For her third year, prove you'd do it all over again!

Hey all,

Been a while since I participated here but with the release of the new Tiger 800 I thought I might raise my head again and post.

So two days before Thanksgiving in 2015 I was pursuing my great North/South DS route from Tillamook to Seaside and being relatively new to big bikes I had gotten myself into a predicament where my newly acquired Tiger had rolled itself over on top of me in some gravel . Several times in fact while I got the bike turned around which was all that I could do that day as the Sun evaporates early in late November. So I hiked my backside the 12 miles out to get Cell service and call my Wife in my heavy Moto boots cursing every inch of the way while campers in the darkness heard me stumble by in the middle of the night by the light of my iPhone and GPS.

Sheriff got to me about 15 minutes before my Wife at 1 AM, which helped me not at all.

All the preceding is just by way of illustration how I found myself last Summer when the bike hit it's 24,000 mile mark. Tank still rashy I had scraped off the Triumph badging and not much else leaving a somewhat "frumpy" looking Tiger. So right after I rode an SS1K to Missoula and back I decided that for her 24K I would get her a paint job as I never really loved the black anyways. I wanted a blue one but they were sold out when I bought mine so..... long story short Mama's is Caspian Blue, mine was Phantom Black.

I actually started a write up here but lost interest as my business again required major shifts/sacrifices to stay solvent so we do what we do as they say. In July I was recovered enough to reach out to a local paint shop to try to re-color or re paint my poor deflicted Tiger. We went from this:

IMG_0868.JPG.f8ad685a418af348690a07ea129d8f20.JPG

to this:

IMG_0917.JPG.472ebc63e049dcb678a1aa512aa08a78.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG.75e9b1fb3fa2cd90d25b8ee66c0846d1.JPG

I'm debating having the Triumph logos done in either gold with white borders or Black with white outlines. Or maybe none at all like the new Tigers.

What does the collective say?  A bit too purple?  It's called Dark Shadows Blue by PPG and it's a factory color for Ford. My first real dirt bike was a purple Yamaha LT1 and man this color brings back lots of memories for me so I love it but I can see where some might not like it. Obviously this is when I first had this done back in August and my guards are back on as well as some Tech Spec tank grippers to help protect the tank as well as the regular "TigerXCx" shrouds that I am currently running. Total cost was 330.00 dollars including the damage repair where I had chipped the paint through to the primer originally.

All in all I find it to be a reasonable cost to repair some cosmetic damage I had caused and I'm the proud owner of a VERY distinctive Tiger that I can't lose in the parking lot or at the dealership.

IMG_1046.JPG

Edited by Flappy613
needless photos
  • Like 3

Good to have you back, hopefully 100% recovered.

Bike looks nice.  For the logo color, it all depends if you want stand out or subdued.  I like the subdued look so after my initial thought to go with white for the pop of color I would actually do black lettering for the stealth look.

I also thought of doing a “fade” logo ala the original designs as seen here:

http://www.fedrotriple.it/tiger-800-xc-2011-triumph.html

You can also see that CHD used a different line from where Triumph chose on production models for the Triumph logo. It’s one of the prime reasons I ditched mine as I want them centered on the depression in the tank not an arbitrary third line as T chose. I also want the vintage style script but we’ll see when I actually commission the piece. Got a fellow in the neighborhood who does sign painting in addition to his graphics and vinyl business so we’ll see what we see.