Honda XR650R?

I'm not sure if my XRR fits the category, but she is my current Adventure bike.  I use it mostly for single day outings and prefer to play race on fireroads, but it will also handle tight single track, though it is more work than my KTM 250.  It is plated and I think it is the best big dual sport combination of light weight, good power, and reliability.  It has mild engine mods and put down about 52HP at the rear wheel.  I also have a Rekluse auto clutch and rear hand brake, which I think are some of the greatest accessories available.

I also own a Suzuki SV1000 street bike, but am looking to trade for a large/midsize ADV bike.  I am looking forward to seeing the new Honda 1000 twin and hoping Yamaha release a Tenere based on the FZ-07 engine.  Nothing currently available really lights my fire?!  Here is a pic of my XRR:

IMG_0711_zpsd1662332.jpg

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

I really miss the one I had! It was stolen from the back of my truck when I still lived in Phoenix. enjoy, and I wish I had it still for weekend trips etc. Too bad Commifornia makes it impossible to register one here now if it's not already plated.

CIMG0323.jpg

P1010200.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I thought Big Red Pig was reserved for the L series? The L definitely has a CV carb, but I'm pretty sure the R has a round-slide pumper carb. The two bikes can't really be put in the same class. The R is a much more formidable beast than the L is. Regardless...I love my 650L, best bike I've owned! With a few basic mods you can start to narrow the gap between the two models considerably. 

• Like 1

I thought Big Red Pig was reserved for the L series? The L definitely has a CV carb, but I'm pretty sure the R has a round-slide pumper carb. The two bikes can't really be put in the same class. The R is a much more formidable beast than the L is. Regardless...I love my 650L, best bike I've owned! With a few basic mods you can start to narrow the gap between the two models considerably. 

While the R is a much more go fast oriented bike the carb is not a pumper :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: although I would probably have crashed mine a LOT more if it were.  you can retrofit a pumper type carb with some searching though. Edlebrock makes one for this bike, Mikuni has a pumper through XRs only, and a few other bikes can be swapped if you want the pumper.

more info from "that adv site" http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/xr650r-mikuni-tm40-or-edelbrock.407222/

damn now this has me thinking about a TM40 when I rebuild the engine on mine.  Wife still thinks this is a cheap fun play bike  🙄

Ah, cool. Yeah I knew there were a bunch of pumper carb conversion options out there, I always thought they were directed toward the L though. I had looked up the parts diagram for the stock R carb and thought I saw a pumper there, but I guess I was mistaken. I'd love to put a flat-slide pumper on my L but just can't justify it at the moment, there are other more important things to put my money into...like more gas and fresh tires :)

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...