Spring '18 Rally

4 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

@Ballisticexchris  I thought you might have followed us north after the lava tubes but didnt see you behind us.  I'm wondering if you have an older Garmin that only allows tracks of 500 points or less?

I think it holds more than 500 points. It's just an old and beat up 76CSX. And yes I did end up behind you guys. I ended up finding some scull bones with cross you marked on the tracks and followed that sandy mine road to Cima. The ride was absolutely breathtaking!! I had to keep stopping so I could enjoy the Joshua tree forest.

And Eric it's quite obvious you are a very fit and acomplished rider. If you can swing it I would highly recommend a 1290 for your next bike. It's about 50 lbs more than your 990 but what a bike!! I was running my Beta hard through some rollers and was passed on a 1290 like I was standing still!! I cannot believe how well the 1290 tracks at speed through the rollers!! While those BMW's are really nice, I don't think they would suite your style of riding. 20 years ago I would not hesitate to get a 1290.

OTOH, if you like the well sorted 990 keep it! How did those Motoz tires work out? I bet the front got crazy traction compared to you well worn old one!! LOL

I plan on going to more of these rally's as time allows. I wish I could have stayed longer but had to go back to reality called work.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks Chris!  I do love that 1290R and got to ride a friend's in Death Valley once from Ubehebe crater to Teakettle junction and it was a blast!  I think I'm looking more at the 1090R though for weight.

Glad you had a good time!  Got a ride report up now if you'd like to share you pics...

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 6:26 AM, Eric Hall said:

Thanks Chris!  I do love that 1290R and got to ride a friend's in Death Valley once from Ubehebe crater to Teakettle junction and it was a blast!  I think I'm looking more at the 1090R though for weight.

Glad you had a good time!  Got a ride report up now if you'd like to share you pics...

Is the weight that significant? I can't imagine it being that much more. Eric I think you need to go big! This is XLADV right? :)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Is the weight that significant? I can't imagine it being that much more. Eric I think you need to go big! This is XLADV right? :)

That's what I'm saying!! Go big or go home!! LOL:P 

My head was tingling when one of those 1290's blew past me!! They sound like a jet motor. If I was only 20 years younger. The older I get the faster I was.......

Edited by Ballisticexchris
  • Like 2