KTM 790 Adventure R Spy Photos

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hearing a few things about the 790...

One is that it has a cable clutch.  I guess that's to keep the cost down but "ready to race?"

Another is that it will be made in China.  Many bike mfg's have sourced parts from China but this seems like a big deal from a major OEM.  Most of the world's motorcycles are in fact made in China but at a deep discount to the major brands.  KTM commands a certain profit so their move to make a bike in China had better be solid or my bet is the brand takes a major hit.  Many people said the same about Japan in the 60's and then saw Japan rapidly improve and just about take over moto mfg.  The same is happening in China and may continue to improve.  We'll see.

2 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

One is that it has a cable clutch.  I guess that's to keep the cost down but "ready to race?"

Wrote about this in my first post in this thread.
It also can be seen in every photo out there; the 790 Duke has been out for a year, also with a cable clutch.

How is this news?

Is the 790 Duke made in China?

I prefer a cable clutch to be honest. When I was a kid riding in the big redwoods I’d occasionally get cables stuck on trees and bushes. Cables would snap and I’d always have a backup cable taped to the old one. Easy trail fix. 

Ive heard of riders loosing clutch hydraulics and totally ruining a trip. From time to time I have this worry when riding my adv bike solo.

This wouldn’t change my mind on the 790. I’m probably going to change over in 2020 with a new bike and I’ll be watching this model closely. 

Im mostly concern about aftermarket bike protection. How can these tanks be protected? 

Edited by Rogers
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 1:21 PM, Eric Hall said:

Not impressed. I mean, I’m impressed by the concept but this is still a concept bike. Intermot was supposed to promise new news on the production 790 ADV. #nothingburger

I was also very disappointed we didn’t see a finished production ready model. Glad I wasn’t waiting for it

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...