Has the GS Brand Fallen So Far?

• Administrators

I get negative comments on things I post every once in a while and I just ignore them for the most part but I can't help but notice a significant amount of negative comments on this post I did featuring a GS riding off road. I thought it was a good video but lots of people seemed to have had enough of the GS. I'm wondering if the stanchion issue has really damaged the brand that much?

I saw the video on IG earlier. The thought 'wow, I hope he got his stanchions fixed' did cross my mind first, but other than that it's a nice video.

So regarding the GS's brand image:

• Yes, I immediately thought about the stanchion issue
  • For the people how are actually taking their GS's offroad more then perhaps onroad, their thoughts about the newer GS's might be in line with yours @Eric Hall, being that the newer models might be steering away from their offroad character
  • There are more then ever good or maybe better alternatives on the market, both comparable (KTM 1290) as more offroad oriented (KTM 1090, Honda AT, you name it).

I think it's probably only natural that the GS brand is loosing marketshare. The stanchion issue will probably speed things up a little, but nevertheless, it will happen.

Having said all of the above, I've read the comments in IG and some people will always express their opinions in stronger fashion than I find necessary, generalising, or respond in context of some kind of misplaced fandom.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

it's probably more complex than just the stanchion issue.

the G in GS is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

i reckon people may indeed be a little tired of seeing GS this, and GS that. especially since, but not limited to:

the price of these bikes is going up and up. quality is going down and down. they are becoming more and more "plastic fantastic". i have a 1200 GSA OC and just bought a 1150 GSA. and i reckon my 1150 will most likely outlive my 1200 OC. which in turn will certainly outlive a 1200 LC.

the customer service has been taking the same path as the quality. in dealerships, service, etc. and also as far as addressing some serious issues (stanchions, to name but that one) and recalls is concerned.

once you've bought this rather expensive bike, you still need to shell out a certain amount of $$$ to get some decent engine guards, skid plates, etc, which, for the price, should already be ON the bike. that being said, since the most "off-road" a majority of these bikes ever do is climbing up on a sidewalk a couple of times a year, that's a debatable point.

then, sometimes, there's also the attitude of some GS owners and how they come across. they know. they can. they have THE bike.

and quite frankly, a lot of them stink ^^

there are a lot of other really nice bikes that perform great and probably better than the GS. it's a shame that we don't see more of this type of video with those.

I'm on my 3rd GS now. Brand loyalty? Kinda. But overall I have loved my bikes and haven't had any REAL issues in the past 5 years. I have noticed a lot of negative comments lately on my social media and others but I do believe it is brought on by the Stanchion issue. I'm happy BMW finally addressed that problem and is taking care of it. 

When I think to myself about the future and my next bike I'm not set on staying with BMW but they have been good to me. The r1200gs fits my body size and really that's why I got it. 2 bikes I'm very interested in is the Honda Africa Twin and the KTM 1290 Super Adventure. I've ridden the AT and it felt awesome and a different beast than my GS. I've yet to ride the KTM but have heard good things about it. 

That being said I think other companies are really bringing better bikes to the market now that compete with the GS so people now really have other good choices to choose from when getting a bike.... 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I get negative comments on things I post every once in a while and I just ignore them for the most part but I can't help but notice a significant amount of negative comments on this post I did featuring a GS riding off road. I thought it was a good video but lots of people seemed to have had enough of the GS. I'm wondering if the stanchion issue has really damaged the brand that much?

I am only on my 2nd GS with my 1st being the 800GSA and put 56k on it in less than 4 years. I am an annual (not a seasonal) rider that finally switched to the big dog 1200 GS Rallye. I only had one issue with the 800 and it was the 'propencitor' which I think was in relation to me switching the OEM counter-sprocket to a 15. I ride off-road and hammered the 800 hard and without complaints. I've seen and heard just as many complaints about the KTMs over the years. Just ride what you like. There's no top dog except the one that you're on top of, . Hahahahaha. Enjoy the ride. A dedicated drinking the Kool-aide BMW Rider. Besides, one of the other posters here mentioned dropping $20k on a bike. I haven't ever seen a cheap KTM.
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on my second GSA only because of the amazing deal I got.  The first is going to my son so we'll both have very similar bikes. 

I like many of the other bikes, smaller, lighter, lower seat but I'll admit I'm spoiled with the aftermarket available for the GS but others are getting much more following.