Hello from Nevada

Hi there! I've been quietly watching the forums and Instagram for a few months now. My name is Emily, and I live in the glorious glitter and shame that is Las Vegas.

I've been riding since 2007. My first bike was an '06 Suzuki SV650s which became my only transportation for 5 of the 8 years I had her. I went bikeless for a few years (which obviously ruined my health and happiness), so I went out and bought a slightly-used '17 Triumph Tiger 800 XCA in late 2017. I had been looking at joining the ADV community for a while and specifically the Tiger, but I was gun-shy about about being hardcore enough. I also prefer having both feet on the ground, but I'm getting used to the good ol' Captain Morgan approach. So far any drops I've had have been the result of putting one of the wrong feet down, so I just generally try not to stop. :P

I got lucky in that my tigger already had Barkbuster handguards and Triumph panniers. So far I've added or am waiting on the following:

• Continental TKC80s
  • Rox Risers
  • AltRider Crashbars
  • AltRider Headlight Guard
  • RAM Phone Mount (because how else will I find my way to Starbucks?)
  • Stickers! (+5hp of course)

So far I've only gone on 3 dirt rides and tooled around town (I let the stock Battle Wings hold me back after the first 2 dirt trails). I'm attending RawHyde's Level 1: Intro To Adventure Camp on the 23rd, so hopefully I'll have more confidence to adventure harder and more frequently!

Caliente Backroads.jpg

Dirt Nap.jpg

• Like 9

Welcome to the club! 👍

Love that first pic.

The Rawhyde class is a good one.  You will no doubt leave there with a ton more confidence.  After the dust settles from that experience, check out Jimmy Lewis Off-road just around the corner from you in Pahrump.  Fantastic skills can be gained there directly from an off-road legend himself.  I've experienced both Rawhyde & JL classes with my favorite being Jimmy's class.  It's a bit more spartan but the technical details exercised will blow you away.

Good luck and don't be a stranger!

-Greg

• Like 2

Oh? I'm bringing the Tigger so it was less. I'm also going to Big Bikes in Baja directly after class. I didn't hear about JL until after. Ideally I would have done that one first and then built upon it with RawHyde, or maybe it will feel the other way around? I'm bringing some cameras and whatnot too so I can share with the class. :) 

I'm also planning on Taste of Dakar and still need to squeeze a warm water scuba dive somewhere in this year. My itinerary is bigger than my bank account. This might be the part where I end up on Las Vegas Boulevard in leopard print and a pink mini skirt.

• Like 2

Hmmmm.... sounds interesting... ;)

Good thing to take all the training you can, especially since you do have a BIG bike. Pretty brave to start out in the dirt on one.

Might be worth it to spend some of that dough on a beater dualsport to practice offroading skills.

But that's just an idea.

Cheers Em!

• Like 1