Jason R

Harley Davidson sales slump

5 posts in this topic

Harley (and BMW) skews older and is particularly vulnerable.  The reluctance of millennials to get into motorcycling I'd say is driven by current economics and will reverse once they can find a decent paying job and actually have some spare cash.

1 person likes this

So technically, I'm a millenial (cue applause and AA-like welcome). Although I did read an article a few weeks ago which had another name for people born in the quite small range from '79 to '81 (I'm from '81).

I agree with Eric, Harley and BMW both target people in a higher age category (to put it somewhat politically correct), athough both also try to address a younger audience as of late. If BMW would produce a more bikes with the look and feel of the S1000R(R) models, but with smaller displacement engines, I think it would appeal more. Personally I don't think the F800 twins really appeal to 'younger' people. And yes, I know I'm somewhat projecting my own opinion here, but I'm a millenial right? ;-)

On the other hand, HD is also targeting a younger audience with bikes like the latest Street Rod, but in my opinion kind of missing the point by removing some of the HD characteristics from the bike. I found the review Fortnine did quite spot on:

So in short, no, I don't think HD is right saying millenials are less interested in motorcycles. Then again, this would be quite an easy thing to investigate in solid numbers. Also, I can't speak for the American market, but as far as I know the number of riders here in the Netherlands are still increasing. And not a lot of Harleys are sold here anyway.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, WarpedRotor said:

That video is hilarious. The FROZEN tattoo made me chuckle.

I find Ryans reviews (either motorcycle or gear reviews) pretty good with portion humour. You should check out his review of the Versys X 300 if you have the time.