The XLADV Store

• Administrators

XLADV is the big bike version of ThumperTalk and they have a store.  I figure why shouldn't we?

I'll be putting together some ideas and wanted to get your feedback for the store.

We obviously have our XLADV stickers (2/$5) and Beyond Starbucks stickers ($5) and soon (Jul 17) we'll have the Team XLADV race t-shirts to sell but I have bigger plans.

I'm talking with a friend with years of experience in the motorcycle apparel market and knows all the factories and the design process, etc...  He's made a lot of stuff you would know.  The jacket would be probably the most functional jacket out there but sort of an "Un-Jacket" in that it's not going to have shiny bright logos all over it.  I think riders have grown tired of being rolling billboards for apparel makers and want something not just un-branded, but something they themselves can even customize with their own club (PNW Riders, GS Giants, SoCal DualSport, etc...) patches.  Not a price point of $400+ but perhaps $250.

Also talking with a make of soft panniers for something rugged, versatile and functional.

And of course I'm sure we can drop-ship any number of tire makes we have a good history with already (Motoz, Shinko) that will give us good coverage for the 50/50, 60/40 and 70/30 segments.

Also considering carrying a line of tents and sleeping bags.

Thoughts?...

• Like 7

XLADV is the big bike version of ThumperTalk and they have a store.  I figure why shouldn't we?
I'll be putting together some ideas and wanted to get your feedback for the store.
We obviously have our XLADV stickers (2/$5) and Beyond Starbucks stickers ($5) and soon (Jul 17) we'll have the Team XLADV race t-shirts to sell but I have bigger plans.
I'm talking with a friend with years of experience in the motorcycle apparel market and knows all the factories and the design process, etc...  He's made a lot of stuff you would know.  The jacket would be probably the most functional jacket out there but sort of an "Un-Jacket" in that it's not going to have shiny bright logos all over it.  I think riders have grown tired of being rolling billboards for apparel makers and want something not just un-branded, but something they themselves can even customize with their own club (PNW Riders, GS Giants, SoCal DualSport, etc...) patches.  Not a price point of $400+ but perhaps $250.
Also talking with a make of soft panniers for something rugged, versatile and functional.
And of course I'm sure we can drop-ship any number of tire makes we have a good history with already (Motoz, Shinko) that will give us good coverage for the 50/50, 60/40 and 70/30 segments.

Thoughts?...

Don't do it. It's another layer of task management that is probably more of a headache, unless you're going to hire a team to manage it.

like the idea of the soft panniers.

it would totally make sense to work with an existing brand and maybe have an XLADV "limited edition" :)

same for example as Wolfman have with their sand colored luggage set for the BDR Series Limited Edition. although i probably would have wanted to see the BDR logo somewhere on the luggage.

https://wolfmanluggage.com/products/bdr-series-limited-edition-sand-colored-luggage-set

it would benefit both XLADV and the luggage brand and probably be less of a headache to put in place and manage (guarantee and possible returns).

as for the store in itself, i'd probably start it small with XLADV merchandise, see how that picks up (and the pros and cons of managing it, as far as dealing with the orders and shipping goes) and take it from there.

stickers always sell, and nice quality tshirts tend to do pretty good too.

a really nice XLADV jersey could also be an idea. bit more pricey than a t-shirt, but still an item that sells well (cf. WLF Enduro).

Thoughts?...

Sign me up for a "test pilot" on a jacket or pants! I think it is a Great idea to have cool apparel, hats, wicking t-shirts, or soft luggage! You know XLADVers have put the gear through the paces and field tested! @beemmer_bunny I agree on the Ltd. edition stuff product, one of a kind, get it while it's hot.
Camping gear will never grow tired. Smaller, lighter, user friendly, water proof, wind proof etc,tested and proven. Maybe a cool camping chair?
Dig the direction!
  • Like 1

Don't do it. It's another layer of task management that is probably more of a headache, unless you're going to hire a team to manage it.

Reading my response again, it comes off as a Debbie downer move. Totally not my intention and I apologize. I just think you are amazing at what you are doing, providing a resource in your reviews, and a wellspring whereby thirsty Adv Bikers can share ideas, experiences. I've had colleagues that have embarked on similar tacks before and it's such a huge undertaking with respect to customer service, ideation, returns, shipments, time to product launch, etc etc that it has burned them down.

Perhaps a focus on one or two of your core ideas--I like the apparel one especially, I think that the soft pannier market is dominated right now--perhaps take that jacket idea and develop a kickstarter campaign and crowd fund it?
  • Like 2

• Administrators
On 6/30/2017 at 6:52 AM, Barakaiki said:

Reading my response again, it comes off as a Debbie downer move. Totally not my intention and I apologize. I just think you are amazing at what you are doing, providing a resource in your reviews, and a wellspring whereby thirsty Adv Bikers can share ideas, experiences. I've had colleagues that have embarked on similar tacks before and it's such a huge undertaking with respect to customer service, ideation, returns, shipments, time to product launch, etc etc that it has burned them down.

Perhaps a focus on one or two of your core ideas--I like the apparel one especially, I think that the soft pannier market is dominated right now--perhaps take that jacket idea and develop a kickstarter campaign and crowd fund it?

No that's great advice.  I've wondered the same thing.

I've got nothing other than I'm game to look at whatever you come up with.  I do agree a store of items other than the simple things (stickers, shirts, hats, etc) is one heck of an undertaking.  There are some excellent luggage companies in a somewhat flooded market.  Maybe focus on one specific item? Just a thought.  Due to my physique (short, fat, tree stumps for legs) I'm not one for off of the shelf gear so I would just watch the show on that.

Side note...as with so many others I'm more than willing to review, examine, test, evaluate and return anything you would like.  Yes return because too many people just want, want, want and I'm good trying and giving back or paying forward.

• Like 1

I'm old. When you mentioned a riding jacket without the huge  logos and jerseys that dont look like the astronaut pajamas I had in 1963, you captured my attention.

How about a simple pullover windshirt that will fit easily under an air mesh jacket? I have one that I use all the time here in Texas on cool mornings. It simple and easier to use than zipping liners in and out. You can also wear it over a thin fleece. They fold extremely small.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
5 minutes ago, WAGmore said:

I'm in for a handful of stickers, not sure I would be interested in the rest because most of the time I like to see and touch the gear before purchasing. It will be nice to have rider reviews and group buy discounts though...

You can already find reviews here 👍

• Like 1

Why not ,next to stickers etc, add to your store some quality dry bags (2-3 sizes) with your logo on it? 

The ones i buy arent of the major brands, but from shops with diving/marine materials, as all last about the same time/use. 

I think its something we all use and is inexpensive.

just saying..

• Like 1