Brake Magazine Tells Us Why You Need Motocross Boots

Lel from Brake Magazine hit it on the head here.  You just can't wear "adventure" boots and hope to not be injured.  Read the whole thing.

Another good point he makes is that you'll especially need boots like this when you're learning (falling more).

I crushed my right rear Achilles tendon wearing the old BMW GS Rallye 3 boots (Forma Dominator Comp) so I went with the Gaerne SG12's and now the Alpinestars Tech10.  They are heavy but I really need the protection and have seen way too many a rider with a busted food, fibula, tib/fib, etc... wearing "adventure" boots.

I have a pair of Alpinestars Corazol boots that offer more protection that most "ADV" marketed boots, but I also have a pair of these when I know I'm going to be riding fast/hard with buddies in rougher terrain. There is a significant difference in the amount of protection offered between the two. I love the comfort and walkability of the Corazols for sure, but the TCX are a completely different level when it comes to taking hits.

9661_COMP-EVO-MICHELIN_ORANGE-GREY.jpg

I run AStars Tech 7 Enduro's for gnarly days and because they felt like slippers, I opted for the AStars Toucan for ADV/Long trips. I've worn both interchangeably as needed

Both fit like dipping your wedding tackle into a fresh apple pie since day one and I've no regrets about protection

Curious to see/hear what you rabble are sporting

~Peter

Tech7Enduro.PNG

Toucan GTX.PNG

i have the Sidi Crossfire 2 SRS, which i have, quite comfortably, been traveling with for the past 2 years.

debating whether to replace them with the Sidi Crossfire 3 TA.

sidi.thumb.jpg.9ff3618eb123a7e6d4aa4f9cbf27e287.jpg

also have this pair of Alpinestars Tech 8, which i got as a gift. these are as hard as they are comfortable... the 1st time i put them on, i never managed to shift gears. never wore them again. shame though. love their look.

59f83f4c11be1_alpinestarst8.thumb.jpg.da76249873f4d24defa3e03ddad2bcd6.jpg

and i have a pair of Sidi Adventure 2 for shorter everyday rides to work, etc.

59f843cea5453_sidiadv2.thumb.jpg.e256446a566bb03cc00b96f089c96fd3.jpg

Edited by beemer bunny

Sidi boots are on the thinner side at the instep and toebox, at least from my experience w/ them. So, they tend to be easy to shift with. Unfortunately for me, my feet are just a little too thick heightwise, so when strapped in, they hurt my feet at the instep. Too bad b/c they are such good boots!  I can see how going from Sidi to the Alpinestars might cause some shifting woes. The A* isn't has thin in the toebox. But, it's something that you can adapt to, but it can take a couple of hours.

most people i know take their Sidi boots a size larger than they would with another brand. they do size a little small.

i bought the Crossfire SRS in the size boot i usually take, which is already one size larger than my Converse sneakers.

they fit snuggly, with no pressure points or pain. however, for a truly perfect fit, i probably could have gone with a half size larger. especially in case one day i want to put warmer socks on, for example.

i read that the Crossfire TA is somewhat wider. might be a better fit.

as for the Tech 8... on the 1150, there is no way i'll ever be able to shift the gears. they are just too thick and she still has her original gear lever, which does not allow for much adjustment. and i can't be bothered to change it.

might be able to adjust the gear lever on the 1200 though (she has an aftermarket one). have to check it out.

in the past, whenever i had boots to "break" in, i'd wear them as often as possible, even when not on a bike (or a horse). but even walking is tough. not to mention walking down a staircase :) i didn't even manage to back up the bike while sitting on it with them on. meh.

A* Toucan as a touring boot. What is generally considered to be an "adventure" boot is for me the minimum level of protection to have on the street.

A* Tech 10 (first gen) as adventure boot. Love those. I've been trying for the last 2 years to justify the purchase of a new-gen pair, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the ones I have <_<

This is a very important topic for us adventure motorcyclists. I need to upgrade to a protective hard shell off-road boot as I currently have two sets of adv. class boots. 

Four years ago , I suffered a deer-motorcycle collision and had a broken ankle. Fortunately only bone fractures , no tendon or ligament tears , and healed up with no surgeries/metal implants. I was very lucky as at the time I happened to be wearing only my heavy Chippewa work boots (driving home from a work site).

The protection an off-road boot may have allowed me to walk away uninjured in the foot area. 

...and then there are those of us that have big feets and need a 15 xWide at a minimum.  Only "m/c" designated boot I've found that even comes in that size are Alpinestars 3, and they are not an mx level boot by a long shot.  Even with then because of the heft of a m/c style boot, they are so big that even with all the foot area bike adjustments I've made (adjustable pegs, foot levers, etc.) operating a bike with any pedal dexterity is nearly impossible and often problematic.  I now use non-m/c boots, that fit and feel well are as supportive and strong as possible but not disabling.  The risks are so far worth it.

Edited by elron
1 minute ago, elron said:

...and then there are those of us that have big feets and need a 15 xWide at a minimum.  Only "m/c" designated boot I've found that even comes in that size are Alpinestars 3, and they are not an mx level boot by a long shot.  Even with then because of the heft of a m/c style boot, they are so big that even with all the foot area bike adjustments I've made (adjustable pegs, foot levers, etc.) operating a bike with any pedal dexterity is nearly impossible and often problematic.  I now use non-m/c boots, that fit and feel well are as supportive and strong as possible but not disabling.  The risks are so far worth it.

Is that you? ;) Yep, mfrs don't make what doesn't sell. Or even further, isn't profitable. So, gotta do what you gotta do.:thumbsup:

I run AStars Tech 7 Enduro's for gnarly days and because they felt like slippers, I opted for the AStars Toucan for ADV/Long trips. I've worn both interchangeably as needed
Both fit like dipping your wedding tackle into a fresh apple pie since day one and I've no regrets about protection
Curious to see/hear what you rabble are sporting
~Peter
Tech7Enduro.thumb.PNG.0060e531c2b4a052e033c61d2226cccd.PNG
59f797310b340_ToucanGTX.thumb.PNG.22e06ff58a0f5ac2f55341a25ad6beab.PNG
I have a pair of sidi crossfire 2...use to think they were the best (but pain to put on)
Was handed a pair of tech 7s a few weeks ago (someone ordered a size 14 ,ordered wrong color ,bright white) so i got them...Most comfortable boots ever.
I have a pair of sidi crossfire 2...use to think they were the best (but pain to put on)
Was handed a pair of tech 7s a few weeks ago (someone ordered a size 14 ,ordered wrong color ,bright white) so i got them...Most comfortable boots ever.
Used to full blown race in Tech 7 boots when they were newer. They should be good to most of us in ADV riding.

DSC_2700.jpgcrash.jpg

I've been wearing the Sidi Crossfire 2 SRS and have had zero issues.  With 19" calves they are the ONLY full height boot that will fit.  Feel, shifting, mobility and such have been zero issue.  Long distance walking wouldn't be fun but I wore them for hours while getting drunk and that was okay :lol:

Used to full blown race in Tech 7 boots when they were newer. They should be good to most of us in ADV riding.

DSC_2700.jpg.db5d0726a84d472c762e75cb053bd54f.jpgcrash.jpg.1b604283b81e1cc03239303e059ff571.jpg
That 2nd photo is money!
That 2nd photo is money!
Also why you need good gear!

Like this guy holding on till the end908a.jpg
Also why you need good gear!

Like this guy holding on till the end908a.jpg.0b1dc75c32318531cc6fd957fac447bf.jpg
Never quit opitomized!!!