2014 Flying Monkey Adventure Rally - Zion, UT

Each summer now for about 4 or 5 years (?), Jesse Kimball has organized this event he calls the "Flying Monkey Adventure Rally."  I never knew where that name came from until this last time.  Apparently, the first one was held near this old military testing facility that had rocket sleds where they'd put a monkey in a flight seat and blast it off to see if he survived the g-forces.  I guess the staff of the facility named the area the "flying monkey" test range or something and it just stuck.

The location of the event has since been moved to the wonderful Ponderosa Ranch Resort just east of Zion National Park.  Really nice place where you can camp for something like $10/night.  Hot showers, jacuzzi, laundry, wi-fi, restaurant, etc...

My first FMAR I was still learning how to ride the big bike and I was amazed at how big bike friendly all the trails were.  It's like a GS rider paradise.

Here's a pretty basic video of my first FMAR

someone else took these pics of a bighorn sheep while riding through Zion

Pink Coral Sand Dunes park

Jesse's dad's sweet AEV Jeep

Don't get me wrong, I do support our NPS employees but Zion has some of the worst.  The most direct way to Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort is through Zion National Park and they essentially make it a toll road since we were just riding through and not even stopping.  Coming back through the next day, they zapped me for my pillion since I had come through solo the day before!  Then Zach turned left down this road so I followed him.  A tour bus driver motioned at me to turn around and then Zach stopped and said "I think we're not supposed to be here; we need to turn around."  So you know what we did?  No, we didn't continue riding down the road, ripping up dirt trails, littering and starting wild fires.  We TURNED AROUND.  On the way out this tour bus driver scolds us by getting on his PA system for his passengers saying "let's show these motorcyclists what we think of them riding in a restricted area" and then gives me the "thumbs down" sign.  It's funny because my middle finger on my left hand just LEAPT up from my grip at that same time!  So were now exiting the restricted area and pass the lodge where I see this ranger SUV pull a u turn and turn on their lights.  At that point I was PISSED OFF!  Who T.F. are these nazis?  They're probably going to tase me because we took a wrong turn!  Luckily the SUV was not coming after us so we got away without any trouble.

Easily the highlight of the event, an overlook at Toroweap on the north rim of the Grand Canyon

Great "illegal" views of Zion on the way back

Pretty easy trails I rode two up with the ex gf.  I scored because she was all of maybe 5'1" and didn't weigh much ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Nate J.
      Nothing for 50 miles in any direction - Nothing.
    • By Eric Hall
      I had done this even previously and just called it "WMRS" after the White Mountain Research Station, but that old name is really for an old AOLrider event and there just seemed to be too many better names out there.  Besides, I wanted to do a specific event for the GS Giants to try and boost some awareness out here in the West for the group.
      What are the GS Giants?  Well, the short answer is they're simply a great bunch of riders (not even just GS riders either) that originally came out of a BMW MOA rally a few years ago of who preferred dirt to pavement.  They started a Facebook page and it kind of just took off from there.  They have a number of regional events, but their most popular one by far is "March Moto Madness" and that one is held in Tellico Plains, TN every year in late March.  Last year it went global with multiple countries like UK, Spain, Japan, Singapore, Canada, etc... participating.  There's no brand requirement; it's just that the BMW crowd tends to put on really good events maybe more so than the KTM crowd.
      For most, I think what made the event so nice was we chose to get dinner for two nights catered for us by a great caterer from Bishop, Classy Cowgirl.  They have actually done events in the past for BMW Motorrad AG there, believe it or not.  For me, though, it was that I got to ride up two weeks earlier to scout out some new trails.  We also discovered some really cool hot springs nearby that were great to soak in after a day's riding.
      Here's an idea of how that scouting trip looked two weeks earlier...

• By Eric Hall
      I had met Tolga Basol of "Ride Must Go On" a few months back when I had him and his professional photographer friend Caglar Erkenci stayed with me for a few days while they prepped their loaner bikes for the US leg of their round-the-world adventure.  Tolga is a film maker and has done some truly amazing stuff.  Check it out:

Tolga is sponsored by KTM Turkey, along with many other familiar vendors:  Konflict Suspension, Giant Loop, Rottweiler Performance, etc...  He started in Istanbul in June and rode his 1190 R to Magadan (the first to ride that bike there).
      Thierry and I had just ridden in Pahrump, NV the week before and he went on to Death Valley and I went back home to work for a few days, coming back to DV on Thur of that week.  Tolga and Caglar are making their way back down south after picking up Tolga's 1190 R in Vancouver and stopped at Death Valley to ride with us.  We camped at Panamint Springs Resort.
      Tolga and Caglar are absolutely brilliant with a camera for photos and video, so don't let this lame amateur's attempt at video distract you from their work
      They took some amazing photos of us all that you can see in the gallery as well as posted here below.

There was a storm supposed to move through on Friday, so I brought my lower-profile tent instead of the Redverz "Garage-mahal."  As it turned out though, the guys moved to the tent-cabins based on a suggestion from the camp staff that the storm was going to be quite severe.  It did rain pretty steadily for a long time but the storm wasn't that bad.  Still, it was nice to have a bigger tent to cook in and all that.  Talk about glamping!
    • By Eric Hall
      James Valentine came out the week before LAB2V and since he's from Kansas, I thought he might want to get a taste for what LAB2V is going to be like.  Honestly, I thought he might struggle given that I've never seen him ride before and to my knowledge he's never ridden in the desert.
      Boy was I wrong!  This guy can RIDE!
      He had a camera on his helmet and since we were riding side by side, this song "Dueling Banjos" came to mind...