Yamaha Tenere 700 T7

Just a few thoughts...

here's an interesting post on IG - I am one of the very few owners of a xt660z in the US so I can relate to this a lot ( i only know one other owner) this is a good way to look at this new T7 concept. The XT is a big heavy tall bike weighing only 50lbs less than a F800. 

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_f800gs_Adventure-17.htm

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xt660_tenere 15.htm 

Hopefully, Yamaha has found a way to shed a massive amount of weight on what according to the visual below is a BIGGER bike, which means generally more weight. Before you jump the gun and say - well the T7 has an aluminum gas tank so there's a bunch of weight saved, keep in mind the XT has a plastic tank so virtually zero weight saving. 

T7 bigger motor, usually means more weight?

So, I guess it all comes down to the frame and peripherals, I doubt very much if Yamaha can reduce 54.2lbs off it and minor peripherals to get below the magical 400lb the keyboard jockeys are dreaming of.

I am hoping for the best for Yamaha as this would be my next bike if the weight is right as we know the reliability will be a given...but have they done enough to compete with the Husky 701?

That IG post comparing the T7 and T660 is interesting. The T7 engine has a deep oil pan and thus the whole engine has to be shoved-up high thereby creating a higher seat and handlebar arrangement. Unbiased reviews will be important when discussing how the T7 feels with respect to a possibly higher cg. Really though, the T7 shouldn't be compared to any large-bore single. Having had a 690ER for most of this year, I would not use the two bikes in the same manner. Each has or will have it's own niche with some doing more or less with either.

• Like 1