AltRider's Fourth Annual Taste of Dakar - Mar 13 2015

TL;DR: OP goes to NV for riding in the desert with Jimmy Lewis, had fun, won prices, met with awesome people, will do it again.

It all started with a web episode of
where I found out that Altrider is organizing this event called “The Taste of Dakar”. 

The ToD (for short) is a weekend adventure in Pahrump, NV where you get the chance to ride anything from sand dunes to stretches of cracked sand beds, dirt trails winding around valleys and everything in between. The GPS-led routes were created by famed Dakar podium holder Jimmy Lewis. Need I say more? That was the selling point. A weekend riding in the desert AND training by Jimmy Lewis? Sign me up!

About a week before the event, Altrider sent me the routes in a .gpx file. The routes are separated to 3 categories: scenic, intermediate and advanced. 

LsyOb6q.jpg

Yellow is the Scenic route, blue the intermediate and red the advanced.

As Jimmy Lewis later described, the scenic route is a road where you can take a 2-whel drive passenger car and if you’re careful, you’ll be able to drive on it. The intermediate, is more for a 2-wheel drive truck as some clearance is required. I honestly can’t remember what he said for the advanced but having ridden some of it, next year I’ll use a Humvee…

Prep work is done, my bikes are ready and I’m so excited! I planned on going with the G450X for the Jimmy Lewis training (he always says that it’s easier to learn on a small bike) and then the R1200GSA for the actual ToD route. The day came, I trailered the bikes, I prepared the car and I’m ready to hit Nevada!

I4J5zGZ.jpg

YhkZuz9.jpg

I arrived there late Thursday afternoon where I met with Eric Hall and Richard DeWolfe. The camp ground is more like an RV park (not a trailer park) with all these crazy setups that cost close to a 5bdr-3bthr house in the country… Really clean, great showers and far away from the city’s light pollution to gaze at the stars on a clear Nevada spring night. We went to a local Mexican place for dinner where we met with Ken Weaver and then got back at the campground to get ready for the training at Jimmy Lewis’.

Day 1 in Nevada. The bikes are off of the trailer and I’m ready to go! I attended the Jimmy Lewis training back in October 2014 where I first met Eric and Richard. This is not an experience you only want to live once! Or twice...

6Wwvnql.jpg

Photo by Eric Hall

dRc66DS.jpg

Photo by Eric Hall

At Jimmy’s training, we were told again the importance of balance and clutch control. No wonder professional dirt bikers have experience with Trial bikes. Maybe, for my next training… One of Jimmy’s tricks, is a simple, DIY balancing board.

q10Va52.jpg

MUggmoq.jpg

One of the funniest exercises and the one Jimmy had us to start with, was standing on the bike, on the pegs, not seating but standing up, while the bike is off the side stand. You think it’s easy? I want to see you trying… 

QTUTeHV.jpg

Photo by Alfonse Palaima - MotoInsider

Here’s a video from Jimmy. 

As we’re going in to the desert and the dry lake bed, Jimmy, his wife Heather and their helpers Scott and that-other-guy-whose-name-I-can’t-remember, began with showing us the drills and I’ll tell you, if you think you can ride, think again…

3KA2ySY.jpg

T7e82cn.jpg

C7VjqE9.jpg

OXNVj6E.jpg

7ne0I2Z.jpg

9emRvPz.jpg

9emRvPz.jpg

5N75g14.jpg

U3G89gC.jpg

• Like 1

As I mentioned, last October I attended the same class with my 1200GSA and it was a completely different experience. Those of you who remember, I had a nemesis hill climb which I tried 7 times with my GSA and couldn't get it. Well, this year, I took my revenge!

bng8vLd.jpg

sPyFNyD.jpg

svrXXAQ.jpg

mXa9wNF.jpg

P14su3u.jpg

Well, almost perfect…

pruKjBH.jpg

As always the training was fantastic and I will go back again as soon as I possibly can. Returned at the campground where Altrider and Jimmy Lewis, had set up a slow race. Which I won the first part of :-)! 

The first part is quite simple, some may think… You’re given 4 bicycle tires (light and soft) and you’re supposed to toss them over the cones. 

jUtRSHF.jpg

FfUOCJo.jpg

Apparently everyone thought that holding the tires with the left hand is the easiest since they would be closer to the cones. I thought differently. I put the tires on my right (throttle) side. Someone said to me: “Put them through the mirror so you can use the throttle”, then I turned to him and said: “Where we’re going we don’t need throttle”. 

iCYEdju.png

I looked at Jimmy’s grin on his face and I knew I was doing the right thing! Basically, all you had to do is use the clutch to control the speed of the bike and then use your right hand to toss the tires. I managed to put 3 out 4 through the cones :P Plus, after that everyone started trying using the same technique! 

