Spring '18 Rally

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Ballisticexchris said:

I have the route planned out for myself. I'm thinking the Adventure #2.Since I will only be riding Saturday that seems like the best choice for stopping at the Lava formations to take pics and fuel stop taking my time. 

This is my very first stab at adventure riding with a group. I hope there are a few guys I can join that want to do that loop. For this ride I really want to be able to take my time and have fun. The last big organized dual sport "event" (Big Bear Run) was brutal!! I practiced all the hard trails and hit the gym for a few months before the event. Day of the event I only made it less than 60 miles before bailing. 

Thank you Eric for putting together some really nice loops with options for bail outs. BTW, how are those rocky hill climbs near the lava tubes? Are we talking loose baby head? Or big boulders we have to lift our bikes over? Do I need to bring my block and tackle? I always carry various rope and 2 good carabiners just in case....

That rocky section isnt too bad

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 1:10 PM, Beta_Not said:

Excited to be coming out! I'll be on my "light" adv bike! I just got a new Baja Designs squadron pro headlight so I'm hoping some might be down for a night ride!

20180311_111921.jpg

I have the Squadron on my bike as well. Great lamp. I also pulled my portable helmet mount Stryker out of storage. I have my batteries charging as I type this. If I'm not too tired count me in for a night ride! That would be awesome!

• Like 1

From Facebook:

Menu update! Food will be provide by Tracy King and the menu will be:

Fri dinner: Carne and Pollo Asada tacos with beans, salsa bar, chips, poppers
Saturday morning: Huevos Americana 
Saturday night: Grilled Teriyaki Chicken and stir fry Asian Veggies
Sunday morning: Banana Pancakes and sausage.

We will have water and coffee as well.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Im delayed by parts.  I got a used rear header pipe but it requires an exhaust gasket which I ordered from the dealer and paid $20 for overnight shipping from KTM in Ohio.  But the shipment didn't go out like it's supposed to so it didn't show yesterday.  Hopefully today between now and about noon it will be there (fingers crossed).  Then I have to go pick it up, pick up Dennis' trailer at his house, come back to mine, fix the bike, load, pack, etc...  I had to take the rear shock off so it's going to take me at least 90 min to get it all back together.  Most likely be there after dark tonight but will have beer ;)

Just remember that for tonight only you'll need to camp at Hole in the Wall campground across the road on the left from the group campground entrance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Hall said:

Im delayed by parts.  I got a used rear header pipe but it requires an exhaust gasket which I ordered from the dealer and paid $20 for overnight shipping from KTM in Ohio.  But the shipment didn't go out like it's supposed to so it didn't show yesterday.  Hopefully today between now and about noon it will be there (fingers crossed).  Then I have to go pick it up, pick up Dennis' trailer at his house, come back to mine, fix the bike, load, pack, etc...  I had to take the rear shock off so it's going to take me at least 90 min to get it all back together.  Most likely be there after dark tonight but will have beer ;)

Just remember that for tonight only you'll need to camp at Hole in the Wall campground across the road on the left from the group campground entrance.

Well I see I'm not the only one that thrashes pipes!! LOL

I just replaced my header pipe a few weeks back. I'm sure you already know that the old gasket in the head is a pain to remove.

IMG_2994.JPG.369d3abed2330eb7c308317ef0a6fac9.JPGIMG_2996.JPG.5a57dbd007b10b7855f6a909b6f4ba29.JPG

Edited by Ballisticexchris
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dhillr said:

Packed and ready to roll!!  

Camping near Hemet tomorrow and plan to arrive in Mojave around lunch time Friday for some early exploration.  

You all ride safe and we'll see you this weekend!

Cheers!

