Sonora Rally 2018

That would be huge!  Thanks very much!  Getting hitch installed tomorrow morning at 8:00 am.  Have to go up to Valencia either tomorrow or Sat to get the 450x.
Available whenever, I will fill the tires/spare etc today. If I'm not home I will hide a key for hitch lock
  • Like 3

• Administrators

Picked up @NavyNuke's trailer yesterday then drove to Valencia to pick up the bike and also spent about four hours prepping the bike with the selfless help of Garrett Poucher. We got his suspension he loaned me for the rally school off then our stock suspension modified by Konflict Suspension on, bolts torqued, etc... we also put the bin mousses in the tires, changed the pegs to these Impact pegs from Fasstco along with their handguards. Also set the sag and it was right on the money already! Alex at Konflict does great work. Put the stock muffler and header back on and it runs like a champ!

Trailering out today to Yuma then will cross border for a 4:00 race meeting at the Araiza hotel in San Luis Rio Colorado.

https://instagram.com/p/Bgd31CcgN3u/

• Like 2

Picked up [mention=246]NavyNuke[/mention]'s trailer yesterday then drove to Valencia to pick up the bike and also spent about four hours prepping the bike with the selfless help of Garrett Poucher. We got his suspension he loaned me for the rally school off then our stock suspension modified by Konflict Suspension on, bolts torqued, etc... we also put the bin mousses in the tires, changed the pegs to these Impact pegs from Fasstco along with their handguards. Also set the sag and it was right on the money already! Alex at Konflict does great work. Put the stock muffler and header back on and it runs like a champ!

Trailering out today to Yuma then will cross border for a 4:00 race meeting at the Araiza hotel in San Luis Rio Colorado.

https://instagram.com/p/Bgd31CcgN3u/

GET SOME Eric! Super envious and looking forwards to the race updates. Great support from the group too, love to see this
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I have to mention something about wrenching on the bikes last night. I mean, it doesn’t sound very glamorous working on motorcycles in a cold garage on a Saturday night but these guys Garrett Poucher and Skylar Howes are like rock stars in racing and here I am tinkering on my bike with their help and talking racing and Baja etc. listening to Suicidal Tendencies of course. It was a great moment.

I’m really just a 50-year-old dad from Irvine who likes to ride his adventure bike and all the sudden I get to be a part of this incredible rally with some great racers. Kind of felt like I was backstage a concert. Epic.

• Like 3

• Administrators

I was a bit concerned getting the bike across the border because it’s not plated which means it’s not registered which means I’d have paperwork problems if they stopped me.

So I parked at a buddy’s house in Yuma and then he drove me in my car with the bike on the trailer so I could just ride across. I’ve found when riding they rarely stop you and it worked!

• Like 2

• Administrators

Short day today with tech inspection and a 27k or so prologue. Saw Jerry and Tiff pitting for another rider, Avi.

I also see a Tiger 800 someone rode here as well as a MS1200. This guy’s going to do the prologue today and zip back home for a client meeting tomorrow and miss Special stage 1. He said he already paid to ride and wants to keep his client so you do what you gotta do. That’s when you know someone loves racing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Hall said:

Short day today with tech inspection and a 27k or so prologue. Saw Jerry and Tiff pitting for another rider, Avi.

I also see a Tiger 800 someone rode here as well as a MS1200. This guy’s going to do the prologue today and zip back home for a client meeting tomorrow and miss Special stage 1. He said he already paid to ride and wants to keep his client so you do what you gotta do. That’s when you know someone loves racing! emoji23.png

Ok, want to know how the 500+ Ducati does!  Curious about the tiger too, but I have seen those modified for racing.  

• Administrators

Did pretty well on the prologue. Garrett said the website shows me at 32:53 or 9th.

I got a weird penalty though at the start of the times section for “getting there early.” I had no speed penalties and did see the countdown but Mike from Rally Comp said “if the countdown is less than 300 you’re okay.” Mine said 170 so I went ahead about 50 yards to the timed section start and that’s when it said I had a penalty.

This day only determines starting order tomorrow so it’s not a big deal really.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason R said:

So i was reading this Dakar article that Altrider put up and it was talking about how Jimmy Lewis would lead people down the wrong path then jump back on course.  Sounds like a fun tactic for you to do Eric!  :ride:

Last year at TOD, Kellon Walch said he used that same tactic racing Dakar.  Sneaky bastards...

• Like 2

• Administrators

So close I could taste it! Rear mousse failed 10k short of the finish yesterday. Waited about 90 min to be picked up.

Garrett is out with a bad transmission and offered me his rear wheel to do today’s final stage.

To be fair, the avg life of a mousse in racing is about 200 miles so I pushed this one too far.