Johnny Campbell Demonstrates DCT vs Manual on the CRF1000L Africa Twin

• Administrators

Assuming you pick the right gear, a Rekluse will achieve the same result. Still a nice rider aid none the less, especially for long days in the saddle where you must spend your energy wisely. There will always be the purists that want to clutch because they feel more of a sense of accomplishment when riding tougher terrain. Others just want to enjoy the ride and don't feel the need to prove anything, including to themselves. There is absolutely room for DCT in the ADV market. I wonder what the sales ratio is of AT clutch vs. DCT bike? Would be interesting. Eric, I heard you know a guy.... ;)

• Like 4

• Administrators

Yeah that is what I found out at that same rally is that the auto-clutch had me up just about every hill first and with the least amount of assistance when we did that gnarly enduro-cross trail.  Reminded me of how well I did on the 990 after getting the Rekluse and doing Mengel/Goler in Death Valley.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am a novice rider with a DCT. It has greatly accelerated the learning curve. Made learning a big bike easier and more enjoyable. 30 or 40 years ago there was another group of purists quite similar to motorcycle riders. Only they drove cars and trucks. They said automatic transmissions were for sissy drivers that couldn't handle a stick shift. They would never own an automatic. Well 40 years or so later how many of them still have standards? Not many. This will be the destiny of motorcycles too. "Purists" will cling to their clutch lever saying "I'm a better rider because I have a clutch". In some cases (like mister Campbell) they may be better riders. But those with the Automatics will spend more time enjoying the ride. And that is why people will change. It will take time, purists have a hard time letting go of what they know and embracing something new.

I spend a lot of time riding off-road. The DCT allows me to focus on my line choice and the beautiful scenery. No worries about which gear I'm in or what rpm I'm at. The ride is less work, more enjoyment. And in the end that is why we go out for a ride.

p.s. The DCT will still goes plenty fast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @puckstopperinc said:

I am a novice rider with a DCT. It has greatly accelerated the learning curve. Made learning a big bike easier and more enjoyable. 30 or 40 years ago there was another group of purists quite similar to motorcycle riders. Only they drove cars and trucks. They said automatic transmissions were for sissy drivers that couldn't handle a stick shift. They would never own an automatic. Well 40 years or so later how many of them still have standards? Not many. This will be the destiny of motorcycles too. "Purists" will cling to their clutch lever saying "I'm a better rider because I have a clutch". In some cases (like mister Campbell) they may be better riders. But those with the Automatics will spend more time enjoying the ride. And that is why people will change. It will take time, purists have a hard time letting go of what they know and embracing something new.

I spend a lot of time riding off-road. The DCT allows me to focus on my line choice and the beautiful scenery. No worries about which gear I'm in or what rpm I'm at. The ride is less work, more enjoyment. And in the end that is why we go out for a ride.

p.s. The DCT will still goes plenty fast.

Funny thing is, as concerns automatic cars, I am that guy!  I don't own an an auto trans car, but I love my Rekluses, all 3 of them and the left hand brakes too.  In fact, on one bike I have no clutch lever at all.  I think I would like the DCT too, but would prefer to shift myself.  I have no love for manually operating the clutch, when the Rekluse does such a good job of it.

Edited by PeteN95
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, PeteN95 said:

Funny thing is, as concerns automatic cars, I am that guy!  I don't own an an auto trans car, but I love my Rekluses, all 3 of them and the left hand brakes too.  In fact, on one bike I have no clutch lever at all.  I think I would like the DCT too, but would prefer to shift myself.  I have no love for manually operating the clutch, when the Rekluse does such a good job of it.

Another cool thing about the DCT is the paddle shifters. So you can operate the bike in manual mode selecting every gear yourself if you so desire. Hold a gear as long as you want.

• Like 1