_5263.jpg

IMG_5298.jpg

IMG_5299.jpg

IMG_5301.jpg

IMG_5271.JPG

IMG_5303.jpg

IMG_5272.JPG

IMG_5273.JPG

IMG_5306.jpg

IMG_5276.JPG

IMG_5281.jpg

IMG_5282.jpg

IMG_5286.jpg

IMG_5292.jpg

IMG_5307.jpg

IMG_5296.mov

IMG_5332.jpg

IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5327.JPG

IMG_5334.jpg

IMG_5330.MOV

IMG_5331.JPG

IMG_5337.jpg

IMG_5338.jpg

IMG_5339.jpg

Edited by Polar Nomad
  • Like 4

Just now, Eric Hall said:

Heidenau K60 rear?  Really?

I know, I know.  I threw a tire on that will last for this week of riding and then will last for me to mostly slab from here all the way to Florida in a couple weeks.  Down there the tires will be changed to knobbier for the TAT.

• Like 1

I have a K60 on the rear and a TKC80 on the front.  I immediately hated the K60 on my 1200GSA however, surprisingly, this combo on the AT really isn't that bad of a combination for a mix of riding.  Pleasantly surprised.  I should be able to do my slab run but also still get a dirt fix in each day.  Or at least enough to tide me over en route.  

• Like 1

Should change the name on your bike to say Alaskan Twin just to see how many would notice, only seems fitting. 

Such a beautiful , awe inspiring environment you get to ride in!

Must be a concern riding solo in the backcountry there?

We have black flies, chiggers , mosquitoes mainly here in the Adirondack region , maybe an occasional nuisance black bear or raccoon. 

Glad to see you've fitted soft luggage, nice job with your ride!

Safe adventures✌️

• Like 1

@PeteMoto A friend has a signs and graphics shop and has been trying to come up with a new decal to fit that says Alaska Twin but it's not as easy as it seems.  That whole red/blue stripe and name area is all one big decal.  

It definitely never really gets old up here in Alaska.  I love it.  Even on hazy days, it's still beautiful terrain.

I'm born and raised in rural Alaska and spent a ton of time on my own outdoors so it's just the opposite of a concern for me.  Being out solo is my happy place.  

• Like 2

Yeah, I am.  I've never met her but have a few friends that have and a bunch of acquaintances that know her.  None of them have anything good to say about her.  haha  Like I said though, I've never met her so I don't have any opinion. 

• Like 1