R100GS / HPN #819

Hi all!

I really need your help, but first I want to introduce you to my lifetime dream, it finally came true. After saving years and years I found a used but almost new R100GS modified by HPN (Frame Number #819). I own the bike a few days now, drove already 1.000km / 600mi and I just can't stop smiling. :)

Some specifics:

• R100GS build in 1990 in Spandau, Berlin (just like all BMW Motorcycles)
  • in 2012 the bike was rebuild by HPN in Seibersdorf, Bavaria
  • the engine is from a R100R, its not spectacular (for me it still is), the engine is not tuned, its completely original. I will think about it, but I dont need more than 60hp offroad, and I want a engine as much durable as possible, thats my main goal here
  • same goes for the front double discs, they are from the same R100R
  • the R100R parts now ran 13.000km / 8.000mi, the R100GS parts got about 28.000km on the clock
  • strengthen frame by HPN and modified to hold a centered rear shock
  • front fork is a White Power USD 48mm with 250mm travel
  • HPN Triple clamp to hold the fork
  • rear shock Öhlins with 220mm travel (seat height 880mm, 1580mm from wheel to wheel)
  • the cardan shaft is one of a R1150GS (no rear disc, i still have drums there)
  • 43 litres HPN Poly, painted
  • HPN mask and HPN cockpit
  • long 5th gear (5% longer), normal first gear (its under consideration to shorten it 5%)
  • muffler and the stainless steel rear end from Gletter (i just like the optics better than the HPN parts)

The complete invoice is four pages long, I'm only listing the important things. The HPN weights about 185-195kg (420 pounds), so lost already some of her weight.

On my To-Do list:

• skidplate (maybe 8mm from SWT Sports i need to talk to the guy)
  • hand guard protection (maybe I can find the original HPN ones which where produced by Acerbis to my knowledge)
  • maybe other footpegs to have a better standing, paired with some handlebar raisers
  • a roadbook and a training to learn how to handle it out in the world
  • crash bars if they do more good than harm the bike

So, why do I need ur help? Does not every bike has a nickname? Any ideas for mine? I will create a Top10 list from all suggestions and at the end I'll let you decide what name he or she will get. :)

All the best,

Rob

G0010283.jpg

G0020325.jpg

G0050399.jpg

GOPR0323.jpg

G0050395.jpg

G0060424.jpg

Edited by Rob Hoffmann
  • Like 3

hi rob. just noticed the distinctive design of the front mudguard. very similar to the marlboro rooftop design of the packs ^^ and the color scheme.

mlb.jpg

Edited by beemer bunny

Hi @beemer bunny,

it is indeed the same color scheme, the fuel tank from the r100r was on the bike with that correct paint and sticker at first but the owner switched to the HPN "barrel" but this was done by the same tuner who build the rearend (www.gletter.de), and they couldn't remeber the RAL code (3026 i think). It is under consideration to repaint the tank again so everything fits, we'll see.. :)

Gaston is a great idea! :)

Edited by Rob Hoffmann
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I think there's more than one dimension to why this is such a great looking bike.  One is of course that it's a classic.

But another is that it represents what BMW used to stand for, which was real off road capabilities.  Not the 600 lb street bikes with knobbies they've become.  This bike is light, has 21/18" wheels and REAL front forks; not a telelever.  This is what we want BMW to make NOW.  The closest thing to that was the HP2 which was fraught with its own set of problems (weak frame, small tank, clown like rear shock and $20+k price tag).

I happen to think there's a market for a ~900cc boxer platform where they could make a series of these bikes for both street and off road.

But it will never happen.  Because... scarf boy.

• Like 3

Hi @Eric Hall, thanks for your post, ur totally right. But I have to admit I only have an 17" wheel, it's under consideration to switch to the 300mm front and higher back with the R1100GS cardan shaft instead of the R1150GS one, but for now I need to go out there and test everything and see where my comfort zone ends, to know what I can optimize :) 

Edited by Rob Hoffmann
  • Like 2

With just onder 200kg's I woudn't call it a hippo. I recognized the Marlboro theme as well, so like the suggestion of Gaston. Otherwise (and this may be a bit of a strecht): Redford. Since your name is Rob, and Rob(ert) Redford is a redhead?

Ok, I'll mind my own business now (and start thinking of a nickname for my own bike)...

And again, beautiful bike!

• Like 2

I'm thinking more and more about it, and I don't want the Gaston replica style, its the wrong build of the bike to do this, if I'm going for a replica then with the right bike.

Considering complete white (the cheapest solution). The neon orange dont allow me to wear my yellow MSR helmet, it just looks rediculous, also i want to put one or two stickers on the bike, but with that neon color it just looks weird. :) I like the simplicity of white, you can see this on @Eric Halls Bike with the sticker tuning it still looks amazing. :)

@beemer bunny i hope its ok to delete Gaston from the list :D

We'll see how long it will take me to act, probably I'm to lazy in the next weeks. ^^

• Like 1