New From Oregon, My Neighbor Referred me

So I have met this guy once or twice that lives down the street from me.  I think he has a couple of Triumph Tigers, but it has been a few months since I last talked to him.
Long story short, he pointed me to this site and told me it is where the cool kids hangout.

A little about me,

I am from Portland, Oregon, and ride a KTM 1290 SAR.  I have a good amount of road riding/ racing under my belt, but am still pretty new to the ADV side of riding.  In 2016 I decided that I really wanted to learn to ride ADV bikes so that I could eventually do a trip to South America, and maybe other parts of the world as well.  I wasn't sure exactly which bike I wanted, but I was working for BMW and have always loved bmw bikes, so I bought an R1200GS to learn on.

The learning curve was pretty steep.  I threw some altrider crash bars on the bike and decided that anything that happened to the bike would be considered a part of the bike's destiny, and my learning experience.  I took the bike to Browns Camp with the Anakee 3 tires and although it was a slippery mess, I was able to get around ok.  I got a lot of funny looks riding that big bike through the single track trails in the Tillamook forest, but I really had a good time (even at 3mph all day long).  The bike fell over a few times, but I figured out how to pick it back up, and I just kept on going. I repeated these trips to Browns Camp 3-4 times until I felt like I had a better grip of how to ride the iron giant through the woods.  I also enlisted the help of Anakee Wild tires for subsequent trips, and felt the grip difference right away. 

During the summer of 2017, after a full year of sort of learning to ride the big GS through the dirt, I decided to tackle the WA and ID Backcountry Discovery Routes with my dad and two brothers.  Three of the 4 of us were on big heavy GS's, while my younger brother took a Honda 650.  The ride was challenging for four novices stumbling through the woods, but we worked together and had an incredible time.  During the trip my bike took a couple of hard falls though, and when I finished, I decided I wanted to sell the bike and try something new. 

The GS sold within a week or so of listing, even with some light damage from tumbling down a couple of logging roads on the WABDR.  With the bike sold, I was onto my next bike, the 2017 KTM 1090R.  I chose the 1090R because it was a nice simple ADV bike with a lot of power, and slightly less weight than the Africa Twin or BMW R1200GS.  The bike was a little tall for me, but I knew that I would eventually get used to it.  I really enjoyed the KTM as it felt a bit more dirt oriented than the GS did as well.

[IMG]

After months of planning, I decided to quit my job and ride to Argentina in October of 2017.  The ride went well, but I only made it as far as Nicaragua before having an accident that would end my trip very prematurely.  

Last week I picked up a brand new 2017 KTM 1290 SAR for less than I paid for the 1090R new.  I already put my parts from the 1090 on her, and even got in a nice ride on Monday!

Eventually I will make another run at South America, but for now I need to just get local rides, camping trips, and money saving done :) 

I look forward to meeting you all!

-Tanuki

E9DEA3E7-93BF-41AD-A54C-C4AF3F64F8BA.jpg

1.jpg

IMG_8410.JPG

IMG_8652.JPG

Edited by TanukiPDX
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

Welcome Tanuki!  I definitely recognize that 1090 wrap!  Ive seen it on IG a few times and I think I might have reposted it once.   Your travels are impressive!  You're doing it right ;)

Oh what is your IG name?  Interesting indeed. 

2 hours ago, MtnRider said:

Welcome and great intro as well as pictures!!!!

I just got back from South America (Chile and Argentina).  Feel free to holler if you have any questions.  I look forward to riding those BDW's you've done too.

Sam

Awesome!  I bet you had the time of your life!  I cant wait to get down there!

50 minutes ago, greedyg said:

Welcome to the cool kid forum Tanuki! B). I laughed out loud when I read, "so I bought an R1200GS to learn on"...  I'll be on the WABDR this summer. 

Glad to have you aboard 

Lol, when people ask how i got the gs up some trails or remote as I have, I always respond "It is a lot easier on a GS than on an R1."

• Like 3

Hi Tanuki,

See, What’d I tell Ya? Great bunch of folks and far more “focused” if you wil than the “other” adv forum. I haven’t been posting much myself due to my annual licensing taking place any day and having had two rather spectacular crashes riding with the Westside crew back in late December. But my Tiger is back in order (and back from paint!) with only a sacked clutch needing attention so I’ll soon be out and about again.

See ya on the trails.......

Rick (Flappy)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MtnRider said:

South America was "interesting" but the biggest surprise was the intense wind for days.  Here is a site that was shared with me while down there:  https://es.windfinder.com/#4/-33.4681/-50.8887

What is your IG so I can follow you as well if I'm not already.

I have two (or 5), but 2 that are relevant:

@tanukiart
@pdxrid3r 

• Like 1