Spring '18 Rally

• Administrators
On 4/20/2018 at 0:46 PM, Pmskreta said:

I'm interested in going but won't know until right before the event. When will the cut off be?

I have a cap of 50 and we're only at about 22 now.  I'm expecting about 30.  I'm sure you'll be fine to register up until the 4th.

• Administrators

We are at the Black Canyon Group and Equestrian Campground.  You will see signs when you get off at Essex road at I-40 that says Hole in the Wall Campground then go right to the group campground.  It's across the road from the visitor center (where the fresh water is you'll want to fill your hydro pack when you leave and get back to camp).

Those arriving Thu will need to camp at Hole in the Wall campground across the road.  It's $12/site/night and I think 5 is the limit per site.  First come first served but they will be mostly empty.

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 11.00.30 AM.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

New and hopefully final set of tracks here

Right on my man!! When I opened this file it came as some strange dump file. Then it opened in my Garmin Base Camp!! Fuel stops and everything. You did a fantastic job laying out a nice track. I think I will turn off all my maps and just enjoy as much of what you have laid out on Saturday.

It looks like we will be fine on fuel. I have about a 180 mile range. My body has about the same! LOL

• Like 1

Fuel heads up for those riding in on the 40 heading east.  Buy fuel in Barstow, then top off in Ludlow  for just under $5 per gallon.  Then bypass the Essex exit and go to Goffs where you will find what you may consider to be the most expensive fuel you have seen in the US just shy of $6 per gallon. Top off your bike.  You will think Ludlow is cheap in comparison.  You will now have less than 30 miles to camp with a pretty full tank. 

If you are coming in from the 15, Cima exit is where you will fuel It is 39 miles to camp. Half asphalt/Half very easy graded road.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Bip Schkaboden said:

Fuel heads up for those riding in on the 40 heading east.  Buy fuel in Barstow, then top off in Ludlow  for just under $5 per gallon.  Then bypass the Essex exit and go to Goffs where you will find what you may consider to be the most expensive fuel you have seen in the US just shy of $6 per gallon. Top off your bike.  You will think Ludlow is cheap in comparison.  You will now have less than 30 miles to camp with a pretty full tank. 

If you are coming in from the 15, Cima exit is where you will fuel It is 39 miles to camp. Half asphalt/Half very easy graded road.

Thanks, Gary!  Did you get your fill of Mojave sand or are you joining us?

• Like 1

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Bip Schkaboden said:

I did not make that trip due to a self inflicted mechanical error. Heard there was miles and miles and miles of deep sand.  

Well only if that's what you're looking for!  Lots of Starbucks-friendly miles on our scenic course.  But yeah, the advanced course has lots of deep sand but I've done it on the 990 and it's straight so you just twist the throttle and you're on it.

• Like 2

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Dhillr said:

Where was the link for the raffle tickets??   Thought it was here but or on FB but can't find it. 

Here you go!

We will have plenty of tickets for sale at the event but you can also pre-buy if you like.  100% of it goes directly to Motorrad Angels.  I don't touch it.

I have the route planned out for myself. I'm thinking the Adventure #2.Since I will only be riding Saturday that seems like the best choice for stopping at the Lava formations to take pics and fuel stop taking my time. 

This is my very first stab at adventure riding with a group. I hope there are a few guys I can join that want to do that loop. For this ride I really want to be able to take my time and have fun. The last big organized dual sport "event" (Big Bear Run) was brutal!! I practiced all the hard trails and hit the gym for a few months before the event. Day of the event I only made it less than 60 miles before bailing. 

Thank you Eric for putting together some really nice loops with options for bail outs. BTW, how are those rocky hill climbs near the lava tubes? Are we talking loose baby head? Or big boulders we have to lift our bikes over? Do I need to bring my block and tackle? I always carry various rope and 2 good carabiners just in case....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ballisticexchris said:

I have the route planned out for myself. I'm thinking the Adventure #2.Since I will only be riding Saturday that seems like the best choice for stopping at the Lava formations to take pics and fuel stop taking my time. 

This is my very first stab at adventure riding with a group. I hope there are a few guys I can join that want to do that loop. For this ride I really want to be able to take my time and have fun. The last big organized dual sport "event" (Big Bear Run) was brutal!! I practiced all the hard trails and hit the gym for a few months before the event. Day of the event I only made it less than 60 miles before bailing. 

Thank you Eric for putting together some really nice loops with options for bail outs. BTW, how are those rocky hill climbs near the lava tubes? Are we talking loose baby head? Or big boulders we have to lift our bikes over? Do I need to bring my block and tackle? I always carry various rope and 2 good carabiners just in case....

I dont think anything can be that difficult for our Betas on this ride. It is a big bike ride after all!

• Like 2