12 posts in this topic

I'm a "brand ambassador" for SPOT and they basically give me a service plan and devices such as the SPOT Global Phone, SPOT Trace and SPOT Gen3 (I purchased this myself).  I think it's a great thing and have been very happy with all them.

gen3_quickview_lg_holiday.png

The Gen3 is your basic satellite transponder you can activate in an emergency, to let friends/family track where you are, to send an "okay" message or even a custom message like "I'm not injured but need some kind of assistance like a tube, tire, tools, water, food, a ride, etc..."

trace_quickview_lg_holiday.png

The Trace is like a vehicle locator that is affixed to your bike (or other vehicle) and is a way to keep track of where it is should someone try and steal it.

sgp.png

Their SPOT Global Phone is basically that; a satellite phone.  Works great too!  Not sure what they make their batteries from but I charged mine a year and a half ago and it's still fully charged!

They are running a 50% off the Gen3 and Trace products for the holidays.  They even have a rental program if you just want a device for a short period of time.

3 people like this

I have a Spot Gen3 and love it.  My wife no longer wonders where I am.  It gives you a private google map with location pins that send every 10 minutes.  Plus you can send massages to emails or SOS.  I think it about $150/year, worth every cent!

1 person likes this

Im in the same boat.  My riding destinations very often take me into territory with zero cell reception.  With the SPOT, I just hit the OK to let my parole officer know that I made it to camp and she doesn't have to wonder if I arrived safely.  Not to mention the emergency beacon which I hope never to have to use...

2 people like this

I'll rock the boat....I went with the Garmin InReach and have been pleased yet only taken it on one trip thus far.  Regardless of which you get it's a nice peace of mind for not only you but also those that care about you.

1 person likes this

I think inReach is a good product.  @Grabowski and I were involved in a rescue situation in Death Valley and it worked well (DeLorme back then, not Garmin).  

@Getrad628 wrote a positive review for the inReach then completely changed his mind after using it awhile and went for the SPOT.

Competition is good for all of us.

2 people like this

Yea.....I just couldn't justify the money spent. The Garmin was very glitchy and moody to say the least.  Gaia GPS app paired with spot gen3 keeps me safe a does the job. 🤙

Edited by Getrad628
1 person likes this

Thanks for the info.  Very interesting about a positive review then switching to the Spot after extended use.  @Getrad628 I'm very interested to hear more about the reasons to switch as well as the pros and cons between the two after your uses with both.  I don't have much knowledge or use with either and always willing to transition to a better product (if I can afford it!)

1 person likes this

REI has Spot III for $75, and a store associate tells me $75 rebate is occasionally run.

If/when it happens again, please post that here if observed.

1 person likes this

I've been running a SPOT (Gen1 and now Gen3) since 2010.  

I just cancelled my membership yesterday.  I saw the price increasing every year and the functionality is limited.  I figure if I am spending that amount on monitoring, I am going to have 2-way communication.

The SPOT has been flawless.  The Gen3 is great, perfect sized and has never let me down.  I have used it once to let my wife now I was stuck.  This is where it is limited.  I was in the boonies, no cell coverage, and planted the 990 in some 'skeg.  

XXl1_aIrB5JX7olZIBhn1kSlag_2No-WJ9iNM3lF

0uciHPreX-kwbVr9PoeyV9OPxyWBCZ1nyjN6SrIk

I struggled for a long time and then finally hit the button my SPOT I had programmed to say "I'm stuck or my bike broke, but I am ok. Please come get me.".

She got the message, but was an hour from home.  She headed home, and started calling all my buddies and throwing random crap in my truck.  She had no idea how to get to me other than the way points (this is my wife).

I end up getting the bike unstuck, blast to cell coverage and phone her.  She had not left, but was about to attempt to get me.

Fast forward to summer 2017.  A group of us do the CDR from Canada to Mexico and back. We have one fellow go down, break 4 ribs, collapse a lung, etc etc.  We are out of cell coverage in backcountry Montana.  We have 2 SPOTS and an Inreach.  We decide to use the Inreach.  

The 2-way communication sold me on the Inreach.  The GPS coordinates that the emergency services got was about 500m off the actual forestry road we were on, but being able to send and receive messages sorted things out.  Just the peace of mind knowing they received the SOS and their reply to that was so reassuring.  

SPOT informed me that my monitoring would not be $215USD/yr.  When I signed up in 2010 it was $162USD/yr.  

Inreach is more expensive on all accounts, but I know my message is out and I can communicate with the other side.

I'm not slagging SPOT.  I love my device, but as their service cost continues to rise it is pushing me to a provider that actually provides more.

1 person likes this

Spot will soon have out a new two-way satellite communication device with tracking built in called the SPOT X. $249.99

spotx.png

32498168_901368829736_4609321995413225472_n.jpg

• Messaging
  • Tracking
  • Compass
  • Post to Social Media
  • Check-in
  • Illuminated qwerty keyboard
  • 10 day battery life in continuous tracking (10 min interval) mode
  • Alerts search & rescue 24 hours a day
  • Rechargeable lithium battery 
  • lightweight
  • impact resistant/dust proof
  • micro-USB port
  • Each device has its own UNIQUE number so other people can initiate a message--competitor devices do not have unique numbers which means the device user must initiate the conversation
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Looking forward to your review on this one Eric.  I can also help you get lost, broke, or hurt for testing purposes it if you want... 

Edited by greedyg