The second part was an actual slow-race-obstacle-course:

sVqcoQf.jpg

The rider with the longest time won. Curt, with a KLR won this with 1 minute 40 seconds (or close to something like that), I was second with 1 minute and 24 seconds. Jimmy Lewis, earned the right to show off a bit by completing the course in 2 minutes and 40 seconds… Seriously.

That night I also submitted my name for an Intermediate group. The groups where meant to be no more than 6 riders. I was given a group with two more GSAs and couple of single cylinders. This is one of my biggest pet peeves: riding with people I don’t know. However, I decided that since I don’t have any friends in that event, I may have to leave it to luck. I was actually quite nervous…

The night ended with beer and dinner. 

Day 2 in Nevada and you can sense the excitement in the air! 

zblDMi4.jpg

The bikers are getting ready and all around you see smiling faces. As I’m getting ready to go to the starting line, couple of guys approach me and asked me how much pressure I am going to put to my tires. I told them that I’m only running 4 lower than highway (32/42 so 28/38 for the rally) and I explained that knowing I’m doing the intermediate route, I will have more rocks than sand, therefore, I need to protect my rims. After a few minutes I found out that the two gentlemen who asked my about the tire pressure, Pete and Jeremy, are actually in the same group as I was. I-6. I also met the rest of the riders, Curt, Derek and Kevin. We promptly decided who’s leading and then I asked if everyone had a 1st aid kit. Their response lifted all my concerns. I knew at that moment that regarding the riding level, I’m riding with people I can trust. The next 170 miles are going to be epic!

Started off the camp ground and straight to some hard packed dirt. Quite rocky but nothing a 2WD passenger car can’t handle *grin*. 

gUTKgxy.jpg

Photo by Kevin Ostrom

vS9ArBJ.jpg

Photo by Kevin Ostrom

A few miles down the road, we had our first oopsie. The trail was divided in two. On the left side, hard packed dirt, on the right side, soft loose sand. Jeremy, was riding on the sand and when he realized there was a better path, tried to switch to the left side but hit a curb and that locked his wheel bringing him down. The impact broke the windshield and he had just a few scratches but also hurt his ribs. We took a good rest, made sure he’s capable of riding and then continued the fun.

ESO5DWM.jpg

Photo by Pete

BEVbNhw.jpg

Photo by Pete

xV4em0n.jpg

Photo by Curtis LeBeau

Onxf7kN.jpg

Photo by Curtis LeBeau

On our way, we kinda got lost and took the advanced route right at the power line road… Nothing we couldn’t handle!

CwotiZV.jpg

Photo by Pete

As we’re riding, there’s a KTM 990 rider who joined us. Apparently, his group was stopping every 10 minutes and they were too slow for him. I didn't really feel comfortable, especially when I realized he was riding too close to me. Several times, I had to let him pass through. This is NOT how you’re riding in a group sir. Eventually he got separated and took off ahead of us. But only for a while. A few miles down the road, we found out that he hit a rock and bent his rim because he was running very low pressure. I looked at Jeremy and we pretty much had a secret grin on our faces, not because of the misfortune of our fellow rider but because we knew we made the right choice.

110 miles later, we arrived at the famous (?) Pioneer Saloon for lunch! 

finN0ZL.jpg

Photo by Pete

mVduYvr.jpg

Photo by Pete

After lunch, Jeremy decided he had to ride the highway back to the campground as it appeared he was more injured than he thought. At this time, we still don’t know if it’s a broken rib. I hope not! So the 5 of us now, we’re ready to continue but from the scenic route since we wanted to take it easy. Then our group, was approached by a young gentleman riding a rental GSW. He asked if we were riding the easier route and if he could tag along. I noticed he had street tires, he was wearing tennis shoes, jeans and a hoodie. At first I agreed and started riding but for the next mile, all I could think was him riding a challenging terrain with street tires and not the appropriate gear.

As the group leader, I took the hard decision and asked him to leave our group. At first I felt terrible for leaving a fellow biker behind but my thought process was that I will not risk myself and/or my group members. I explained to him that we feel his luck of appropriate gear and tires, will compromise our safety and cannot be held reliable if something happens to him. I still feel I did the right thing.

The rest of the ride was phenomenal! Easy to intermediate paths, fantastic views and so much fun!

