Sonora Rally 2018

• Administrators

Close to bowing out of this one. I just do t think I can do these big dry sand dunes on a 990. Plus, I poked a rib in Baja and it’s still bugging me. They are doing a dune navigation class Feb 17 but not sure my rib will be better by then, plus the struggle of the big bike. I’ve done dunes plenty on the bike but they were either beach dunes that are wet or lines I picked; not trying to maintain a cap heading over big dunes for 26 miles.

What I could really use is a smaller bike, like. 690/701. If I can borrow one then I might still do it.

• Like 1

• Administrators

png&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=339%2B193

Here's the link to their rally school.  Pretty cool as it will be geared more towards dune riding and dune navigation; something that I haven't done before.  Dunes are all "HP" or off-piste (hors piste) so they typically will lead you into the dunes at some point with just a cap heading or compass direction (e.g. 180 degrees) and then you maintain that heading for a specific distance but it could be something like 26 miles or so before your direction will either change or you exit the dunes.  Typically waypoints will open up when you reach a certain distance which could be something like 800-1000 meters and then the arrow pops up on the Rally Comp computer (I think that's what they're using) and the arrow directs you to the waypoint.

Key to dune riding is obviously speed and momentum but it's also in reading which sides of the dune you want to ascend & descend based on the direction the sand has been blown.  Key skills are things like knowing how to turn your bike around and back down a dune you're not likely to crest (saves a ton of energy digging it out), cresting a dune, avoiding "witch eyes" or softer hollows of super fine sand that are good at stopping your bike with you continuing over the handlebars.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

You're not going to believe this (I can hardly myself) but I was just told a certain OEM is trying to secure me a ~450ish press bike to do the dune training and rally on!

CANNOT BELIEVE IT!

Perfect ! Then you’ll want to buy one ??

• Like 1

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, Jason R said:

What did I miss?  You got a Honda CRF 450X to ride? 

That seems to be the plan.  My buddy there who set me up with the AT demo is working on it and says I can most likely pick it up next week (if all goes well).  I will believe it when I see it but worst case I may also have a KTM 300 that belongs to Luis (Jimmy) Esqivel he said I can use (for a small fee).

• Like 1

You may be right there.  I cross-posted over at ThumperTalk and got this advice which is basically a few kits that re-wire the stator.
I would need a bigger stator, beefier regulator rectifier and more battery to smooth out voltage. Might even need a dual stator setup with 1 channel for lighting and another for rally comp.

Plus having to kick start the pig all day can get tiring
  • Like 2