Spring '18 Rally

• Administrators

Event will be at Mohave National Preserve!

Stay tuned!

REGISTRATION LINK HERE

Sponsors:

SENA

Signed up so far:

@Jason R

@greedyg

Mike Thomas

Steven Hernandez

@Rogers

Evan Brown

Garret Ortiz

Matt Norton

Chris T

Dave Elmer

Christopher Moritz

Monte Cottrell

Ralph Wenger

Troy Reeves

Doug Stout 1

Doug Stout 2

Brandon Limb

@WildTurkey

@Kurt Asplindh

Neil Reynolds

Vlad Pavlov

Brian C

Robert Montero

@Trinie Lara

@Dennis Godwin

@MotorradAngels

Sandro Marino

Robert Smith

Stan Iordonov

Rick Giroux

Dennis G guest

Gary Rebensdorf

Evan B guest

Randy Commans

Peter Wallace

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

So this is probably not going to happen, at least not at this location.  Kind of bummed about it.  The problem is essentially the county government cracking down on this place for things like their pool not being ADA-compliant or there toilets weren't signed off by an engineer.

There are some other locations I'm considering, however, so stay tuned.  I have an idea for a really cool Mojave National Preserve ride.

• Administrators

Okay so I did actually just book at site in the Mohave National Preserve for the weekend of May 4-6.  It's a group site next to the Hole-in-the-Wall campground.  I will most likely have to do a "special use permit" because of the number of us who will be riding around the park.  They're going to want us to be extremely careful vis a vis the desert tortoise so there may be some enforced speed zones with a ranger or two to make sure we're being responsible.  And it goes without saying but they'll want us to ensure no one will be riding off-trail.  I explained these are adventure motorcycle touring bikes, not dirt bikes.  They're plated, street legal, etc... and are not capable of doing "anything but the most basic roads in the park."

I did this ride once for Jesse Kimball's birthday (he's the Flying Monkey rally guy) and Tyler of Everide came with his drone and it was by far the best three days of riding I'd ever done.  It's scenic like Death Valley but the roads are much better; more fun.  Yes, there's lots of sand in parts but that's part of the fun.  At least all the roads are straight so you can really just accelerate your way through any issues.  There's lots of easy grade 1 roads there too for the beginners.

There are a few mines to see as well as a lava tube and I hear they re-opened Mitchell Caverns which would be fantastic to see.

Funds will be raised for Motorrad Angels but my aim is to keep the price very affordable.  It's by no means a commercial event.

I still need to work out some details on the special use permit.   There's also NO WATER (under construction) at the campsite but there is at the visitor center.  I'll be sure to have plenty of potable water there for us.  There's also a large fire place and covered picnic tables.

It could be warm but it's also snowed in April many times so there's a chance it could be in the 80's or 50's.  It's at 4,000' in elevation so it's anyone's guess.

I will get a site at Hole in the Wall next door for Thurs night for anyone who wants to come up then so we get a full day of riding in on Friday too.

I'll also work on a catering solution.

Rider count limited to 30 people.  Registration link will be live soon.

Feel free to weigh in with any questions.

• Like 4

I was super jealous when I heard about Jesse's B-day ride, so I'm excited about this one.  I've been trying to get Shane out to the Preserve for a year so this would be a great intro for him.  If the plan is to come back to the same spot every night, we could easily arrange a support vehicle (read a certain 4x4 Sprinter) to haul in H2o for the crowd.    I've been there in May and you are right Eric, no telling what you will get as far as weather.

Edited by greedyg
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Park Map.  I'll have gps tracks with gas stop waypoints eventually too

The exit is 100; Essex Road which is about 100 miles east of Barstow.  The campsite is 121 miles from Barstow.  Gas at exit 107 Ludlow too and then north off the 15 at Cima road.

Just don't do like i did and head out over the desert headed northeast out of Landers or you'll interrupt the US Marines live fire exercises at 29 Palms base :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Good news! No permit needed but with a few caveats:

Street legal bike only (obvious)
No riding off trail (obvious)
No groups larger than 7 at a time
Watch for tortoise

What I got back:
We do not recommend particular routes but do advise that all vehicles, motorcycles included, must stay on existing roads at all times (NO cross country driving). You can use these attached layers in Google Earth to see where the roads go. Be advised a lot of roads are surrounded on either side by wilderness, which prohibits motorized vehicles and mechanized transport, and that approximately half of the Preserve is desert tortoise critical habitat (and that tortoises will often cross roads, regardless of habitat designation).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...