B5xGrGq.jpg

Photo by Pete

x6OswTh.jpg

Photo by Pete

8YjTMrz.jpg

Photo by Pete

Back at the campground, some person thought that riding bikes in the desert is not crazy enough and started demonstrating his flying skills!

o4JfAXw.jpg

As we’re getting ready for the dinner, I had the pleasure of meeting two great people! Let’s start with GS Giant #1, Joshua Farnsworth, the man responsible for our “little” Giant group :D

gRISMFa.jpg

And then, I met with Erez Avramov. Erez, is trying to be the first amputee who will ride the Dakar Rally. Need I say more? Check his progress here

RbES6OD.jpg

What an inspiration and honor meeting him! I also need to mention that Jimmy Lewis will be personally training Erez for the Dakar. This is crazy! Jimmy would never do a 1:1 unless he really saw something in him. I am so jealous!!

Dinner time with award presentations! Apparently, I won the award for best attitude together with the slow ride…  My price was a 3-day bike rental from MotoQuest. 

The night ended with beer and live music!

dYR34lF.jpg

The new day came with nothing but amazing experiences! And I'm ready to leave. The next Taste of Dakar is less than a year away!

7pBYIgn.jpg

Bottom line, what I posted a few days ago on Facebook… As I'm finishing this trip report, all I can think is the fact I met people I'll ride to hell and back with. 

Derek, Kevin, Curt, Jeremy and Pete, it’s you I’m talking about! I’m looking forward our new I-6 adventure! Ride on brothers!

Once again, I want to quote Ted Simon: "Motorcycles have put me in touch with wonderful people, as a result of that I have an elevated idea about how good everybody in the world is."

Thank you Altrider and Jimmy Lewis! See you next year!

Edited by DimitriT
  • Like 3

• Administrators

2015%2F03%2FLEAD-ToDakar_Jesse-3604.jpg

Jesse Kiser of Ride Apart rode a KLR with us.  That bike is quite impressive!  He had no issue keeping up or managing in a variety of conditions.  I was blasting my way back from Pahrump down to Baker and I see this bike hugging behind me the whole way.  I stop in Baker and it's Jesse on that KLR :)

Here's a great story on it he just published.

Favorite parts:

I was to leave in the morning with photographer Alfonse Palaima, better known as Fonzie from MotoInsider, Andy Davidson, the British journalist from UK’s Motorcycle News, and Eric Hall, Senior Editor of XLADV—the big bike version to Thumper Talk an ADV Forum—and his friend Rich DeWolfe.

and

All tours were self guided and everyone there was under the same like-minded attitude towards riding: just ride. No drama, no BS, no wining and no waiting—we just rode until we couldn't ride anymore. It was motorcycling in it’s purest form.

ToDakar_Jesse-3580.jpg

• Like 1

All tours were self guided and everyone there was under the same like-minded attitude towards riding: just ride. No drama, no BS, no wining and no waiting—we just rode until we couldn't ride anymore. It was motorcycling in it’s purest form.

This.

Great RR Eric/Dimitri wish I could have been there.  Wondering if Jimmy included that crazy deep wash up to the tunnel we did in our October class?  Thanks for the photos.  Five days in Death Valley next week :)

• Like 1

Great RR Eric/Dimitri wish I could have been there.  Wondering if Jimmy included that crazy deep wash up to the tunnel we did in our October class?  Thanks for the photos.  Five days in Death Valley next week :)

He didn't because of the group's dynamic. But I hear it's a standard route now in every weekend class. I'm going there again, hopefully I won't have to get rescued this time! Haha!

What a great event that was!

I've learned about ToD from Eric Hall and decided to join in the fun after watching his movies. 

As I was looking for more stuff about I watched Keith's 2013 Tod as well as Brad's last years great report.

When I booked it I was a little worried about weather: very cold in 2013 and cold rain in 2014 so I chickened out and booked a hotel. Now, obviously, I regret. Fortunately I booked 2 nights only so was able to spent my 3rd at the resort.

I took Jimmy's Friday class and learned what I am doing wrong and where I have to put my efforts to improve my riding. Great class even though I was dead tired due to the hot sun :) Amongst many other things Jimmy showed us what to do when you approach almost invisible rut going across the road. I am even happy I tried to ride the sand patch and got scolded by Jimmy for doing it 100% wrong. That was a good lesson too. Gravel pit after lunch was a great lesson in bike handling as well.

gallery_22_42_79274.jpggallery_22_42_64975.jpggallery_22_42_9419.jpg

The same day I met Keith, Tod and Charlie. When I was looking for a place for my tent they right away offered a spot by their RV which I happily took.

We have decided to join the same Intermediate group I4. 

gallery_22_42_120168.jpg

The next morning we got to the staging area where we were joined by Tony. It was way late when we left as we were delayed by late breakfast. Unfortunately it turned out our GPS skills needed improving.

