XLADV Races BAJA RALLY

• Administrators

So here's my day... started out with my tire off the bead! I think the mousse was cooked from the day before and the cool ocean air cause the tire to contract overnight. The main issue though that I misapplied the mousse to a rim that is too wide (3.5"). Then my second mouse was only a 120 and not the 140 I started with (budget).

So I managed to quickly inflate with CO2 and the bead seated! So I got to start but wondered how far I'd get. At 85 k the bead came off. Didn't have my 32mm axle wrench for some reason. It was there the other day. It either fell out (?) or left it at the bivouac.

So basically I tapped out. I got Ken to meet me with a wrench and I put a tube in but without a rimlock and having a lubed tire it would pop the first twist of the throttle.

So back at the hotel poolside sipping a margarita.

Epic video to follow...

• Like 4

Damn, good lessons learned.  

So when you were running the 120 mousse in the tire, you said you used c02 to seat the bead again?  Did you have a cartridge that you just blew in the valve stem hole of the wheel and that set the bead?  Wrapping my mind around inflating a tire with mousse in it.  

The zip tie thing is no fix. It just attaches the tire to the wheel to limp home. Limp being the key word. Otherwise, especially with no rim lock, you have the potential for the tire to come off completely and possibly cause even more issues.  Getting caught up in the chain side, or leaving you riding on a straight rim.  Youre better off having a flat, slowly destroying itself tire on the wheel then no tire at all.  

This is all hind sight, but have you run this mousse tire combo before?  I remember early on, 5-10 years ago some mousse were very particular to which tires they worked with.  I remember Michelin being very picky.  I'm not sure if those days have passed or there are still bad combos that just don't work.  Sizing with tires is all over the freakin place, and it not just moto tires.  I bet the mousse sizes are similar in huge variations depending on brands.    

• Like 1

• Administrators

The Motoz tires I used worked extremely well. I would not use anything else. Desert H/T rear and Enduro ST up front.
IMG_1835.JPG

Alex from Konflict set up my suspension and it was perfect. The rear was a bit hoppy but one click down and it settled. Being planted is key for safety. It tracked well over rough terrain.

Fly Racing Carbon helmet was very nice too with their goggles. Very lightweight and good air flow. Their hydro pack worked well too. No fatigue on the shoulders at all.

Leatt neck brace worked well. I have the older single rear blade one that might have integrated better with the armor in the back but I need spacers for it. The one I used has the two rear blades and putting on the hydro pack would push it up sometimes. It does slide in the armor up front though.

Very pleased with the new Sena Prism Tube. It turned on and off easily and I'm anxious to see the results because I had it on for some great parts. Bummed I didn't in the dunes though.

Klim Dakar jacket and pants (new generation) were fantastic. I really liked how the jacket fit over the armor and that the sleeves are removable. Very lightweight too. It still protective. Their gloves worked very well too. No blisters at all unlike most other riders.

IMG_1172.JPG

The Moose Racing fender bag is a fail. Had it on sturdy but it ripped apart from the bouncing.

Alpinestars Tech 10 boots were perfect as expected. My old Fox Titan knee/shin guards held up too.

Moto-Skiveez socks are perfect too. No odor and the compression factor eliminates itch.

Wolfman Luggage Blackhawk tank bag was nice to have. Held up well. Many said ditch it but it was very useful.

Flex bars worked very well and I can't say how great it was to have less fatigue there as a result. Five days is a long time. Their Impact pegs performed similarly. Less fatigue and ability to keep boots on them are critical.

Foam grips helped as well.

The bike handled it all extremely well. Truly "Ready to Race."

• Like 4

Nice recap of all the gear! Need to get some moto skiveez socks. I like the acerbis full socks. Really helps from preventing chauffing from my knee guards pulls up nice and high. Eric did you have a steering stabilizer? Sounds like you had the right folks backing you up! Piece of mind out in the toughest of times in the desert . How about hydration? How many liters of water did you carry each stage? And did you fuel up on electrolytes after? Or just Margs

• Like 2

• Administrators

I had a 100 oz (3 liter) hydro pack and got some Pedialyte powder to mix in it and it made a HUGE difference.  On stages with gas stops we could refill our water and then I'd add more powder to like a 3:1 water/pedialyte ratio.  

As for the stabilizer no, but I wish I'd had one (fatigue, safety).  If you recall, I got that new triple clamp/damper kit from Emig Racing then it somehow disappeared.  I think my kids might have taken it out with the recycle stuff. :(

Alcohol is not a good idea at all but I did have a beer after a few of the stages but just the weak Mexican stuff in a 12 oz can.  Had plenty last night ;)

• Like 4

What's the story with the street neck brace?  Is there a reason you went with this one over the offroad GPX series?  The STX brace have the wider 2 blades in the back is to accommodate "the humps" or street leathers.  

How is the Dakar jacket without armor?  Does it feel too big with nothing under?

• Like 1

• Administrators

The brace is marketed as more ADV.  I have the single blade brace too (GPX) and the rear integrates better with their 5.5 armor but I needed spacers for it and ran out of time.  It ended up working pretty well though except for when my hydro pak would push it up.

The Dakar jacket was great.  I wore the Leatt 5.5 armor underneath for protection.  The jacket actually comes without armor; you have to pay extra for that.  So with the armor underneath it felt good.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, WildTurkey said:

Did you wear the jacket sleeveless in some or all stages?  I'm seeing the armor on your sleeves but no jacket sleeves.

I wore the sleeves for a cold liaison from Las Canadas to Erendira then unzipped them for the rest of the rally.  Great jacket!