Mini Tip Monday from Brake Magazine

Llel Pavey of Brake Magazine has been putting together these nifty "mini tip" videos now for a few weeks and asked me to share them.

Should I?  :lol: 

Llel's dad is Simon Pavey, 10 time Dakar racer and leads a BMW training center in Wales called Off Road Skills and was the guy who trained Charley & Ewan for their two Long Way series and Charley's "Off to Dakar" series.

Well I guess the suspense is killing you so here's a sample of how to to a quick turn or what I've heard called an "elephant turn" for like when you're in Africa or Asia and a huge ass elephant is staring you down and you have to turn around REALLY fast.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

Llel Pavey of Brake Magazine has been putting together these nifty "mini tip" videos now for a few weeks and asked me to share them.

Should I?  :lol: 

Llel's dad is Simon Pavey, 10 time Dakar racer and leads a BMW training center in Wales called Off Road Skills and was the guy who trained Charley & Ewan for their two Long Way series and Charley's "Off to Dakar" series.

Well I guess the suspense is killing you so here's a sample of how to to a quick turn or what I've heard called an "elephant turn" for like when you're in Africa or Asia and a huge ass elephant is staring you down and you have to turn around REALLY fast.

This is a pretty easy one, especially on hard pack w/ loose material on top. But, I usually stay on the bike and pivot round my leg where possible.

• Like 3

Yup, I remember one of my first times on a group ride when I lived down in SoCal I watched Stephanie Townsend do this on her 1200GS! I thought wow! I need to learn that too. I taught myself this in a parking lot. I then took it to the dirt and found it very useful when I find it easier to ride away than swing my leg over. Also I think I saw Gaston Rahier do it on those old Dakar clips. He was about 5’5 & I’m 5’4. Us height challenged folks find it hard to mount up on these big adventure bikes sometimes.
  • Like 1