After a few wrong turns I found myself alone on the first part of the intermediate course. It didn't look to challenging, therefore made decision to ride alone. I heard in my head Jimmy's warning to be prepared for  all kinds of ruts and road damage. I was riding very defensively and got through any of them with ease. At some point there was deep sand patch which was a little hard to ride on but I did OK and at the end encountered riders from I8 with Chris from Rawhyde as a leader. He had no problem me joining them.

For next miles it was just fun riding in a group. I was staying way back due to enormous dust clouds kicked by 30+ bikes.I guess a couple of dirt bike riders wanted to show off when they passed me spraying me with stones. Not cool, really.

Finally we got to the T section in the road and I guess everybody's GPS skills were put to test. As I was using OsmAND+ on my phone I had no problem following tracks. After 10 minutes I've decided to move on and wait for a group later. Once i started riding it felt so good riding first with no dust I stopped only at the shortcut to lunch to show others where to turn.

When I was leaving  forgot to put my backpack on my... back.  I realized that about 40 miles later just before Pioneer Saloon. Talked to Jimmy about it just in case somebody picked it up. Funny thing was I had there my registration so there was no question who it belongs too even it was found a few days later... and I had my SPOT but TURNED OFF.... Mostly I was angry at myself coz I did the same thing a few months earlier in Death Valley but my friend behind me saw it falling.

gallery_22_42_1957201.png

Anyway, after great lunch off we went and almost immediately started having GPS issues. Finally we got to the section of the road where you had to climb pretty rough patch. I think Keith on his KTM went first than it was me. There were two pick ups there and quite a few people with cameras which was strange. As I was closing I saw a dirt bike coming down opposite direction. Once he passed I started when i got through a small rough patch and looked up I all of the sudden saw a big, blue GS going down at me. Got spooked and just dropped my bike right there. It turns out it was Altrider's Jeremy who was very apologetic about that and helped me right my bike up and turned around as I simply got scared of that hill. I need more experience before I attempt it again :)

Keith came down and two of us rode back to the easy/intermediate path. We followed it for a few miles when Keith stopped as he was looking for something more challenging. We turned back and went on Intermediate  road but got stopped by a steep hill which I decided to pass on.

Keith caught a ride with some others riders and I was alone again which was fine as there were many riders on the road. I rejoined an easy road, pass some riders and looked at my watch, decided had enough time to go back to the place where i think I lost my back pack. I did just that but my back pack wasn't there. The good thing about was that I rode with no dust! After getting back I took the Easy road again. This was just flying fast standing, sitting. Simply fun.

At some point I passed some riders coming off a power line road. I was thinking about joining them but they waved my off so i continued. Got to the Highway 160 where track splits: either hwy or power line. i took power line which was very, very easy until 300 ft from the end when it turned into deeps gravel wash. Somehow made it through and went to Lovell Cyn. on pavement. 

At the end I took a beautiful dirt road going up, through the mountains towards Pahrump. As i was crossing to the trout Cyn there was quite a bit of snow which made it so much more interesting. Going down I noticed quite a bit of car and bike traffic so I was going quite slow and keeping to the right side enjoying the evening views.

All of the sudden almost at the end of that road I saw a dirt bike with high speed just a few feet in front of me. He passed a quad in  the corner going way too fast and there was no way he could went back to his lane so he hit me hard. I remember thinking "Oh shit, this is gonna be bad". The next thing I remember is falling on top of his bike and feeling tremendous pressure in my knee. Fortunately it stopped before it broke or so i thought. We checked ourselves for major injuries and they were none. WE GOT LUCKY!!! 

I believe now I was in shock after this so with help of that dirt rider ( he was very apologetic acknowledging his fault)  untangled our bikes, he helped me to get on mine, it started so I said "Bye" and road off to the camp which was about 15 minutes away. 

My great spirits even after this unfortunate event weren't dampened at all even more so when Jimmy told me at dinner that my backpack is with Altrider! Somebody found it and brought it back to the camp. "Thank you" to that "somebody"!

Then there were drinks, live band etc. Great conclusion to a great event!

I went home early next morning and after uneventful 280 miles got safely home.

PS.

It turns out I did break something: I have a small fracture in my left tibial plateau... which is pretty much a knee.

Edited by ertes
  • Like 3

TOD was my first ever group ride.  The most I have ever road with was two others in the past.  That was on my XR650L in a past life.  Last year I had signed up for the TOD but had to bail out due to a back injury.  Altrider was nice enough to refund the price with no problem.  

I live 6 hours from Pahrump, so I towed my F800GSA up with way too much stuff than I actually needed.  I also do not have good compact camping gear, yet!

