Boot Feedback

I'm totally a fan of using the right protection. ;) That said, I recently did a barrel roll with my midfoot while wearing Forma's Adventure Boots. Zero breaks occurred; however, I sprained my foot so hard I haven't been able to put any pressure down for a few days now. Could this have been avoided with a different pair of boots?

Photo-Apr-09,-3-50-50-PM.jpg

Photo-Apr-10,-12-53-03-AM.jpg

Photo-Apr-10,-12-53-08-AM.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yes. The forma is a very comfy, but very flexible. I'd look at something like the Alpinestars Toucan ADV boot. Or, step into the off-road realm of boots like the Gaerne SG12, Sidi Crossfire, or TXC Comp Evo (what I wear). But, keep in mind that while full offroad or mx boots offer tons of protection, they aren't as good for walking, should that be something that you do much of on rides. But, I'd rather walk a little goofy or carry a pair of slip on shoes vs. have an injury like yours. I had the Formas, but did sell them b/c I felt they didn't offer up the protection that I really wanted when I switch to a KTM 690 Enduro R. Foot injuries suck b/c it's a complex part of your body that carries all our weight.

alpinestars_toucan_gore_tex_boot_750x750

answer-gaerne-boot-charcoal-gray.jpg

p33637.jpg?ver=1523170800&auto=format&lo

9661-COMP_EVO_MICHELIN_dark_grey_orange_

• Like 3

I went straight to the AStars Tech7. I ride a big heavy bike and going off road I wanted big protection. I have to say that they are super comfy as well! One dab of the foot off road onto a small rock could ruin your day with a soft boot. I don't walk much in them and when I do I get lots of looks because people can usually hear me squeaking! 

RPM

• Like 3

Thank you for the feedback! I'd be more than happy to squeak or walk uncomfortably than not walk at all.

I'll look for the above mentioned boots before my next excursion. It just wasn't worth the risk for someone as new to dirt as myself. That one lil blip was a total show-stopper and I felt great otherwise.

• Like 1

You are actually lucky!.    I have TWO FRIENDS WHO BOTH BROKE ANKLES WITH FORMA BOOTS!!!   They are no better than sneakers!!!   I always buy hinged boots like Alpine Star or Sidi, multiple crashes (some with the bikes landing on my foot and being pinned under)   and zero issues!    Can walk and even hike with Sidi Adventure boots too.

• Like 2

The BMW GS Pro boot is the Forma Dominator Comp 2.0.  One thing i was noticing, at ADV days, is that Forma touts having the up down flexibility (for shifting braking dexterity, while having better lateral and rotational protection with their integrated double hinged “brace”.  However, as we well know, for that Achilles’ tendon hyper extension protection... gonna have to try a different boot for sure.  I snapped mine in a Sidi Crossfire 3.  Gonna be researching some other brands to try for the next go around. 

• Like 2

Please post pics of which boots you were wearing and what exactly a barrel roll refers to.  Too much room for interpretation.

I have the following and anyone who thinks these are no better than sneakers has never worn these or sneakers.

https://www.formabootsusa.com/collections/dual-sport-adv-boots/products/forma-adventure-motorcycle-boots

I don't think they are as good as a full mx boot but for ADV riding I am quite happy with the trade off.  I wouldn't use them for hard core off-roqad but that is why they are called an adventure boot.

NC

I was wearing the Forma Adventure Boots. Don't get me wrong: they did a great job protecting my leg, and I understand after this post the various levels of boot protection now. (I only started riding dirt November '17)

I would not say what I was doing was considered "hardcore." The dump did no damage to the bike, but my right foot was able to twist from the Lisfranc to the toes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numbercruncher said:

Please post pics of which boots you were wearing and what exactly a barrel roll refers to.  Too much room for interpretation.

I have the following and anyone who thinks these are no better than sneakers has never worn these or sneakers.

https://www.formabootsusa.com/collections/dual-sport-adv-boots/products/forma-adventure-motorcycle-boots

I don't think they are as good as a full mx boot but for ADV riding I am quite happy with the trade off.  I wouldn't use them for hard core off-roqad but that is why they are called an adventure boot.

NC

yep, sorry dude, those are the ones I had to cut off my buddy’s foot after riding him 20 miles to the ER with a tib/fib fracture, it was flapping off on the side the whole way - nice visual.   Same as my other friend had when he dumped it in the mud, then picked it up and rode himself home with a busted fibula.

Me, gotta have hinges.

• Like 1