Baja Rally 2018

• Administrators

Anyone up for the Baja Rally this year?  I may do it again if I can get a small bike to do it on.  There is one mfg who says they're willing to help me out on that front so I'll talk more about it when I'm sure it's going to happen.  I think @GB. is doing it this year too?  I certainly hope so.

There's some interesting news out recently that the new route will be more a a Dakar-like loop encompassing more of Baja.  This isn't the actual course but an approximation of just service roads that connect these bivouacs: Ensenada, Las Cañadas, Cataviña, San Felipe, San Felipe, Ensenada.

screen-shot-2018-02-20-at-11-27-43-am_orig.png

• Like 3

I'm in for sure albeit I've not ponied-up the entrance fees yet as I've got bugger-all sorted for race help and still debating on 950 or 500. Training on the 950 felt easy enough in Baja Rally race school, but after racing the big girl  a couple of weeks back, i's a beast to consider for several days straight in race mode..TBD.

Would be great to get you back out there Eric and frankly would selfishly squash some of my anxiety but i get that you've attempted it already and may not want to repeat.

I've been in the saddle every week-end racing the 250 smoker and the 950 for the past month and working out on the Peloton fancy-ass stationary bike i treated wifey and I too over he holidays so I'm starting to see/feel dividends from it and the rower a couple of months into it now.

My biggest issue (and those who know me will gladly attest), I LOVE to ride but I can't wrench for beans. I mean simple stuff is doable and will def need more practice pre Baja but the thought of needing a pit crew seems daunting.

I may just be a twat an enter-in Malle Moto class on a wing and a prayer just for the hell of it.

I've got time but this is what keeps me up at night ;)

~ Cheers Peter

Edited by GB.
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Colton Udall's going to race Baja Rally

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 12.07.23 PM.png

Photo Credit: Trystan Guard

Colton Udall Enters BAJA RALLY 2018
5 Time Baja Champ to Make Rally Debut at BAJA RALLY

ENSEANDA BAJA CA MEXICO-Bajarallymoto.com and Upshift Online announced today that former Honda pilot and multi-time SCORE Motorcycle Champion Colton Udall has entered to compete in the upcoming BAJA RALLY Presented by Rally Comp this October 8-13. This will be Udall’s first entry in a professional rally raid competition but he is no stranger to road book navigation, or to the podium in Baja CA. UpShift Online endorsed Udall’s entry to BAJA RALLY 2018 by selecting him from a small handful of candidates and sending a small team of journalists to cover the event and highlighting Udall’s rally debut.

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 12.07.32 PM.png

Udall described his anticipation with excitement when he got tapped by Upshift Online as their rider of record for the media project.

"I’ve spent the past few years dreaming about racing the Baja Rally”, Udall explains, “Now in 2018, I will have my first chance. I’m excited to test both my mind and body while navigating the grueling Baja stages. This Baja Rally will be the first of many and I am excited for the challenge”

BAJA RALLY chairman Scotty Breauxman Bloom said that Udall has always been on his radar as an ambassador candidate for rally sports and off road, something of a hunch that he sensed early on.

“I’ve been following Colton's career since his first Baja 1000 in 2007”, explains BAJA RALLY chairman Scotty Bloom, “Since then, I’ve watched his big wins and a few of his major setbacks. But the way he handles adversity with dignity demonstrates the characteristics needed to manage a rally attempt.  This is a great time for Colton to graduate to this higher level and eventually to the DAKAR or Africa Eco Race.”

Beginning in 2008, Colton Udall got his first chance with Johnny Campbell at American Honda and eventually JCR racing. Within 2 years he started winning in SCORE with his team mate, the late Jeff OX Kargola. Despite being the 1x plate holder In 2014, a shakeup at JCR racing found Udall and then teammate Mark Samuels without a team sponsor. Immediately, the 2 formed OX Motorsports and spent the next 3 years tackling championships on a non-factory team. After the the last Baja 1000 in Nov 2017, OX disbanded as Udall and Samuels went their separate ways. Now married with a young son and mostly recovered from back surgery, Udall has set his sights on a career in rally and will officially make his first start this October 9 for the prologue stage at Las Cañadas Campground just outside of Ensenada. 

Upshift Online will be following Udall with special access to be embedded into the stages to capture images of the top-runners as they weave through nearly 1000 miles of stages over 5 days. 

About BAJA RALLY
The 6 year old BAJA RALLY is a navigation-based, competitive motorsports race taking place each fall in the Mexican State of Baja CA. Completely unique from traditional off road races, the BAJA RALLY is considered safer and less impactful on the environment than the BAJA 1000 or BAJA 500. In 2018, BAJA RALLY filed the “first of its kind” Manifestacion Impacto Ambiental (MIA) with the Mexican Federal Regulator SEMARNAT. This environmental impact study is the first scientifically administered study to measure the impacts of off road activity in the nationally protected region known as the Valle de Los Cirios. For more information about BAJA RALLY and BAJA RALLY SCHOOL visit www.bajarallymoto.com

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Baja Rally is underway! Skyler Howe’s won both the prologue as well as yesterday’s SS1.

Todd Zacker is the lone Adv entrant on his KTM 1090 and appears to be doing well.

This is Colton Udall’s first time and he’s doing very well, although he’s on a 450 and I thought he was going to be racing the Africa Twin.

prologue results

IMG_3115.JPG

Here’s SS1 results

Not sure what happened to my buddy Kent Choma though. Doesn’t show him finishing SS1.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Final:

Tough race this year with the hurricane. Garrett Poucher said he “lost his focus” and went off track which says a lot because he’s such a great navigator and still finished well.

Skyler wins it all (of course). Can’t wait to see he and Garrett go to Dakar and do well.

Scotty Bright finished 10th which tells you how tough this year was. Even Rick Hatswell finished 20th and he’s a machine.

Our sole xladv brother Todd Zacker finished 29th which is still respectable. I noticed he replaced his front tire after knobs were coming off. Not sure why. He was running GoldenTyre’s.
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...