I knew no one at the event, and being introverted its kinda scary for me to show up to large group settings.  I grabbed an empty campsite, introduced myself to my neighbor and promptly borrowed his hatchet to put my tent stakes in that incredibly hard ground.  From then on we signed up to be in the same group. 

The next day after a late breakfast, we met up with the guys who signed in under our group.  After much delays at getting organized and figuring out who can read their GPS, we finally set out for the intermediate course.  It didn't seem like we were one mile in and there was this gnarly washout at the bottom of a small hill that claimed a rider behind me.  I didn't know it happened as our group got mixed with a slower group and I couldn't make out who was still behind me.  A bunch of us got to pavement and waited and here came Jimmy.  The theme for the morning was "keep moving". Jimmy was herding us like cats to our lunch stop.  

Jimmy gave us a short cut down some pavement to re-catch the route.  It seemed we were doing 75 to 85 mph on this paved road and Jimmy still beat us to our exit back on the route.  That guy is amazing.  

The morning was still pretty uneventful after that.  Just missing our turn along the fence and running into a pack that did the same thing.  We headed up the mountain on the scenic route cut off to the saloon.  I went first and passed another group on the way up.  I used this time to stop and pull out my camera and get pictures of our group and another as they passed by.  I was really hoping to take more pictures, but our cat herder keep us moving.  

tod1.JPG

tod2.JPG

All my pictures can be seen here: https://plus.google.com/112567268934223529295/posts/EcWgmT68Xky   Just noticed some of my bad shots are there too.  

Lunch was perfect!  Simple and delicious.  If you were vegetarian, you missed out!  :)

After lunch our group headed out on the intermediate route to only run in to this hill that stopped our group.  Here is a video posted by Jean Delgado on Facebook of the hill.  There were people waiting there to take pictures and help out if needed.  

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204857986381965

After watching our leader dump his 1200GS on the first bump and the other half of our group not making to the hill in the sand, the group decided to turn around.  

The scenic route was pretty dusty the rest of the way till the mountain pass.  Not much to see, just drone on.   My camp neighbor James was starting to regret not getting fuel as his GS said it has 25 miles to empty at the base of the mountain pass.  (note to self, need a siphon kit to carry with my 800GSA, I had plenty of fuel)  At the start of the dirt part of the mountain pass we met up with Jimmy's wife and her group.  Someone needed engine oil to keep going and luckily, someone had some.  There were also a few people with fuel packs so James would be OK if he ran out.   It just happened the guy from BMW was there and I asked him if he knew how far the 1200GS goes when it says Zero miles left. His response was "Last year I got to the point where the bike said Your &%$#@!ed and it went another 20 miles".  

Up the hill into the cooler weather doing the switch back was my favorite part of the ride.  I almost wished I had wore my jacket, almost.  Personally, I tried to hit every bit of snow I could get my tires in.  It never snows in Yuma.  On the way down I  ran up on a young girl on a 125cc or smaller.  I think she might have freaked a few people out due to her speed.

I was amazed to see FOR SALE signs way out there.  I was thinking if I could handle a commute down this road everyday to get to work.  I think I could, but the rest of my family would stop being my family if I did that too them.  

So to end the trip, out of the mountains I came and ran into Jimmy's wife and her group again.  I lost James somewhere and found out later he took a mild spill.  I blasted down the gravel road towards the pavement at about 70mph airing out and blowing the dust off me.  When I got to the pavement, I didn't want it to end, so I started to follow the rocky powerline path next to the highway.  I road the path till my right arm was mush (i was nursing tennis elbow this trip).  I cut back to the highway and headed to the gas station to see how much fuel I had left.  

A quick fill up and the bike just took 4 gallons. The GS had plenty of fuel for another 80 to 100 miles.  

So I was pretty much exhausted after that ride.  The band was awesome, but I didn't have the energy to hang out and watch them till 10 pm.  

The next day was Jimmy's class.  If you have not taken it, its well worth it.  And the pizza at lunch was awesome.  

Hope to see you guys next year.   

-Jason

• Like 1

Good report, glad you looked and decided to hang back.  Maybe next year you will get some more practice under your belt and be ready to rock the intermediate course like it was your B!%H!!

Rather than worry about a siphon kit, a single clear tube from Home Depot will help with a mouth siphon, or in a pinch pull the hose off your camelback and use it.  Suck till it almost hits your lips, then lower it below gas tank level you are pulling from and let gravity do the work.  You can always siphon into an empty bottle or just use a berm/ridge/rock to elevate the source bike higher than the empty bike.

Hope to see you next year!