Hey all, 

A good buddy of mine owns Wild Ass Air Cushions - a company offering an air cell seat pad to the motorcycling community designed to eliminate pressure points while on long rides. 

I don't work for him but have been a proponent of these pads since I learned about them and used them on a motorcycle. 

You can learn more about these pads online as well as buy or order at any local motorcycle shop. I encouraged him to offer up a special something to members of this sort of community because you're normally able to get some sort of special deal somewhere on the products you by. 

He's loaded a coupon code into his online store here: https://www.therealcraigj.com/wild-ass/store/

Coupon code at checkout is: WA2018XLADV

This code on his site gets you 10% off, shone extra stickers and free shipping in the United States. 

If any basic (non-technical) questions, feel free to reply here, message me or hit up @therealwtherealwildass on Instagram or other social media as he's pretty responsive there.  

Thanks!

Brian

20180305_185659.jpg

20180306_122346.jpg

20180305_183651.jpg

• Like 3

In hindsight, it may be worth mentioning that when I was first considering seat/pad/cover options that I was immediately concerned that it'd make my already very tall bike, much too tall (2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R)

The reality is that you run these seat pads NEARLY FLAT so it's not an issue in the way I had first imagined. 

You not only DON'T air it UP, you actually reduce the amount of ambient air within the cushion by rolling flat most all of the cells. 

I guess there is a slight learning curve for this sort of product, in that way, that isn't always discovered at first.

Just thought I'd include that for anyone looking for a solution to long rides, sensitive backsides or combo of those things ??

Again, I don't work for the company but I'm a believer in this product if you do long hauls or just run into pressure point pain issues while riding - or even sitting at a desk. 

Wondering why the w/gel model is less expensive?  is it not as well protected or durable as the -"standard" one?  Does the gel got hot/warm in the sun..lessening some of the 'comfort'?  You pictured the gel model, so if removing most of ambient air are you just basically using a gel pad?

Edited by elron
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elron said:

Wondering why the w/gel model is less expensive?  is it not as well protected or durable as the -"standard" one?  Does the gel got hot/warm in the sun..lessening some of the 'comfort'?  You pictured the gel model, so if removing most of ambient air are you just basically using a gel pad?

hey elron,

I have ridden all 3 types of these pads...

the highest end of price ($200+) is "classic" models

the classic is neoprene rubber and costs most to produce. it's said to have best feel since it has more stretch/flex and better shock/vibe absorption qualities. this is the build that the other air cushion company was made popular for but quit producing a couple years ago due to (I believe) high material and labor cost to build.

the lowest priced (~$100) version is the "lite" models

the lite is a polyurethane material and is least expensive to produce. its material is not as flexible so it's limited in it's absorption capabilities and what it transmits to rider.

the sort-of Goldilocks priced ($175) version is "airgel" models

this one is polyurethane with gel embedded in the final portion of the cushion so it is supposed to be best of both worlds (air for adjustability & gel for absorb quality)

I think for me the differences and considerations, end up:

the classic / neoprene is definitely the cushion that provides the best ability to contour to my backend best, at a wider level of inflation (or really deflation). by that, I find that it isn't as particular to air level to feel cushy and contoured to me, rather than feel like I'm sitting on an inflated device. I still need it to be at ambient pressure and then I still fold over the pad on itself and remove any trapped air from all but like 3 or 4 cells... important but true with all of these air cushions.

the lite model is definitely the killer value. with as many things on these bikes as we have on our wish list at any point in time, if the long rides could be better comfort-wise for you - or - you do 2up and need to buy a couple ... I'd say the lite is maybe the best option for any budget conversation, since unless you've ridden the higher priced stuff, these are awesome at $99. 

the airgel - for me - is my favorite. when removing most of the air from it (making them feel totally flat with a basic put your hand on it on the seat test) you can get it all the way down to no air trapped in any cell and still be on a nice vibe absorbing gel material. one that should be better than typical gel pads since it still has small air channels between cells to let the air move and not get so hot as gel pads are sort of notorious for. I have not yest ridden the airgel in hot temps but it's the one I'd buy for best all around performance for the money...

Again, I don't work for the company ... but I do know the owner and he isn't on these forums ... so I'm glad to be a bit of go-to for questions and my personal evaluation of them but I'm not exactly an expert in this product.

I'd say durability is the same for all 3 builds but maybe over time the highest priced one (classic aka neoprene) should remain more pliable and potentially last longer due to that.

Hope it helps!

Brian

• Like 2

Thanks for the thorough and informative response.  I'll ponder my options.

• Like 1