Lower first and gauges for new 800

Hey everybody,

So although the ST and presumably the Daytona (for MY '18) get SIGNIFICANT changes for the new model year the little Tiger 800 gets no love. Over 200 running changes but NO new engine means Tiger will remain much of a muchness.  Which isn't necessarily bad but sometimes I DO get frustrated at the EU homologations for licensure which limit power. Then again I didn't NEED a hundered and twenty horsepower Tiger when I first bought it like I do now and for me at least Big Kitty is too big and not handy not to mention I prefer chain drive.

But I have to scratch my head at the lower first gear, who needed that?  Are we rock crawling with the thing?  I've scarcely needed the one they provide unless I'm bagged and I even rode it over 200 miles back to the dealership when the gear shift fell off and I was stuck in third.  FIRST?  I can slow speed troll with the best of 'em bagged or unbagged and I can find no reason for that unless maybe I was trying to scale Everest.

The rest appears largely fluff, different fairings, an extra more powerful off-road mode and new fancy color gauges. Changes to the windscreen amount to nothing since 90 percent of us Tiger owners swap ours out anyways and the new headlight design is questionable as well although admitedly more modern.  Finally ditched the off-kilter Triumph badging on the tank like I've done to mine and although I like the new TIGER badged plastics it looks like I can mount them on mine as well which isn't exactly "new" then is it?  Nothing meaningful like the new engine that lives in the ST or Daytona downstroked to make less than 95HP I believe it is?  And again we're stuck with a welded on passenger rearset that results in HUGE losses due to the bikes' relative propensity for rolling leading to the relative insurance claims/losses. Think I'll just buy a Street Triple and build a new frame for it as getting a proper middleweight from Triumph for the US is like pulling teeth. Not that anyone else is doing it either but the limit of 95HP for these right at 500lb bikes here in the land of the free is limiting to say the least.

So any other Tiger 800 riders out there care to chip in?  Will you trade in your Gen I\II Tiger 800 for a new one?  If so, why?