690 Adventure?

• Administrators

t’s been eight long years since the KTM 640 Adventure last appeared on showroom floors. Since 1998, the 640 Adventure was beloved for its light weight, 300+ mile fuel range and long-travel suspension that made it a highly capable long-distance off-road travel machine. There was much to love about the...

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/spy-photos-ktm-690-adventure/

New-KTM-690-Adventure-561x374.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I switched from the 690 R (with mods), which I used for single or multi-day adventures, to the 990 ADV (with mods) for the comfort, and I would not go back. The extra weight means the bike absorbs the rough terrain, rather than the rider, and while it can get tiring lifting her back up after a fall, I avoid falling more than a couple of times a day.  The mono also vibrates more, despite what anyone may say about the improvements to reduce vibrations. I can now ride for 8 - 12 hrs/day without hand or bum numbness, and in most situations ride just as fast off road because the suspension is working out, not me.

Now, if they brought out a 800 ADV twin at 180kg dry with 25+ L fuel, I'd buy one without a second thought. That sounds like the 800GS, but I mean built tough (KTM style) with a real off-road attitude.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

I think it will be a 800cc parallel twin from what early reports say. I can't see why they can't adapt the 690r into an adventure configuration. I'm hoping to aquire a 701 husq. and adventurize it. First order of business would be to put a Brittania Comp. windscreen on it.

Tolga from Ride Must Go On has a deal with Husky now to take their 701 around the world.  They are working on it now and should have it done sometime in November.  Tolga will be staging from my house so I'll be sure to post lots of pictures of the final build.  I keep getting boxes sent to my place and wondering what's inside ;)

• Like 2

Wow! That's really exciting! Can't wait to see how it's completely set up! Certainly fantastic times for the KTM/HUSQ brands and everyone that enjoys exploration by two wheels ! Even though I'm older , I'm more excited about motorcycling now than when I was much younger. KTM is really uping the ante in the motorcycle manufacture world.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Check out my Instagram @gsa.007 and you'll see I already have a Safari Tanks front tank and Britannia Composites fairing setup. ;-)  

What kind of improvements are you hoping they make?  I love this bike.  A lot.  I also ride a BMW GSA and swapping between the two bikes is very welcome.  I appreciate the simplicity of the 690 compared to the GSA.  I'm actually more comfortable on the 690 with the Seat Concepts seat now than I am on my GSA with the brick Touratech seat.  (biggest waste of money I've ever spent).  Now that I've got the fairing on the 690, it's gotten even easier to just cruise on the bike since I'm not getting pounded with highway speed winds in my chest.  If reliability doesn't become an issue, I can very easily see the 690 becoming my main bike for some really big trips.  To each their own though.  Bikes that I love, others hate, and vice versa.  

• Like 2

@GSA.007- Exactly! Like the diversity of choosing between a single, like my KLR , and my 990-R , a real performer. Just saying theirs usually room for improvement no matter how small after a first edition. I do have this attachment to the KLR but I do want a single with more performance and adventure capacity. There are some nuances between the 690 and 701 as I've read. Maybe they give them better headlights, longer service interval, better seat , better subframe etc in another few years. Can't wait to get one that's for sure!

• Like 1

@GSA.007- Exactly! Like the diversity of choosing between a single, like my KLR , and my 990-R , a real performer. Just saying theirs usually room for improvement no matter how small after a first edition. I do have this attachment to the KLR but I do want a single with more performance and adventure capacity. There are some nuances between the 690 and 701 as I've read. Maybe they give them better headlights, longer service interval, better seat , better subframe etc in another few years. Can't wait to get one that's for sure!

The service intervals right now are at 6,000 miles on my 690.  That's the same interval as on my '15 GSA 1200.  It's crazy on the 690, there are three oil filters, two replaceable and one that is a coarse screen that needs cleaning each time.  

@gsa.007- my 990ADV takes oil changes to a level beyond the 690! That's ok, it's a cycle that's really a blast to ride, fast. I'm a Beemer freak my whole life until some years ago and was ready to get my first GS and then stumbled across a great deal on a new 990. Now I'm entrenched in the whole KTM world, hence my desire for a 701/690 ! Have you thought of any of the Mosko Moto panniers for the 690? Happy Trails

• Like 1

@gsa.007- my 990ADV takes oil changes to a level beyond the 690! That's ok, it's a cycle that's really a blast to ride, fast. I'm a Beemer freak my whole life until some years ago and was ready to get my first GS and then stumbled across a great deal on a new 990. Now I'm entrenched in the whole KTM world, hence my desire for a 701/690 ! Have you thought of any of the Mosko Moto panniers for the 690? Happy Trails

I have thought about it.  I already have the Reckless 80 system and it fits the 690 perfectly.  I'll likely get the 40 version as well for day trips.  I'm picking up regular Mosko panniers for my 1200 next month and I may end up adding backer plates to the 690 as well so I can just swap the bags back and forth as needed.  Doubtful though if I end up with the Reckless 40 as well.  I'll likely just use the reckless setups on the 690 to keep things as simple as possible.  

• Like 2

Have previously invested in the Kriega system for my 990 and if I wind up with 690 I'll looked at setting it up for that as well.image.jpg

Really impressed with the Mosko products , so much already invested in Kriega , Giant Loop etc. That's the overlander 60 mounted to the oem frames.

Looking forward to seeing your set up on the 690R. A terrible thing being moto addicted , don't you agree? Chase those blue skies :)

Edited by PeteMoto
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well something is up! I just checked out the new line up at "KTM.com" and they do not have the 690R Adventure listed. 690 Duke Yup, 690SM Yup.

Makes me think they dropped it for a year while they work on a new one? I doubt it with Husky retaining their 701. Unless a separate unveiling is coming up down the road?

HMMMMMMMM?

RPM

• Like 1