Dave

2q3t2k3WKRNQo2tECypiMuZDaoZyf0klo_746Z5IvwfxJ9TC1sj9A6I5r581VzgmW_NYMyN4enTzFNvE6Wsp0qzqVk-uw0oOdsqGAd4ji2G2cNybIgnsK8qV7lx0cNJP2f0Y42gjEuMwBeY7sOrEJQ_F8KkM5P01AlKlygFep6tcpQkXwejJqAQ2upsHL-Y8yp7yenF3oMmMJkCjs0NgROmqxzr_NLTx8YPy60v4lvnxssG03jGUFNm2MgKFsiPya10qMUOac_-LUtE_MaI8n64FmgYIxkLl-ilFwtrGaHTFhY3xVBCxXib751gaUNHBVFUX9SzmHgS_lApW07_9TDrK5N2gzCs-CgH37qrq7cDI9NI9opIbqPk0jTwlOj9tjYXFfn18BtTuaY_usIp89MMNyNvrxdPvCTpNvysa3d-sy5oke3ygISEHaFsgLwK05y3Gy9N1n-_SltMVhbyZUn5_VDmbbIt6ZhS-D4iavc-alDs68GBMK74wrklE_d5qWzc1oUVYSNOX5Om0IcDt3MjQbH4vZsoPsmJNfKU7Ug-6zSj3qXh2yWKXZ-KGDeN71zMfm38QqhOonfwaiDyfJt-B3jNO-bm8gWehOFI=w1265-h949-no

Man oh man That's a really nice setup!! I hope you guys who are riding out "self contained" don't mind me taking pictures of your bikes and what you pack. I am very new at this and want to get some ideas for when I get my beast.

Edited by Ballisticexchris
  • Like 2

I'll 

10 minutes ago, Ballisticexchris said:

Man oh man That's a really nice setup!! I hope you guys who are riding out "self contained" don't mind me taking pictures of your bikes and what you pack. I am very new at this and want to get some ideas for when I get my beast.

Less is more.  Extra undies, what?

If all goes as planned, I'll be heading out later tonight as well

• Like 1

I suppose I should start packing.  I have a delivery to make in the morning so I won't get away early and won't really be able to catch any dirt on Friday.  I should be there by 6pm at the latest and most likely riding in early afternoon if things go well in the AM.

• Like 2

Great event with a great turnout and good food with some great options for routes to follow. Big thumbs up and I would encourage you to go next year if you get a chance!  

So on the way home I thought I would take 247 from Barstow as I never been on that road.  When I got to Lucerne, I looked up and saw a bunch of roads. Hmmmm! Wonder if they will take me where I need to go?  Wanderered around a bit trying to find my way around.  Sitting at a dirt intersection and some guy rides up on a GS!  Hey, you look like you are on your way back from the Mojave Preserve ride? Huh?  How does that happen.  Anyway, a great guy named Jay, wanted to attend the ride but work wouldn't allow for it.  He was on his way up a road that he thought would would take him to Fawnskin and he was happy to have me along.  I passed this time but he gave me an idea of the direction I needed to go. I explored around a bit and was clearly in a riding area. Couldn't tell from my GPS if I could get where I wanted to go.  

Coming down the hill from this off-road park, still very much on sandy dirt roads, I encountered 3 young ladies in a Zip-Car with three matching pizzas.  They were looking for Deep Creek.  I told them they couldn't go up that road and to follow me toward Deep Creek.  Waited a bit but never saw them. I sure hope they bought the extra insurance if they tried to go up the hill.  It was easily an Eric Hall described Intermediate course!

• Like 3

I too had a great time and would highly recommend this ride!! It's time for me to get a new GPS soon. The ADV2 tracks ended at the lava tubes. For some reason my Garmin Basecamp did not communicate properly with my old GPS. It was no biggie though. I had a map as backup and ended up on a sandy mining road that got me to the shell station in Cima. After seeing all the different flavors of bikes guys were riding I'm still saving for the Super Tenere. The gentlemen riding his went everywhere the rest of the big bikes did and his smile was just as big!!

If I was 20 years younger I would be getting the KTM 1290!! That is the trophy truck of adventure bikes!! My god they sound like a jet motor when passing me!!

Thank you Eric for putting this together.

• Like 1

Great to meet a few new gents and catch up with some old friends this weekend.  Unfortunately, I wrecked my ankle/foot/big toe trying to show off in front of @Rogers on Friday afternoon and decided to bail Saturday morning.  The bike and I will both survive, just a bit worse for wear with a little scratched paint and a few torn ligaments...<_<

Edited by greedyg