A Day and a Half in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

After descending from the mountain and into the town of Borrego Springs, I arrive at the Borrego Springs State Park campground and get set up. Set up without delay as there is riding to do--even in the heat and direct sun. The 3-liter Camelback will continue to keep me going.

Off to find the serpent...

I find this sculpture, and others south of town amongst the groves of Palm Trees.

Borrego-Springs-SP-camp.jpg

690-serpent.jpg

• Like 1

After the local exploring, I return back to the campsite, get out of the riding gear, and grab a cold brew from the cooler. A few sites up the road, I see two couples sitting under their RV awning and I head that way. Upon arriving I start a conversation to the folks (one couple about my age and the other I suspect are parents of one) by greeting them with "I'm not the brightest person on this earth, but I can recognize those who are knowledgeable." Friendly giggles followed. Really though, I had suspected the seniors have been here a time or two and probably could answer a question or two. 

My camp neighbors are friendly and helpful.

I learn the reason for the existence of Borrego Springs is because there is water. Ok. Water is important in the desert. Further, I learn of the oasis about two miles north of where I was standing. They recommend an early morning hike to see it. 

Sounds like a great early morning activity after packing up the tent.

Here is where my less than two hours round-trip, early morning hike takes me. Only see a couple of people on my way into the valley/draw but more on my way out. Also, with the low sun I was in the mountain shadow about 90% of the hike.

Not a difficult hike as there is no climbing of elevation getting to the oasis, but if you want to get in close, there is some small rocks to negotiate. 

Oasis-sign.jpg

• Like 1