Baja New Years 2017

• Administrators

In San Felipe tonight with Kirk, Sherrie, Dustin and Mike. No pics from me today but lots of video later.

Compadre was super fast today but sadly I hit a hawk. He eventually flew away but I really nailed him and there was blood and my bike.

We made good time and had lunch in Valle de Trinidad then did salada diablo and Sherrie got stuck pretty good in the sand.

Tomorrow is Gonzaga but no signal or wi-fi there.

• Like 5

• Administrators

Amazing day yesterday as we found a new route filled with adventure. We took this one amazing two track west to the coast Nd had to pay this nice farmer $5/bike to cross his ranch . So worth it though.

Then we crossed some slick snot tidal flat and I high sided cracking a rib and bruising each leg. On my way home early now but they are continuing.

Mike said we’d ridden 190 miles and I knew we had about another 50 so I bought some gas from a fisherman but it turns out Mike was looking at how many miles remained on his tank of gas. The whole thing was about 180 Miles. Beautiful though.

IMG_2577.JPG

• Like 3

What!

You hid that detail of breaking a rib in this post. Even with IG, I didn't catch this. Dude, I'm sure you are coping as best as possible. Being down there I have no idea what medical help is available. For me, it would be a "suck-it-up-and-get-back" event. My suspicion is this is exactly what you are doing. Keep us posted.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:23 PM, Eric Hall said:

Amazing day yesterday as we found a new route filled with adventure. We took this one amazing two track west to the coast Nd had to pay this nice farmer $5/bike to cross his ranch emoji23.png. So worth it though.

Then we crossed some slick snot tidal flat and I high sided cracking a rib and bruising each leg. On my way home early now but they are continuing.

Mike said we’d ridden 190 miles and I knew we had about another 50 so I bought some gas from a fisherman but it turns out Mike was looking at how many miles remained on his tank of gas. The whole thing was about 180 Miles. Beautiful though.

IMG_2577.JPG

Edited by rider_marc
  • Like 2

• Administrators

This was just a ride I put together for five of us. I do it it’s about every year at this time.

I can’t tell you enough how great it is to get to ride with this group. I’ve ridden it with @mthomasadv many times and this year we got to do it with @Kirk Young, @Sherrie Young and Dustin. They are really good people and fantastic riders.

As for the ribs, I spent yesterday in a ton of pain just lying on the couch and then realized I was also still very dehydrated. That day we rode and we got back after dark had us getting dinner right away where I had two beers (not helping). Then I realized all the water immediately handy was the half liter bottle in the room. The next morning I had coffee but that’s a diuretic then got only two liters for my ride home. Once I caught up with fluids yesterday I felt a lot more alert.

Did I mention the fork seal failure? I hit the military checkpoint north of El Rosario and the soldier pointed out my left front caliper was “leaking” so I got to San Quintin and set about to get that fixed. I know Poncho who lives there but he was out riding that day (on his way to Cataviña actually) so I stopped at a moto repair place and upon closer inspection realized my left fork seal failed and the oil was leaking out. I was too banged up to fix it there so I pushed on and made the 7 hour ride home. I will fix it next weekend as I’m taking my kids to AZ tomorrow for a few days.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Lost my passport and GPS!  I had the GPS in the bracket with a rubber band over it as well as a ziptie and it came off on that damn dirt road from Coco's to the highway that is so notorious.  Funny thing is that it came off on that road once before but when I went back to look, I found it!  Not this time.  RIP Garmin 60Csx.

• Like 1

• Administrators

We had a bit of drama with the reservations at both Alfonsina's and at Cataviña.  We got to Alfonsina's and they said "no, we had you down for LAST night and we have no rooms left."  Um, no.  I PRE-PAID $200 a MONTH ago!  I found the email and sure enough it says the 27th (not the 26th).  They stuffed 5 of us in one room.  I suspect they were just overbooking to maximize their profits.

Then the next night at Cataviña they said they had no record of my reservation even though I called a month before (twice) to confirm.  Didn't matter though since they had a suite with 5 beds and two bathrooms so it all worked out fine.  Just $88 too!

• Like 2

• Administrators

Every time I've gone to Baja before, I've set out to bring only riders whom I thought were really "up for it" or whatever that means.  This is even despite some of the people I've agreed to take! lol.  There have been a few exceptions but they've proved why that is so.  Baja isn't for sissies, or I should say Baja doesn't leave a lot of room for things going wrong.  There's no 911 you can call.  There's not a lot of gas to be had.  The people are SUPER nice but there's the language barrier too.  The distances are sometimes intimidating.  The mindset of others coming (and paying) is kind of like "I want to go with people who know their stuff so the drama is at a minimum."  That's why I don't advertise the ride; it's kind of invitation only.  That being said, I think you underestimate your own riding abilities.  I've seen you ride just fine and think you'd do great down there.

• Like 1