Grand Canyon Loop

Stay tuned guys. I'm planning a North/South Rim loop focusing on the North Rim. I'm hoping to be leaving in late September. Right now it's in the planning stage. I'm looking at about 1200 miles and 6 days at this point. Mostly paved and some of the cool fire roads on the North side.

I just ordered up some Butler Maps and looking at lodging. This will be motel camping off my Beta.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Hall said:

That sounds amazing.  On the Beta?

I just rode through there a week ago.  Lots of gates but worth it.  Tracks here

@GeoMoto knows that area very well and can weigh in if he wants?

Thank you Eric! I'm really looking forward to this. I'll include my bike prep in the planning. Oh, and yes 2012 Beta 520RS is the bike.

Edited by Ballisticexchris
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, 556baller said:

Have you given any thought to what tires your going to run? 

Yes, I have a brand new rear Kenda Big Block I'll be trying to use up before the ride. I decided to go fancy and will mount up a new set TK80's or Big Blocks for the actual ride. The Kenda BBs have really been working good. I've been reading the TK80's last a little longer though. 

I don't want to chance experimenting with Hendus or other stuff. 

• Like 1

There really are a bunch of choices for tires. I might just mount this new Kenda and run it from now to the end of the trip. The front one seems to really last long!

I'll figure out what tire as I get closer. The main thing is a safe tire.   It just has to last the trip. I tried the street biased ones and it got ugly in the sand washes!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well guys my bike is ready but medical issues have put this ride off for another year. I'll reopen this thread when I'm prepped for next year. What a shame! I'm pretty pissed off and bummed that it did not work out. The Beta was really looking good. Bought a new clutch basket, plates, new tires, tools all put together, clothing, backpack, upgraded my SPOT 2 the a Gen 3, etc.

All was not a loss though. The experience of prepping, route planning, lodging, and knowing what to do will carry over to next season when I'm feeling better. Other good news is being able to use this setup on some shorter 2 day rides throughout the next season.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rider_marc said:

That's a bummer @Ballisticexchris. Sure hope things work out for next year. Six days after leaving @556baller's place, I was in the GC area. My plan was to camp/ride the North Rim area, but found out it is still closed for the winter. I'll have to make it happen next year too.

Thanks Marc! It's for sure on my do list next year.

• Like 1