Sonora Rally 2018

• Administrators

March 19-23, 2018

PlaqueSonoraRallyMexico.png

I'm going to try to do this one.  Four days.  LOTS of dunes.  BIG dunes.

Woody's helping me out with a new 2.5" rear rim that should handle the mousse much better.  With that size rear rim I may even do the Enduro ST (Motoz) rear.  I'm going to need all the sand traction I can get.  The Desert H/T was really good but I'll see what I can do here.

• Like 8

• Administrators

I sent out a request for sponsorship and so far have $500 committed from one company but I'll hold off announcing who that is until I actually get it in January, lol.  Another company "wanted" to sponsor us for Baja Rally and I put their logo on the tshirt but then they backed out.  I saw recently they're sponsoring another rider who has a whopping 1100 followers on Instagram so go figure.

If I can raise the $6k through companies/individuals I may do a new wrap for the bike with just their logos.  It is a lot of fun for me of course but it's also a lot of work that will generate a lot of content that people want to be associated with so I basically have no shame in asking :lol:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

@Joshua Jones posted this video of the dunes of the Sonora Rally.  Apparently there are a LOT of dunes and they happen to be the largest in North America apparently.

Oh chit!  Coming down to practice in the imperial sand dunes?  I can run behind you with a tow strap and med kit on the polaris 700.  =)

• Like 2

• Administrators

Key is to keep moving, read the dunes well (up windward side but caution for drop offs and witches' eyes) all while navigating via a road book. Chances are there will be many tracks for me to follow but I also need to get there early in the day when the sand is firmer. It loosens up in the heat of the day. Punta Colonet Dunes at Baja Rally were brief and tame compared to the Sonora Rally. Jason Adams rode his modified boxer but the thing looks barely 400 lbs; like a skinny HP2

• Like 1